1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2009 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

With a week and a half left until the NFL draft, I didn't think it was too early to start a thread discussing this year's event. My Eagles have 12 picks overall and 2 in the first round. There have been talks of them trading for Boldin, Edwards, and Ocho Cinco at the wide receiver spot and Peters at the tackle position. The only possibility I see there is Ocho Cinco but I don't see Reid trading for another primadonna type of wide receiver. A Yahoo! report said that Edwards to the Giants is imminent and the Brown would get 2nd and 4th round picks along with Hixon. Boldin's and Peters' asking prices will probably be a 1st and a 3rd and I don't think the Eagles will give that much up, especially when both want to be paid like the top players at their positions.

Some other things I am interested in on the upcoming draft: How far do Andre Smith and Percy Harvin fall? Some analyst still have both as first round picks but others aren't so sure. Will there be any more big time trades? I'm not thinking there will be, the NFL just doesn't seem to work that way. What will the top 10 draft picks look like? It seems like it is pretty set but at the same time it could go any way but then again it seems like this every year.

Oh well, that's all I got for now, what are you all thinking about the upcoming draft?

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

What is more boring than the NFL? The NFL draft.

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

As an Eagles fan, how do you feel about the "experts" predicting that the Eagles will trade up to grab the 15th pick from the Texans if the right lineman (Oher) is still there?

ESPN tossed around this one last week (1st and 2nd for 1st and 4th):

Eagles trade No. 21 (800) and No. 53 (370). Total of 1,170

Texans trade No. 15 (1050) and No. 112 (70). Total of 1,120

WalterFootball.com throws out a similiar scenario (two 1sts for 1st and 2nd):

Eagles trade No. 21 (800) and No. 28 (660). Total of 1,460

Texans trade No. 15 (1050) and No. 46 (440). Total of 1,490

As a Texans fan who feels that they are reaching to grab Matthews/Cushing at 15, I like the move. I think they should trade down again. I also dont see Oher falling past San Diego if he makes it to 15.

4. Lil Pun

The last time the Eagles traded up in the first round it was to select Shawn Andrews. I believe they're more likely to trade down as has been with the past 2 drafts.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It's being rumored that Edwards to the Giants is all but a done deal. I don't think Andre Smith will far that low, he's made some really dumb mistakes but a lot of that is on his agent's part, LTs are a premium in this league and he has the talent to be a Top 5 pick. Harvin was being projected as a mid to low 1st rounder and I think at worst, he'll be drafted very late in the 1st.

As far as the Texans, I'd love to trade down and grab Cushing/Matthews (I think one of them would still be on the board if we trade down just a bit), but if we stay at #15...Cushing, Matthews, and Jenkins would all be decent picks.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Eagles have 12 picks already and you think they will trade down? Damn, that would be a lot of rookies on your team.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Harvin might fall hard. The positive test for weed and his so-called character issues are really pummeling him at the wrong time. Couple that with the fact there aren't a lot of WRs to begin with being looked at as first round picks, and he could last until the 2nd.

Obviously I think the Raiders need to address wideout, defensive line, and safety.

I'd like to see BJ Raji or Michael Crabtree fall to 7.

8. Lil Pun

That's Reid's style though. Sign a bunch of young guys, develop them, if they turn out good sign them to multi-year contracts then when they decline or get upset about their devalued contract let them go.

9. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Haha, what a r****ded statement. Why would you even come into an NFL draft thread to say this? Do you need attention?

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Probably a soccer fan.

Probably a mexican soccer fan.

Probably a mexican.

11. gucci888

I think you'll see 2 or 3 WRs going in the 1st round. Crabtree and Maclin are locks, Harvin and Heyward-Bay could also be but one of those guys (if not both) will fall into the 2nd.

As far as your Raiders...Raji will very likely be available at #7.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah it is always funny when people do that.

You start a rap thread, someone comes in and says people still listen to rap?

Any man who doesn't watch football should have their man card revoked.

13. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Two things I'm hoping for this draft.

1. Texans do not take a running in the first

2. Crabtree to the Raiders

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Are the Lions taking Crabtree, Maclin, Nicks, or Bey?

15. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

As a Lions fan I just hope who ever they take thery turn out to be a great pick. I'm hoping maybe Stafford, and maybe he can turn into another Tom Brandy.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Isn't Jason Smith from Baylor a possibility?

A Baylor player going # 1 would be crazy.

1 person likes this.
  17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think you guys missed Ziggy's joke.

Ziggy is going down tonight in the Leba Leagues :cool:

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LOL! Probably so. Just hasn't been my year in the fantasy world.

19. gucci888

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Dude. This is messed up. What gives? Not funny, sir. Please take this back.

EDIT: removed

#20 SwoLy-D, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009