1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2001 NBA Finals are in Trouble

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketMan Tex, Jun 5, 2001.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I don't know about everyone else on this BBS, but I doubt I'll pay any attention to this year's NBA Finals. Why? The main reason is that I think the Fakers will win in a walk. The Sixers are banged-up, and they will be lucky to win one game.

It looks like NBC is sensing trouble as well. Actually, they may be sensing catastrophe.

The Chronicle reported today that they will have "halftime entertainment" (ala the Super Bowl) rather than game analysis during each game of this year's finals. They will have U2 performing during game 1, Destiny's Child performing during game 4, and during games 2 & 3 they will have mini-episodes of "Weakest Link" with "celebrity contestants" Bill Walton, Steve Jones, Lisa Leslie, Bob Costas & Baron Davis.

Pass the barf bag. I have absolutely no interest in this year's NBA Finals whatsoever. I think I'd rather watch grass grow.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I don't think the Finals will be as bad as people are making them out to be.

If anyone can slow down Shaq, it's Dikembe Mutumbo. Historically, Mutumbo has always done very well against Shaq, so that will be a major factor.

Kobe will definitely give the 76ers something to worry about, but Iverson should really light it up too.

I think the Lakers will win, but the Sixers should be able to snag 2 games from them, so it won't be a total media disaster.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I tend to disagree, fellas.

I think the Lakers will sweep, the halftime entertainment will not be able to save the dismal television ratings, and the only people watching it will be in Los Angeles and Philadelphia.

Call me a pessimist, but that's the way I see it.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't think it is going to be a sweep. No way the Lakers go into Philly and sweep them there. The 76ers will win a game or 2 there, and I think they are MORE then capable of taking Game 1 in LA. I think this series will be a lot closer then people think.

------------------
    "I'm not here to protect my reputation, I'm here to make my reputation! Mama Barkley didn't raise no chumps!" - Charles Barkley

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Pessimist! [​IMG]

------------------
    I hope, when they die, cartoon characters have to answer for their sins.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Uh, I'm watching the finals because I like basketball. I'm assuming there's going to be a lot of other people in this country who are going to do so too. I'm also assuming that any one who posts in this thread saying he is not going to watch the finals is going to watch at least some of the finals. As for the halftime stuff, it does look interesting. After a season of entertainment from Chuck, Jet, and that other guy on TNT, I find the NBC guys boring.

------------------
    "I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time."
    -Marilyn Monroe

7. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

Weakest Link with Bill Walton...I'm not a fan of either so that might be entertaining. I'll watch just to see her say, "Bill Walton - you are the weakest link...goodbye."

------------------

8. Band Geek Mobster

Hmmm I wonder who's the strongest link in that group...

------------------

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Destiny's Child?

I'll be tuned in!

Art Vandolet, ain't that the truth!

------------------
    "They couldn't shoot, rebound, or pass, but other than that, they played great!"

-Bill Walton

10. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I guess you haven't heard. Ahmad, KJ, and Peej will be onstage with U2 and Destiny's Child, showing off their best dance moves.

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Hmmm.... I'm a Rockets fan living in Utah, and I'LL be watching...

Oh well, I guess I'm just a bigger fan of the game itself than most... I'm bummed already cause after another week I won't get to watch a real game till October...

[​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

12. Kurupt the Kingpin

I'd bet someone a million dollars (if I ever had that much) that Baron Davis is the first one voted off.

------------------

13. pooh222

pooh222 Member

I started a thread similar to this a few days ago. I'm not a Laker or a Sixer fan, but I know dominant basketball when I see it. The Sixers can't do anything with the Lakers, they are totally outmatched. The only chance the Sixers have is over confidence on the Lakers' part, which I don't see happening. The Lakers are focused on sweeping through the playoffs. Therefore, this series, as far as basketball is concerned, is more than likely going to be short and lopsided, therefore BORING!!!!

------------------

14. Valio!

Valio! Member

Im hoping the Lakers will win it in four so we can go ahead and close the book on this season - and really start looking forward to next season.

hahaha...bill walton the weakest link? the missing link maybe...

------------------
    "The difference in this (tied) series has been Dikembe Mutombo" - Bill Walton

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

That show is so bad, it is just about guarenteed that Bill Walton will win.

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

16. Band Geek Mobster

Man I'll take that halftime entertainment over watching those 3 drones and their Net Zero Halftime "Show".

I'm looking forward to the Finals just because I can't stand the Sixers and it will be fun to watch them get destroyed by the Lakers. I wonder if we'll be seeing Iverson's kids and Mom when his team gets slaughtered by Shaq and Kobe?

------------------

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I honestly think the finals will be fine. They definetely have the Superstar factor (Shaq, Kobe, AI), two large markets (Philly & LA), and a story (David-Goliath, No playogg losses, or who was the MVP).
    I cpould be wrong but I'll definetely watch it.

18. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Never Mind, I was wrong. Misinformed. [​IMG]

Ratings for the first and second rounds were the highest ever.

So, no I don't think the 2001 NBA Finals are in trouble.

And, yes I will watch, both the games, and the halftime shows.(Destiny's Child [​IMG])
    ------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

[This message has been edited by vj23k (edited June 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by vj23k (edited June 06, 2001).]

19. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Do you mean attendance? Because I'm pretty sure that the ratings are in the toilet this year.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

It's back...

Protrolls.com!

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why, praytell?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin