1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

14.3 points, 9.7 rebounds, 1.5 blocked shots and 52% from the field as a starter...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gettinbranded, Feb 26, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

"That was the worst trade in the history of the NBA"

- Bill Walton on the Brand for Chandler trade when it
    happened.

2. Houstone

Houstone Member

Who gives a shiat...:mad:

3. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

haha No trace he ever existed.Nice work CC Crew :D

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

Hey gb - how'd Chandler look tonight vs the Magic, as the Bulls learned how to lose gracefully?

Seriously...didn't see the game but am interested to know how he played vs. Garrity and the Magic's other PFs.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

7 pts 7 rebounds :mad:

6. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I havn't watched the game yet, but sportsradio says that the magic came out hot and never cooled off.

7. BTM

BTM Member

I agree.

There aren't many players better than Brand.

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Maybe I do like Walton occasionally.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I'm 99% certain like I was in June, that Chandler will be a star. I was always skeptical about Curry.

Mainly because Chandler came into the NBA with skills. The kid was a great 3 pt shooter in HS, and I think he will bring that to the table in the NBA in a few years.

While Curry's only upside IMO, is his big body.

That's nice, but I just don't think he is anywhere near athletic or as strong as Shaq (the guy he's been compared to). What seperates Shaq from Stanley Roberts, and other fat ass Centers is that Shaq can run the floor well, pass, and dribble half decently for his size.

It is too early to judge Curry, I admit, but it will take him at lesat 7-9 years for him to develop the skills needed to dominate.

Chandler just needs to get some meat on his bones to become a solid SF/PF.

I assume the Bulls are planning to make him a PF, so I guess more familiarity with posting up is needed.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

But what's the point in trading a proven star for a possible star at the same position. Brand is a workhorse and a stud. Chandler is still an unknown and even if he turns out to be as good as Brand, or even somewhat better, why mortgage now for 4 years from now?

11. BTM

BTM Member

Chandler may be a star but will he be better than Brand?

Many GMs would sell their souls to get a player like Brand.

12. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

hey gb, you from chicago, too? hey man, da bulls gettin pretty exciting out there.

i didn't like the chandler-brand trade. brand was averaging 20-10 and they think chandler can post garnett like numbers IN THE FUTURE. what do they want, 22-10? two more points for two more years of suffering is not worth it. with brand, they would be a playoff team w/ rose, imo.

13. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Another loss...and to a team missing it's star. :rolleyes:

Teams are starting to look out for us, and the young guys havn't learned to cope with the pressure.

The thought was that Brand would only ever reach the level of a star (a la Eddie Jones) while Chandler has the opportunity to be a superstar (a la Vince).

Even if he only averages 20 and 10 across his career, I think Chandler may prove the more valuable player because he presents a matchup problem on offense and can change the game on defense. I also think his impact will be felt in the second half of next season, not in season 4.

So can Eddy. Why all the hate? He has good footwork and moves one on one down low---and is/will be a defender to boot. Runs the floor well and can finish on the break. Just needs time...

FWIW, I don't compare him to Shaq. More like...maybe webber in his size + athleticism and touch

I'm more certain of him making it than of Chandler being a superstar.

14. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

the bulls at their rate... will not be better than the clippers

they've got to hope jamaal crawford will come back with a fury next year and in conjunction with rose destroy pg's and do some serious ball handling and dishing to see the bulls move anywhere near am 8th playoff seed

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Elton Brand was going to leave the Bulls anyway. Fact. Da Bulls risked losing him for no compensation. That's why they made such a stupid trade. (Although Chandler will be a good player, will the Bulls be any good by the end of his rookie contract?)

Too bad Elton isn't still with the Bulls. You could say dealing Brand was premature on the part of Jerry "Crumbs" Krause. But I don't know if the Pacers would have made the Rose trade knowing a team in their division sported Brand, Rose, and Best.

#35 ROXTXIA, Feb 28, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2002
  16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Curry is absolutely nothing like Webber. Chandler is much more like Webber than Curry.

Curry doesn't have the dribbling/ballhandling skills, the passing skills, the athleticism, as Webber. Not to mention he doesn't have Tyra Banks.

Webber has way too many skills for him to a comparison for Curry.

Curry will only be effective in the NBA by using his big body.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

In 15 games as a starter Chandler has averaged;

24.1 minutes PG
    8.1 PPG
    6.1 RPG
    1.4 BPG
    0.9 APG
    0.7 SPG
    3.2 fouls PG
    51.3% FG
    60% FT

either gettinbranded is talking about his most recent games, or Chandler has had some shockers!

Anyway, he's only a kid, plenty of potential to grow, and at least the fact that Brand is gone is kinda off-set by the fact that Rose is now on the team; I doubt that they would've got Rose had they still had Brand (because Miller wouldn't have put up the numbers he did etc!). And those numbers might not be all that impressive (the 6.1 rpg is), but at least he gets lots of numbers all over the court! And the FG% is great for a kid!

I never really liked Chandler (mainly because it was a dumb trade for Brand), but I think he might be just fine if he doesn't have to be a primary scorer!

18. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Thanks for replying 10 days after the thread opened.:rolleyes: