1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2003 NCAA football predictions

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rocketfan83, Aug 29, 2003.

1. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I agree with most of your predictions, although for Heisman, I'd have to say Kellen Winslow Jr, I don't see Auburn taking the SEC, and KSU will not be in the title game.

Ohio State lost Maurice Clarett for 6 games, during a pretty tough non-conference stretch. He's not the entire team, but I don't know if their new recruits can fill the void that their defensive starters (like Doss, Will Smith, etc) left by going to the NFL. They will probably be in bowl games, maybe even a BCS, but I don't know if they can take the Big 10. It's looking real competitive this year.

UT will only go so far as Mack Brown's confidence...which is to a loss at the title game AND at the Red River Shootout. I love UT but hate Mack Brown...

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Miami, Miami, Miami....They're the only team capable of blowing out any other team in the country on any given night. They would tear up any Big 12 team, including Texas, OU, and KSU.

Ohio State is the 2nd most talented team, but will suffer a minimum of two losses because of their difficult schedule this year. Also, losing Clarett for three games hurts them some too. They were very close to finishing 9-3 last season, but had plenty of big plays and luck in key situations. Nevertheless, their defense returns 9 out of 11 starters from last season, including stud DB, Chris Gamble. Also, Craig Krenzel returns at QB, and Michael Jenkins at receiver. As far as Michigan goes: John Navarre will be responsible for at least 2 losses all on his own.

Auburn is waaaay overrated. They're talented, but have a tough schedule, and will likely fall to USC tomorrow. I see Tennessee regaining control over the SEC after a couple of down seasons. Fulmer had recruited lights out the past few seasons, and his team isn't so young anymore. They have a senior QB in Casey Claussen who has tons of game experience. Coach Mark's Richt's Georgia team is poised to make another run at the SEC title, but losing guys like star RB Musa Smith hurts. Don't count Florida out either. Ron Zook has been under tons of pressure after a terrible rookie coaching season at UF. Dark horse is Ole Miss, under senior QB Eli Manning.

PAC 10 will have another down season, but USC is a top team. Like Texas, their new QB has been groomed under a talented QB a long time before taking over. USC has the 4th best receiver in the nation in Mike Williams, and an awesome RB in Reggie Bush. They have more than enough weapons to dominate the PAC 10 once again. They will get a push from Washington, led by senior QB Cody Pickett, and stud wideout, Reggie Williams. Also, the dark horse here is Arizona St. Their QB, Walther, is a badass, and will make some big plays this year.

Much as I hate to say it, Stoops will send his team to another Big 12 Championship this season. Their defense is tougher than last year, and they will have just enough offense and field position to score a few points here and there. This is a D with 4 AA's on it: Lehman, Harris, Everage and Strait. KSU's secondary is vulnerable, and some creative playcalling can freeze their talented LB's, Hickson and Buhl. Texas will finish 11-1, and earn an at large BCS bid to the Orange Bowl. OU wins the conference at 11-1 (beats the Horns, wins tiebreaker) and goes Fiesta bowling in Tempe.

Conference champs:

ACC: Florida State
    Big East: Miami
    Big 10: Ohio State
    PAC 10: USC
    SEC: Tennessee
    Big 12: Oklahoma

Fiesta: OU - Texas (at large)
    Orange: Florida St. - Va. Tech (at large)
    Rose: Ohio St. - Tennessee
    Sugar: USC - Miami

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I agree about "apparent" 6 games he will miss. Included is Washington, NC State and Wisconsin all top 20 teams. I'm not so worried aboyut Wahsiton tonite, but NC State and Wisconsin (on the road and at night) will be tough.

Will Smith is back. He opted to stay, thankfully. Our D will be fine I think. We lost Doss and Nickey our safeties but Will Allen will do great at one of the safety spots (he played in our nickel last year). We lost Cie Grant at LB but Hawk will be a much better player than him. Our biggest hole may be MLB where Wilhelm was. Pagac will start there. He is a good player but VERY injury prone.

And the Big Ten will be tough. I agree OSU will probably lose a game this year, I just can't figure out if it's NC State or Wisconsin. If it's Wisconsin we will have a hard time winning the Big Ten (since the conference awards the Championship in tie situations to the team who hasn't won it in the longest). But there is so much depth inthe Big 10 (OSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, watch out for Purdue) all should/could be top 25 teams, so it wouldn't shock me to have OSU lose one conference game and see several other teams with 2+ losses.

Honestly I don't see alot of undefeated teams his year, so that's why I'm hoping OSU with one loss can make it to New Orleans (strength of schedule, starting near the top so 1 loss shouldn't drop them too far, and if they lose I'm couting on it being early so they'll still have time to move back up the polls)

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Damn, I love it when I am right!:D

BTW - what in the hell is Oklahoma thinking wearing those uniforms? Do they think they are the reverse Stanford? Even their damn helmets are bland now without the "OU". Surely, they can't think that those unis and helmets look better than the old ones. shakes head

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Actually, they are the old ones. :) They're throwback uni's and I believe it's only for one game.

I'm not sure if that game means that Auburn blows or USC is the real deal. Probably a little of both. USC's defense was downright scary.

6. mduke

mduke Member

They're a 1-game tribute to Bud Wilkinson's days.

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Vandy wont make a bowl...again.....which will end up leading to me getting killer tee times during bowl season...

8. mduke

mduke Member

I may have to change my opinion on OU after seeing them perform tonight....I don't know about you guys but the offense looked damn good:eek:

And oh yeah, Auburn sucks!!!:)

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Oh, that makes sense. As much as I dislike OU, I do respect them and feel that their unis are some of the best in college football.

mateo,

Did you know that the odds of Vandy winning the SEC is like 500 million to 1? I heard someone today talk about how much "improved" Vandy is since they only lost to Ole Miss by 3 points today. Puhleaze---they only lost to Ole Miss by 7 last year in Oxford.

10. P. Moon

P. Moon Member

:D

Damnit! Did I say Auburn was going to smoke USC, what I meant to say was....

11. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Big 12-Kansas State

Big 10-Michigan

SEC-LSU

Pac-10-USC

Big East-Virginia Tech

National Title Game-USC v. Michigan