1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20,000 Trees to Spruce up Houston freeways for Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bigtexxx, Jul 20, 2003.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

It seems our local leadership has finally come to the realization that the drive from Bush airport into downtown is absolutely hideous. The answer: plant 20,000 trees on 45 and 59. I think it's a great idea. Why it has never been addressed to date, I don't know, but imo, better late than never. The North freeway is just repulsive with those billboards, strip clubs, furniture stores and endless car dealerships. 59 is only marginally better, because a lot of the area isn't over developed.

Another absolutely disgusting area is 290 and the Beltway. The corten steel is rusting out and running all down the cement poles. Just atrocious.

Here's the article from the Chronicle this morning:

Ugly? Leaders see the blight
    Landscaping most freeways part of Super Bowl plan
    By BILL MURPHY
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

It was just three words in a 2,500-word essay in The Economist magazine a couple of years ago, but to Charles McMahen they still sting:

"Houston is ugly."

Though the article about the city was largely positive, and the ugly reference was aimed broadly at Houston's sprawl, lack of zoning and other issues, McMahen cites the sentence when talking about an initiative to improve the city's gateways.

"Clearly, 59 North, the Hardy Toll Road and 45 North are really in need of some work," said McMahen, chairman of the Quality of Life Advisory Committee of the Greater Houston Partnership.

Which of the three is least attractive?

"It's sort of like asking, `Which one of your children is ugliest?' " McMahen says.

Houston is expecting company -- lots of company -- on Feb. 1 when the Super Bowl is played in Reliant Stadium. The partnership, the Super Bowl Host Committee and other groups want to fix up the town before then, and landscaping the major entryways is part of the push.

Some civic leaders consider the North Freeway, with its heavy traffic and long stretches of garish signs, strip malls, car lots, topless clubs and modeling studios, such an eyesore that limo drivers may be asked to bring VIPs in on the Hardy.

"Hardy is at least a little greener. I wouldn't characterize it as scenic," said Bob Eury, executive director of the Downtown Houston Management District and a member of Houston Super Bowl XXXVIII's Host Committee. "That would be a little bit of an overstatement. It looks better than 45, it absolutely does."

Tell that to Jim McIngvale, a Host Committee member who owns Gallery Furniture on the North Freeway.

"Why don't we just hire Steven Spielberg and have him build us a big set that disguises the area?" McIngvale said. "To me, it's kind of ludicrous. Why hide what we are?"

It's not merely an aesthetic issue. The Quality of Life Advisory Committee of the Greater Houston Partnership and the Quality of Life Coalition think it's about ... well, quality of life.

Three years ago, the coalition, composed of 70 businesses, political and environmental groups, began a push to landscape highways, reduce visual blight and develop new recreational amenities.

"We spend too much time on these freeways not to have them look better than they do today," said McMahen, chairman of both Quality of Life groups. "We hope to have plantings on every freeway in the city over the next few years."

The coalition is aiming high. It wants the Texas Department of Transportation and the county to landscape all highways inside the beltway in the next five years -- work the coalition estimates would cost $75 million.

"We don't have $75 million," said Ethan Beeson, a TxDOT landscape architect who has helped design highway plantings in the Houston region.

A state law requires half of 1 percent of state highway construction funding in counties not in compliance with EPA air quality standards to be spent on highway landscaping.

Harris County qualifies. The money provides a steady stream for highway landscaping, but will not approach $75 million in the next five years, Beeson said.

As a first step, the coalition has urged that highways serving as gateways to the city from Bush Intercontinental and Hobby airports be landscaped. TxDOT and the county have agreed to try to complete the work before Super Bowl week.

This fall, more than 20,000 trees will be planted along the gateways: 7,544 along the North Freeway from Interstate 10 to Rankin, 8,915 along the Eastex Freeway from I-10 to Will Clayton and 4,350 on the Gulf Freeway from the Southwest Freeway to Beltway 8. The Gulf project will include 1,115 palms.

Beeson said the trees -- 7 to 10 feet tall -- will be planted every 8 feet where possible and mostly between highways and frontage roads. "Obviously, they won't make as much impact this January as they will five Januarys from now," he said. "There's nothing we can do about that."

The Greater Houston Partnership and the coalition also have pressed for landscaping along the Hardy from the North Loop to Beltway 8, a stretch not in danger of being designated "scenic" by the American Automobile Association.

TxDOT has agreed to plant trees from the North Loop to Crosstimbers, and the coalition wants the Harris County Toll Road Authority to do the rest.

But there's little room along the toll road for landscaping. Union Pacific's railroad tracks run along the west side of the highway for a long stretch, then between the north- and southbound lanes. Lining the road are older small homes, light industry, a few bars and some convenience stores.

Trees can't be planted near the railroad tracks because the roots could ruin buried fiber optic cable and the branches could pose a danger to trains.

The coalition wants oleanders, which put down relatively shallow roots, planted near the tracks and possibly some other plants elsewhere, said Bill Coats, a Quality of Life Coalition member negotiating with Union Pacific.

"We'll get it done," Coats said. "It's just a question of whether we can get it done by the Super Bowl. We'd like to make it a nice gateway into the city."

A massive landscaping project along a 3 3/4-mile toll road linking the Hardy to JFK Boulevard, the entrance to Bush Intercontinental, won't be completed until August 2004, however.

The Host Committee is leaning toward having Super Bowl visitors shuttled in and out on the Hardy, but no final decision has been made, Eury said.

The disdain for I-45 north rankles "Mattress Mac" McIngvale.

"I don't see anything wrong with taking them down the North Freeway. It's very dynamic. It's an example of free enterprise and capitalism, which is what built this country," McIngvale said. "It pays me and the 400 people who work here. I don't bite the hand that feeds me."

McIngvale has been active in promoting sports events in Houston. Gallery Furniture set up a $7 million line of credit to bring the 2003 and 2004 Tennis Masters Cups to the city.

"I can promise you this, that all the dignitaries coming in for the Tennis Masters Cup will be taken right by my store," McIngvale said. Local sports honchos "may mind coming down the freeway. But they don't mind taking my money for sponsorships at Reliant Stadium."

The Host Committee will inform limousine, taxi and shuttle drivers of recommended highways and roads during a committee-sponsored training session in January. Drivers will be advised to take Memorial Drive between downtown and Uptown. Main, Fannin and San Jacinto, which will be gussied up by the Super Bowl, will be the recommended routes between downtown and Reliant Park, said Eury of the Host Committee.

Along these routes, rye grass, which turns a lush green during winter months, may be planted in vacant lots and bare areas, Eury said. Pansies and cyclamens, flowers that do well in winter, also will be on display.

"In the middle of January, we have a chance to have a green city, flowered city, a blooming city," Eury said. "And it's a chance to show visitors what a nice climate we have."

The highway beautification projects to be completed before the game aren't the area's first.

About 11 years ago, to prevent slope erosion, trees and other landscaping were planted along parts of I-10 between downtown and the West Loop.

Many of the beautification projects over the last five years have been the work of TxDOT's Green Ribbon Project. It was launched because Houston had an image of being a sprawling web of unattractive, concrete corridors -- an image that sometimes made it hard to recruit out-of-town business talent, said TxDOT spokesman Norm Wigington.

"When they were trying to sell Houston, they were hearing, `This is not as attractive as going into Atlanta or going into San Francisco,' " he said.

Over the past five years, TxDOT has planted 30,000 to 40,000 trees annually in the region.

Massive projects have included planting 10,300 trees, including 300 palms, on the Gulf Freeway at Beltway 8; 12,000 trees on the Eastex Freeway at the North Loop; and 12,000 trees on the Southwest Freeway at Beltway 8.

About 3,000 trees are being planted along the Southwest Freeway near the arch bridges.

"Is it going to make a difference? Obviously, yes," said Beeson, the TxDot landscape architect. "We're planting thousands and thousands of trees. We're trying to green the corridors and make it more aesthetically pleasing."

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Should have been done a while ago, but I like the idea.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Once again the issue of Houston Flooding gets put on the backburner.

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Its about DAMN time.

And what is up with Matress Mac's b****ing?!?!? Free enterprise ??? maybe..... Uglier than homemade sin????... DEFINITELY. I would rather go down the Hardy from the airport.... I had a few friends come visit me from California earlier this year, and I sure as hell wasnt going to even let them glance at I-45. At least you can cruise and its not that bad scenery wise.

The behemoth that is I-45 is a clusterfu#k of car lots, strip malls, and miles and miles of ugly billboards. Not something you want to showcase to out-of-town friends, family, etc.

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i presume they will be removed after the superbowl, trees, what are they thinking, who wants to be driving and see trees????

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Well, at least it'll be something nice to look at while you're stopped in traffic . . .

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If these 'scenic' trees block my view of even *one* modeling studio or adult megaplexxx, I'm going to be outraged.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

mac just wants people to see his store on 45.

9. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

Like who in the f*ck doesn't know where his damn store is?

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The VIP people coming down for the game.

Us H-towners know where it is.

6006 I-45 North.

Exit Tidwell

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The whole idea of putting 20,000 trees on Houston freeways seems a little unsafe to me. We've got enough traffic to worry about without having to dodge a bunch of trees!

12. Drewdog

Who doesnt know where his store is??

Yeah and Im sure those out-of-town VIP people are going to be DYING to buy some freaking furniture when they get off the plane in Houston. I mean isnt that what you want to do when you go to New Orleans/San Diego/LA for the Super Bowl?

I can imagine the VIP's saying something like this when they get off the plane at IAH: "Fu#k the Super Bowl..... Where the hell is the closest furniture store around here???"

;)

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

But what I am saying is that Mac wants people to see his store and say, damn look at that tv screen he has outside. Is that THE Gallery Furniture store?

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Maybe he is afraid the trees will hide that horrible looking outhouse he calls a furniture store.

He's a joke and will probably only become MORE obnoxious as he gets older.

Go away, Mac.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The interesting this is that this isn't even part of the plan to plant one million trees in the Houston area by 2007 - a program the Houston-Galveston Area Council and the Greater Houston Partnership have been working on.

16. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

75 Million Dollars!!!!?

On trees? Are you guys friggin nuts?

How about we spend the money on infrastructure or policing or fire trucks or the homeless???

Men, this is the equivalent of all the wives who want to buy a new dress to wear one time to a party. You aren't going to be able to disguise the way Houston looks with a tree planting program, just like your wife is not going to look like Cindy Crawford or Tyra Banks in that new dress.

I agree with Mattress Mac - we are what we are.

Now if you want the city to look better in the long run, revise billboard laws and go that route.

17. Drewdog

LOL!

That thing looks like a McDonalds playland on steriods. It gets more annoying with each pass by.

18. Drewdog

Yeah oxygen sucks..... :rolleyes:

If anything Houston needs some more green!! I mean hell they only plow millions down each year to put up yet another freaking strip center. It helps the environment/pollution too which isnt a bad thing.

And builds some more parks for chrissake. Somewhere, where I can ride my bike when I come to town and not get run over by a soccer mom in an SUV.

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Once there was a tree...and she loved a little boy.
    And every day the boy would come and he would gather her leaves and make them into crowns and play king of the forest.
    He would climb up her trunk and swing from her branches and eat apples. And they would play hide-and-go-seek.
    And when he was tired he would sleep in her shade. And the boy loved the tree... very much.
    And the tree was happy.

But time went by. And the boy grew older. And the tree was often alone.
    Then one day the boy came back to the tree and the tree said,
    "Come Boy, come and climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and eat my apples and play in my shade and be happy."
    "I am too big to climb and play," said the boy. I want to buy things and have fun. I want some money. Can you give me some money?"
    "I'm sorry," said the tree, "but I have no money. I have only leaves and apples. Take my apples, Boy, and sell them in the city. Then you will have money and you wlil be happy."
    And so the boy climbed up the tree and gathered her apples and carried them away.
    And the tree was happy.

But the boy stayed away for a long time... and the tree was sad.
    And then one day the boy came back and the tree shook with joy and she said,
    "Come Boy, come and climb up my trunk and swing from my branches and be happy."
    "I am too busy to climb trees," said the boy.
    "I want a house to keep me warm," he said. "I want a wife and I want children, and so I need a house. Can you give me a house?"
    "I have no house," said the tree. "The forest is my house, but you may cut off my branches and build a house. Then you will be happy."
    And so the boy cut off her branches and carried them away to build his house.
    And the tree was happy.

But the boy stayed away for a long time.
    And when he came back, the tree was so happy she could hardly speak.
    "Come, Boy," she whispered, "come and play."
    "I am too old and sad to play," said the boy. "I want a boat that will take me far away from here. Can you give me a boat?"
    "Cut down my trunk and make a boat," said the tree. "Then you can sail away... and be happy."
    And so the boy cut down her trunk and made a boat and sailed away.
    And the tree was happy... but not really.

And after a long time the boy came back again.
    "I am sorry, Boy," said the tree, "but I have nothing left to give you- my apples are gone."
    "My teeth are too weak for apples," said the boy.
    "My branches are gone," said the tree. "You cannot swing on them."
    "I am too old to swing on branches," said the boy.
    "My trunk is gone," said the tree. 'You cannot climb."
    "I am too tired to climb," said the boy.
    "I am sorry," sighed the tree. "I wish that I could give you something... but I have nothing left. I am just an old stump. I am sorry..."
    "I don't need very much now," said the boy, "just a quiet place to sit and rest. I am very tired."
    "Well," said the tree, straightening herself up as much as she could, "well, an old stump is good for sitting and resting. Come, Boy, sit down. Sit down and rest."
    And the boy did. And the tree was happy.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

First, the billboard ordinance for Houston require that all freeway billboards must come down by 2007. That was enacted two years ago.

Second, the money for many of these trees will come from the Texas Department of Public Safety (TxDOT). They are responsible for things like this. Whatever TxDOT cannot cover will likely come from federal, state and local highway funding, all of which is earmarked specifically for highway improvement and beautification. There are often federal matching funds available for just these types of projects.

Thrid, the trees also help to fulfill a component of the state and federal environmental requirements for compliance with the Clean Air Act by 2007. The fact that we are not currently in compliance allows additional funding from state and local sources be made available for these types of projects.

Lastly, while the story focuses on beautification, the reality is that trees near freeways help absorb a tremendous amount of both air pollution and sound pollution. Trees are also extremely beneficial in holding topsoil in place allowing for better absorption and lessening the chance of flooding.

----

Just as a side note, this is often how issues like these become contentious. You take a look at it, see a high price tag and immediately wonder why making things look purty should cost so much.

This is a perfect illustration of why being educated about the process of government, especially locally, is so important.

And this is in no way a shot at you, Gutter Snipe. It is definitely a logical question to ask if you don't have all the facts.