1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What does this mean? Any implications?

DonKnock likes this.
  3. lionaire

lionaire Member

Someone needs to remind them that the '19 1st rounder they traded to Atlanta is only top 5 protected

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It means any of the following:
    1) They don't know anything for sure so they won't just let Randle go
    2) Lebron and PG are both taking less than their max to keep Randle
    3) Lebron has committed but not Paul George or vice versa
    4) They are keeping up the appearances of no tampering by making you think it's #1
    5) They know they aren't getting BOTH guys so don't want to lose Randle
    6) They are trolling us
    7) Nothing. Literally Nothing.

Wooderson, joshuaao, Fyreball and 7 others like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Right to match an offer in RFA, should they strike out on their other targets and conversely could renounce him if they need the cap room to sign their targets. Something like that...

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

they basically went all in on Doncic, they already traded away next year's pick. They want to make the playoffs with 1 big signing (Demarcus, Capela, Deandre) to go with Doncic

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Lolol good stuff

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Good guy Dirk has helped the Mavs ever since he's been on that team.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, here's a basic primer on the situation for @Rudyc281 to give you a more legit answer lol:

As a RFA, the Lakers can match any offer to Randle. He puts a cap hold though on the books of over $12 million. (think Capela)
    For the Lakers to sign TWO max free agents at their real max salaries, they need to move Deng and renounce Randle's cap hold.

So one takeaway here is that by keeping the RFA tender on Randle it means they at least don't know they are getting to max free agents.

The reason I threw out other scenarios though is because they could also try to get Lebron and George to sign for less than their max to make room for Randle or they could know Lebron or George is coming but not both so they will keep Randle or they know that at least one is coming so they want to keep Randle while the other one decides.

As you can see, it doesn't mean anything for sure yet.

jch1911, DonKnock and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

As much as I hate all things Dallas I actually like Dirk

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It MEANS they're going to let Randle go as soon as possible so they can take Capela just to spite y'all.

12. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

I love the progression Clint made this season. I also recognize he has enormous potential to develope a offensive game. But if it comes down to matching the Nets max offer I would prefer Deandre Jordan at 15-18/yr. Reason being...

1. We play small all the time. Rather have a 3 & D guy to space the floor in our iso heavy offense.

2. Deandre is a slightly better rebounder being built bigger and having a little better athleticism.

3. That savings allows you to add more depth to the bench as I didn’t really like the 6 man playoff rotation although I recognize why we needed to do it.

4. Deandre is better defensively. Would be surprised by his lateral quickness. Been a dominant rim protector his whole career.

Can’t simply rely on potential because it could all go south real quick. With all that said if we get rid of Anderson contract scratch this entire post.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

My bad, verily so. I remember '86 well (but brainfoofed due to being peeved at the ludicrity of the argument; i.e. Horry, HoF. Love Robert [but not that much]).

14. Ratman

Ratman Member

I am coming to grips with the fact lebron probably isnt going to come here (yes theres a small chance for me) but we have to do add some decent pieces. Who is to say that with a healthy iguadala that golden state doesnt beat us in 5? Probaby 6 in my opinion. So a 2 game swing on a team that will know we have a chance to beat them and they can add ring chasers, we still have to improve this roster. I dont personally believe we were a healthy hamstring away if both teams were at full strength.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

As I mea culpa'd to aeliot, my very bad. Of course I remember '86. Shoulda been a dynastic genesis but, alas, the desert awaited the arrival of Rudy T...

izeroi likes this.
  16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

A healthy Luc Mbah a Moute is much closer in impact to Andre Igoudala than a healthy Igoudala is to Chris Paul.

17. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I want Julius Randle to be a Rocket so bad.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'd be shocked if DeAndre is a Clipper in a week.
    Pacers one of several candidates for Marcus Smart.

- Zach Lowe on The Jump

BMoney, Vivi and DonKnock like this.
  19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Rockets were missing a defensive stopper of their own in games 3-5 (Luc Mbah a Moute). Also, Iguodala was terrible this year. His absence didn’t dramatically impact the outcome of the series.

All that said, I agree that the Rockets need to upgrade the roster to better matchup with Golden State.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

A couple of points.

Jordan hasn't opted out of his deal yet so he's still at $24m next year. When he does sign a new deal, its doubtful that he take a paycut to the $15-$18m range.

How do you plan to acquire Jordan. If he opts out then we're still over the cap when you include CP3's cap hold and the empty roster spot charges. It's likely that adding Jordan's new salary would put us over the tax apron and you are not allowed to receive a player in a SnT if you are over the apron at the completion of the deal.

If you have Jordan opt-in, then you still have to match salaries. Capela's new deal would be big enough that he'd be a BYC player. His outgoing salary for trade purposes would only be $12.5m but his incoming salary for his new team would be $25m. That complicates salary matching.

Finally, even if we could do the Capela for Jordan deal that you describe, that doesn't allow us to acquire other players. We'd reduce salary but we'd still be over the cap. So, no cap space to use to acquire additional players, we would just reduce the amount that we were over the cap by a little.