1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#13 Houston vs UAB

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

What happened to all the confident "COOGS HOUSE >>>>> UT" comments before these stats were shown? Why the change of heart?

2. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Your stats haven't convinced anyone, when you have played good teams they blew you up. (Tech was a good team for 3 quarters in Norman then apparently declared victory and called it a year.)

Sad that fans of once mighty Texas are reduced to begging Cougar fans to "admit" that Texas is better.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Nobody cares about your stats. I went to the UT BYU game... Worst football game I have ever seen in my life. Keenum would never be so lame.

Cougs > UT Sadly if UT was better maybe they could get to defend themselves at a bowl game, but UH will be too busy to play in the scrub bowl.

1 person likes this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Who has UH played? Have they played any MNC contenders? They nearly got beat by UCLA and Louisiana Tech.

I find it comical that you think UT would be lucky to lose by as little as 14 points against UH. What do you have to support that claim?

And yes, CCorn, UT was bad against BYU. But if you bothered to look, UT has a different offense on the field now than it did in the beginning of the season.

5. AFS

AFS Member

Evidently, you didn't watch that game. It was much further apart than the score tells. UCLA scoring trash points at the end doesn't really matter.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not UT, maybe you should schedule us so we can find out who is better on the field.

7. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

What evidence can I possibly have. I've watched all the UH games and 2 UT games, it's all conjecture anyway, since UT won't play us because we had the unmitigated gall to insist on playing our home game against UT in our actual stadium. (We apparently defied the unwritten rule that UT gets their pick of any stadium in your city).

Sure my scenario is ambitious...I am a Cougar fan, in my scenario you run the ball well on us, but fumble a time or two, Case gives your pass D Landry Jones flashbacks and at some point Texas feels compelled to abandon the run.

We had a crappy 40 minutes against LA Tech. But I think it more than compensates for it that we were able to abuse them and salvage the win. Our bad performances this year have been W's. Texas was run out of Dallas in brutal fashion. Hopefully things will break right and we will have the opportunity to see if we can lay as colossal an egg against a top 5 program.

#147 Major Malcontent, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  8. Duncan McDonuts

Uh, not really. UCLA still had a chance to win that game. Applying your logic, UH's 28 straight points to take the lead over Louisiana Tech are trash points at the end that don't really matter (except they do) since LA Tech was further apart at the half.

Donny, I would like to see that game as much as any Coog would. However, it's not happening any time for the foreseeable future. Looking at the matchups is all we can do to speculate when fans are trying to claim superiority over others. Looking at it objectively, there is a huge advantage in 13th rush offense vs. 109th rush defense than there is 7th passing offense vs. 8th passing defense.

9. Duncan McDonuts

I won't deny it's a plausible scenario. Anything can happen on gameday. However, my opinion is UH doesn't have the talent that OU has at receivers. They won't be able to break down UT's secondary as well as OU's did.

You're hoping the best for UH and expecting the worst for UT. It works both ways. UH could end up throwing 2 INTs, something Keenum has done a few times in his career. It's quite a wash to depend on TOs like that, considering it can go both ways.

Is there any other objective data you can provide that leads you to believe UH would beat UT by more than 14 points?

10. Duncan McDonuts

One more thing I want to mention. I'm not trying to be bigtexxxxxxxxxxx here in terms of trolling. If you guys are going to take a position that I don't agree with, I want evidence. I can be reasonable as long as you make a valid argument.

For example, as much as I think A&M sucks, I think they have a legitimate shot of beating UT. Their offense is good enough and balanced to be able to score on UT every now and then. UT's passing offense isn't good enough to take advantage of A&M's bad pass defense, and UT can't rely solely on the running game which there isn't that much of an advantage over A&M's rush defense.

Now if you can show me something like that, then let's legitimately debate.

11. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

UT might rush for 400 against UH, but they would have too if they want to win. UH would score on UT at will. Speed Kills.

12. AFS

AFS Member

Basically, I think a UH-UT game would be a shootout. Game could go either way and the winner wouldn't have a large point spread. UH is basically running with the same offense it had in 2009, which produced wins over OSU, TTech, and Mississippi St., so it can score and win over quality opponents.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Do you have anything to support that UH's receivers are faster and can beat UT's secondary?

My data to support that UT's secondary would be able to hold their own against UH is that UT has the 8th best pass defense after having played the 3rd, 4th, and 5th best passing offenses in OU, OSU, Texas Tech, respectively.

14. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Big cougars fan right here...but I think UT would easily beat us, if they play halfway to their potential. They just have too much talent. The only position that i feel we're better at is at QB, and that's it.

15. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

The cowboys and sooners put 38 and 55 on you. UH plays lesser teams but they put up accordingly higher numbers.

16. Duncan McDonuts

OU did put up impressive numbers against UT. It was a bad game overall by UT, but good experience for a young secondary who have improved markedly since. Cowboys were held to a season low in passing yards and passing TDs. Tech was held to 1 passing TD by the starters. They got their 2nd passing TD in garbage time against the backup secondary when the game was already out of reach (see AFS, THIS is an example of trash time, not when it's a 2-score game in the 4th quarter).

When you look at these teams, the matchup is really in UT's favor. They run an option and wildcat offense that will wreak havoc against a poor UH rush defense. I don't doubt that UH will get theirs, but I still see that UT defense will get their stops more than UH would.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lately when I watch UT games Bevo isn't even watching he is so disinterested. If UH could get the rights to bring a live cougar on the field I promise it would never look away from Keenum's awesomeness.

18. AFS

AFS Member

I never said it was trash time. I said they were trash point. Bringing a two score game down to a one score game with a minute left to go isn't really useful if you never take the lead. UH had the lead and kept it from the very beginning. I would hardly call that almost losing to UCLA.

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

To begin I would like to present what they call the BCS or "Bowl Championship Series" It's kind of a big deal.
    [​IMG]

Houston 11
    Texas 16

Lets investigate further. How about the Associated Press Top 25 poll:
    [​IMG]

Houston 11
    Texas 21

That's pretty conclusive but..

LETS GO DEEPER. This is the USA Today/College Coach's Poll
    [​IMG]

Houston 11
    Texas 20

And for ****s and giggles. ESPN College Football Power Rankings.
    [​IMG]

Houston 11
    Texas 19

So there's no confusion - a higher number is NOT better in the rankings.

[​IMG]

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Dang it must have taken you years to compile these stats.