1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Thanks, that makes more sense, so him opting in could drag this out for the long run. Well, I guess we will know soon enough. Maybe by 5:45 tomorrow!

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

@basketballholic I mean even you would have to agree that there needs to be at least an ounce of smoke soon.. you expect deals of this magnitude to happen in a couple of hours?

I have this at 1%

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If LeBron opts in, he wouldn't be able to leave for zero compensation. His leverage would be out the door. Cleveland could simply say "that doesn't work for us," and since LeBron is under contract, there's not much he could do.

And quite frankly, I really don't think most front offices/agents would be that upset with Gilbert, if that's the scenario that happened. If LeBron doesn't get his wish afterward, it's pretty simple what he could have done differently -- get the trade arranged in June, the same way CP did in 2017. Not that hard.

Daddy Long Legs and justtxyank like this.
  4. The Cat

I just don't buy that an opt-in without a trade agreement in principle would FORCE anything, other than Cleveland having the game's best player under contract for next season and without any recourse to leave (other than retiring). There'd be no scenario for Cleveland superior to keeping him.

You might be right, I obviously can't prove it. I'm just extremely skeptical.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We're all debating this as though it's LA or HOU when reality is it might be he's either signing with LA OR if they don't get what he wants in time he's opting in with Cleveland just to stick it out one more year and preserve his salary where it's at. I'm still not 100% why he would do that though. Logic would seemingly dictate that if it's LA or Cleveland he would just opt out and re-sign with Cleveland if LA can't work out what he wants. That would eliminate the whole timeline issue all together.

He opts out, tells Cleveland and LA that they both have to compete for him, see who lines up what he wants, and bam. If LA can work out deals he signs there for 4 year max. If they can't he signs a 1+1 again in CLE. The opt-in deadline being used as leverage is odd to me. Who is he leveraging that against?

Stack24 and Fullcourt like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that's why I think we have to hear something about him opting in and getting a trade within the next several hours if it is going to happen. Basically if the clock strikes midnight without hearing anything about Lebron opting in and getting traded, then he's either opting in and staying or throwing away his career in LA.

Hakeemtheking, The Cat and justtxyank like this.
  7. justtxyank

Why is he opting in with Cleveland? I hadn't really thought about this, but why would he create this artificial deadline if it's either CLE or LA?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

So not only has to opt in but put on his GM has and put together a trade. Yeah, this definitely ain't happening. I'm lowering my odds from 95% 0.001% to 0.000%

He should definitely opt out.

[​IMG]

slpntz, 1Deep, malakas and 1 other person like this.
  9. The Cat

Generally agree. I'd say there's a small chance of an early-morning leak, like what happened with PG today... but either way, if we're sitting here after lunch tomorrow without any concrete leaks, it's not happening, IMO.

10. sammy

I’m already looking forward to beating Lebron. Go to LA and get that ass beat

BMoney and dc rock like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he'd opt in to stay in Cleveland if he didn't think he could get the trade to a place he wanted to go and if he didn't think LA was a sure thing. He'd basically just be wasting another season at home and giving it a go next off-season.

To be clear, I'm only thinking this is the case if he really can't make up his mind and he dislikes all of his choices....but I guess it really wouldn't matter.

12. justtxyank

Disclaimer: I'm not arguing with you I'm working through this with dialogue

Why opt out though to stay in CLE? The CLE option isn't going ANYWHERE, so if he wants LA it seems like his best option is to opt out and give LA the freedom to try to build a roster. If they can't he can re-sign 1+1 with CLE. He never loses CLE as an option.

The only thing that disappears with the deadline is a deal to Houston.

13. aroundtheblock2

I can't imagine his mindset is anything other than, "If I leave, I MUST be in a GOOD championship situation." It would be stupid for him to leave and be on a team thats decent but clearly not a title contender, he can get all of that in Cleveland without creating a bunch of drama.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Alright, we're going in circles here. Maybe if we were at a cafe we could talk more, but no use repeating ourselves on a msg board.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

What if it all goes down with seconds to go before midnight, just like the Verlander deal?

There's still hope!

TheresTheDagger and DonKnock like this.
  16. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Fullcourt and DonKnock like this.
  17. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Anyone wanna give me a TL;DR of what happened today, if anything? Just got home.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

slight correction: The deadline is midnight tomorrow....ie, before June 30th

Players have all of June 29th to send in Player Option Opt-In paperwork.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No I get what you are saying and it makes sense.

20. sammy

DonKnock likes this.