1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1995 Drexler Trade Post Mortem: Rockets Lose Big!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Patience, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am sure Morey would get a couple of 1st rounders from ESPN, and get that Knicks dude with a 3-way. :grin:

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

thank you...I still don't think I will be able to get over how unbelievably closed minded and biased some people are to blatantly deny facts...reminds me of the south park episode when it finally dawns on kyle that cartman truly believes all the messed up stuff he says to the point he blocks out reality....made my day

3. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

You deserve Carl Landry status just for this thread alone. Well played, sir.

4. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Awesome post. Second the Landry status

5. crocktees

crocktees Member

Great post. Hoping it will be even more relevant when Martin starts playing like Drexler...

6. crocktees

crocktees Member

Oh, and for those who posted you were too young to remember, yeah the Rockets were that bad after the trade. Until the playoffs of course :grin:

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

8. skatbone

skatbone Member

Hey folks. This is my first post and I was inspired to join ClutchFans when I ran into this thread yesterday after suffering through JCDenton's faux-analysis of post-trade winning percentages. Thank you, Patience, for humorously countering that knee-jerk inanity.

I've been lurking for a month and enjoying the threads. For those of you committed to grounded discussion rather than free-wheeling speculation, I appreciate your comments and analysis and I'm looking forward to the percolation of this new incarnation of the Rockets.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Loved Mad Max but once he quit on the squad vs Utah, HE DIED TO ME. Sorry, really am, but I have been holding that in for a LONG time and just had to spew my venom....I feel better now.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still was a factor in the Rockets 95 season record.

People didn't remember that Dream/Maxwell were both out for many games.

you can hate all you want, but that dude was fire that lit the blaze of clutch city.

lots of injuries, adjusting to a trade contributed to the Rockets being the 6th seed.
    Of course if Max/Dream were healthy the whole year, they'd be a higher seed.

Things would be different if the Rockets gave him an extension at the beginning of the season, but that my friend is a 'what if' question.

Max showed regret to the organization so let go your hate.
    remember the hero.

11. jason3333

jason3333 Member

awesome, eat crap jc, u just got served again

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I let go of the hate a while back but kept the frustration to myself, till now. I agree with you on all your points but, to me, quitting on your squad is just about the worst thing you can do as a teammate thus my displeasure for the 1994-95 version.

I will say my favorite Mad Max moment was during the first title run in game 3 vs the Suns, still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like the more subtle moments:
    http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1992_1032878

Maxwell has the tough task in tonight's game. Anybody responsible for slowing Jordan has a difficult night ahead of him.

But Maxwell has drawn strength from last year's confrontation with Jordan.

"We were just throwing elbows, which is fine," Maxwell said. "I don't care about elbows as long as they're below the neck. But I caught one in the face from him and got a little mad. It was in the heat of the moment and I was all wrapped up in the game.

"A lot of my home boys in Florida couldn't believe I did it. They told me I'd be blackballed after I did that to him.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1993_1108239
    The Rockets did it all without Hakeem Olajuwon scoring a basket in the second half. But he was ever the force with his shot blocking, intimidation and rebounding.

Olajuwon's work as goalie on defense allowed Vernon Maxwell to stick close to Michael Jordan, who had 26 points (six below his average) on just 12-for-27 shooting.

Of course, whipping the Bulls is nothing new. The Rockets swept the two-game series this season and have won five of the last six meetings. No team in the NBA has a better record against the Bulls since they became world champions two seasons ago.

14. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

26 points on 12-27 shooting is a bad night for Jordan, but a great night for every other NBA players haha

15. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

I like this Drexler-Thrope trade. We may win all the way this year. He is an excellent SG and just signed a contract that he will not get any where near a microphone as a commentator after he retires. Oh, and he will never coach any team either. Great to know Calvin Murphy's job is safe for next 20 years unless he screws up big time, which he will never do. :p

16. mFt82

mFt82 Member

I just want to get it on record, because nobody's really talked about it before now, but I miss Carl Landry and I wish we didn't have to trade him away. What if, fifteen years from now, people look back on that trade and think, "well, the Rockets could have had a real superstar." and in conclusion, I wonder if anyone else out there misses Carl landry like I do.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

How good Landry can be? Even if he turn out to be Horry good, we might not even misses him as we be busy cheering for the Champs. Fingers cross.

18. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

yeah that trade didnt turn out too good for the rockets. [/sarcasim]

19. TimBly15

TimBly15 Member

wow good *****!!

20. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

We won't know for at least a couple more years how that trade will work out. What if Tracy Murray turns out to be REAL good? He can play the point-forward position right? Oh, and I have much confidence in your stats. Great job!