1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1560 getting props from CHRONIC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Congrats, boys.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6573601.html

Sports station with independent streak brings its game

Radio station 1560 “The Game” bills itself as a David fighting Goliaths — “fourteen guys and a 12-pack” taking on three other Houston sports talk stations owned by Cumulus, CBS and Clear Channel.

Among the four stations, only 2-year-old KGOW 1560 is independently owned.

Can a David compete in a crowded field with media giants?

Some radio advertising executives say it can, because talk radio is all about personality. Advertisers aren't just interested in how many listeners you have, they say. It's also how loyal and passionate they are.

While 1560 has relatively few listeners compared to other stations, they tune in to the station for an exceptionally long time, according to Arbitron.

KGOW morning anchors John Granato and Lance Zierlein have a hard-core following. Their morning drive John and Lance Show is the one KGOW program that consistently beats the other three sports talk shows in its time slot.

Granato and Zierlein are, according to station chairman and CEO David Gow, “the foundation of what we do.”

A combination of sports analysis and irreverent humor, the John and Lance Show sounds like friends just hanging out. Granato often comes off like an affable blue-collar guy at the bar. Zierlein is a talented impersonator who does Charles Barkley, Mack Brown and a stylized take on Drayton McLane. The inventive Zierlein creates characters including “SEC Guy,” a surly Southern college sports fan with no regard for PC culture. Also a comedian, Granato does a Spanish-speaking Milo Hamilton.

Mark Hayden, partner/co-creative director of marketing and advertising agency Parker Hayden, noted that the number of listeners is important, but “what you really want is for the audience to be engaged. Engaged audiences act on our messages.”

Houston's BizRadio and political talk radio shows also have engaged audiences, he said.

“John and Lance all get along with our advertising clients personally,” Hayden noted. “For the client, it's like when you were in college. There was always a party going on in a dorm room down the hall, and 1560 is that dorm room,” he said.

During many hours of the day, KILT (610 AM) has the most listeners among Houston sports talk stations. For example, Arbitron reported that in July, between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., KILT had more than twice as many listeners during the week as KGOW, while KBME (790 AM) and KFNC 97.5 FM had fewer listeners than KILT and more than KGOW.

But during the week, males between 25 to 54, spent more than twice as much time listening to KGOW compared to KILT.

KGOW's “time spent listening” numbers are “pretty impressive” and “pretty unusual,” Hayden said.

The John and Lance Show is “really driving their ratings,” he said.

A rarity

An independent single station in a major market is rare, said Houston-based media broker John Saunders, who helped broker the sale of 1560 to Gow.

There are other local independent stations including BizRadio 1110 AM. Independent station KCOH (1430 AM) is in the process of being sold, noted its long-time majority owner Mike Petrizzo, who wouldn't say who the buyer is.

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 allowed media companies to own as many as eight radio stations in a single major market, Saunders noted.

Media giants like Clear Channel have advantages over an independent with advertisers, Saunders said. They can offer an advertiser discounts when it buys a bundle of ads for multiple stations, for example.

Ultimately, though, “content is king. If you give people what they like to listen to, you'll get advertisers and listeners,” Saunders said.

Michael Berry, operations manager of KBME and other local Clear Channel stations, noted that KILT had a head start on its competition, being the first in town, but said his KBME is performing well in terms of advertising revenue.

KBME markets itself around talent such as afternoon drive-time host Charlie Pallilo and nationally syndicated host Dan Patrick, he said.

David Tepper, program director of KFNC, said his station markets itself as being the only FM sports station and being the home of ESPN, a worldwide sports brand.

KILT is the official home for the Houston Texans and Houston Rockets. Officials from KILT could not be reached for comment.

KGOW's programing includes two Chronicle columnists.

‘It seems honest'

Tim Kuhlmann, a sales service rep, said he listens to 1560 regularly.

“They make you feel like you're a part what's happening” on the show, he said. “It seems honest. They'll divulge things about their personal lives.”

Kuhlmann said that he isn't surprised that KGOW will celebrate its second anniversary next week by throwing a bash with its listeners. Among the awards given out at the anniversary party will be “listener of the year,” “moment of the year” and “commercial of the year.”

david.kaplan@chron.com

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Notice David KAPLAN and not David BARRON wrote that article :D

Good for 1560. Easily my favorite sports radio station.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Every time I see the Chronicle referred to as "The Chronic", I think of

1. nwo started the thread
    2. that I can picture nwo actually being Dr. Dre

1 person likes this.
  4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

One, two, three and to the fo'
    Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre is at the do'
    Ready to make an entrance, so back on up
    [Cause you know we 'bout to rip **** up]

Gimme the microphone first, so I can bust like a bubble
    Compton and Long Beach together, now you know you in trouble

Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baaaaabay!
    Two loc'ed out *****'s so we're craaaaazay!
    Death Row is the label that paaaaays me!
    Unfadable, so please don't try to fade this [Hell yeah]

Repped, Manny. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I really want to like 1560, but I find it unlistenable at many times. Nearly podcast level quality.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Yea, maybe if I hadn't actually met NWO

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Oops, didn't mean that to sound harsh. Great guy, just not Gangsta in any way :D

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The majority of the time when I tune in, they're either not talking about sports or there's a commercial.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

easily the best station imo. The other stations get boring after discussing the same couple sports issues all day. 1560 does plenty of sports and other stuff. Just way more enjoyable for me.

10. CrazyJoeDavola

Ditto. I've tried turning in when big stories have broken only to find them rambling on about a bunch of non-sense.

It is has been close to 6 months since I have even tried to listen. 610 has my loyalty all the way.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I just don't understand the obsession.

Its sports radio.

I listen to it in my car.

I get sick of it within 30 minutes.

I like Clanton, and I like Wexler. Thats about it.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

so Miguel didnt start this thread?

:confused:

13. CrazyJoeDavola

I am with you on this. Clanton will dabble in non-sports, but it is brief and he doesn't get sidetracked with it like the guys over at 1560, who go off on tangents like they have ADD.

I think Clanton has the chance to do bigger and better things in his career down the road.

I'd be curious to see his ratings compared to other shows.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ya "chronic" is annoying to see in thread titles! So let me make a better thread title...

Mediocre paper slurps mediocre radio station

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm voting for Miguel for listener of the year.

**** Gilbert.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

One of my ALL-TIME favorite raps.

+1, rep

17. Poloshirtbandit

lol

Party at Gilbert's better win something. Best radio segment ever.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I can't listen to 1560 for more than 10 seconds, especially Goofball (Granato). To each his/her own.

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    But those are Snoop's lines...

More like this:

Well Im peepin, and Im creepin, and Im creep-in
    But I damn near got caught, cause my beeper kept beepin
    Now its time for me to make my impression felt
    So sit back, relax, and strap on your seatbelt
    You never been on a ride like this befo
    With a producer who can rap and control the maestro
    At the same time with the dope rhyme that I kick