1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2001 NBA Finals are in Trouble

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketMan Tex, Jun 5, 2001.

1. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

"Sunday night's game, which Philadelphia won 108-91, drew a 10.2 preliminary rating on NBC Sports, the biggest viewership for an NBA playoff game this season.

However, it was well below the 14.5 overnight rating produced by the Lakers' victory over Portland in the deciding game of the 2000 Western Conference finals.

Game 6 of the 76ers-Bucks series, on Friday night, drew a 7.4 overnight rating, 6 percent lower than Game 6 of last year's Eastern Conference finals, when Indiana eliminated New York.

Through the first 28 games of the NBA playoffs -- before the last two games in the East -- NBC was averaging a 4.7 national rating, down 11 percent from 2000."
    _

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

So much for the finals being boring I guess...

------------------
    The season's over, but the 'Stros have started. Guess I'm still gonna be nursing that keg...

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

So many people have been so wrong in this thread that it isn't even funny. I mean so wrong, and not just on one subject, from the "trouble" prediction to the "greatest playoff ratings ever." Comon people, think before you type.

NBC heartened by Finals Game 1 ratings
    Associated Press

NEW YORK -- A thrilling Game 1 of the NBA Finals reversed the league's sagging TV ratings.

The Philadelphia 76ers' 107-101 upset of the Los Angeles Lakers in overtime Wednesday night drew a 15.2 overnight rating on NBC. That's 19 percent higher than the overnight number for the Lakers' 17-point victory over the Pacers in Game 1 last year.

Overnight ratings measure the largest 49 U.S. television markets, covering about 65 percent of the country. Each rating point represents 1 percent of the TV homes in those markets.

Philadelphia was the highest-rated market with 41, followed by Los Angeles with 32.9. The rating in New York, the No. 1 market, was 12.7.

The national rating was expected late Thursday.

The preliminary number was encouraging for NBC, which is in the third year of a $1.75 billion, four-year NBA rights contract.

Heading into the best-of-seven championship round, the network's NBA playoff ratings averaged a 4.9 nationally, 14 percent below 2000 -- which had been the lowest for NBC.

Ratings in the regular season averaged a 3, 12 percent below last season.

It's a continuation of the tremendous drop in viewership for NBA games on NBC since 1998, Michael Jordan's final season, when the title series between his Chicago Bulls and the Utah Jazz averaged an 18.7 rating.

------------------
    "I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time."
    -Marilyn Monroe

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Kim -- what have people been wrong about? I think the big problem NBC is having is the likelihood of this being a short finals. They get less money with each game lost. They are now assured of at least 5 games, so I'm sure they (and the NBA) are happy.

5. Heath

Heath Member

Assured of 5 games?

I guess if 76ers take the next 3 games there wont be a 5th game so they are not assured yet.

But if you say there probably will be 5 games or more you are likely right. But I think it was going to be more than 4 games no matter who won the first game.

------------------
    The CC.net NBA Sim Board/Homepage

6. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Closer games mean better ratings. Longer games mean better ratings.

Nielsen counts a program as "watched" by one household if a TV stays on the same program for 5 consecutive minutes.

So, the closer the game, and the longer it goes on, the better the chances of any channel surfer to stick with it for 5 minutes.

So, since the game spilled way into the Tonight Show timeslot, and was close through most of the 4th and OT, it got a big rating.