1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#1 LSU at #2 Alabama

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Bear_Bryant, Oct 30, 2011.

?

Who wins

1. LSU

46 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. Alabama

20 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

only dropped to #3 haha...Roll Tide.

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

3. Major

Major Member

They'll drop to #4 next week if Stanford beats Oregon - Stanford's computer ranking will jump, and they already have a huge lead in the polls. Alabama will need losses by both OSU and Stanford to have any shot at the title game.

4. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

LSU could lose to Arkansas.

It will be fun to see how this plays out.

5. Major

Major Member

Georgia also could be 10-2 going into the SEC championship - if they can take the SEC Title from LSU, that creates all sorts of havoc too. Lots of people argue "if you don't win your conference, you shouldn't get into the title game" after the Nebraska fiasco back in 2001 (?). It will be interesting to see what voters would do in that mess.

6. Major

Major Member

What is the tiebreaking procedure if that happens? I had assumed Alabama was out of the SEC race, but I guess that's not necessarily the case. This would re-create the Texas/OU/Tech controversy.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If they're the best two teams then they should play again. I haven't seen any teams on their level. OK State isn't going to ring up 40 points on either of those defenses but they sure as hell might give up 40 because their own defense sucks. I would give Boise State a shot because their coach has proven he can win a big game and they have a good QB.

8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

If there is a three way tie, then it goes by highest BCS ranking. But, if the top two ranked BCS teams are within five places then it goes by head to head.

So say Arkansas beats LSU convincingly and creates a three way tie. Arkansas would be ranked 2, Alabama 3, LSU 4.(Just guesses) Then Alabama would go to the SEC title game because they are within 5 places of Arkansas and won the head to head.

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Great game.

The whining about the score is silly. Each team had at least two good chances to score touchdowns...and the defenses lived up to their reputations and rankings.

I like watching a high scoring game as much as the next guy - but good defense is fun to watch too.

Agree with the folks calling out Saban - it was odd of him to keep trying those long field goals.

10. Major

Major Member

So basically, it'll all come down to how badly LSU were to lose, and maybe LSU fans flying a plane over the Alabama stadium with their head-to-head score. Good thing is that the LSU/Arkie game is the last week, so you won't have all the shenanigans like TX/OU/Tech where everyone was politicking once they seen the initial results.

11. Buck Turgidson

The coonasses are involved, expect shenanigans

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'd be shocked if OSU didn't put up a big number on LSU. For all the talk about LSU's great secondary, Alabama's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th looks were open more often than not, it's just that between their drops and the quarterback's suckiness, Alabama couldn't take advantage of it. OSU's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th looks are better than anyone else's in the country. And OSU is so much better at downfield blocking than Alabama, that Justin Blackmon will get his, too. LSU will be able to stop the OSU's run, and run on OSU, but OSU will be able to score on them. If OSU can turn them over like they have most teams, they'll have a decent shot.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I once saw a mediocre Alabama defense hold Texas Tech to 9 points in the Cotton Bowl. Never expect a Big 12 (high school) offense to work the same way against a top SEC team.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You didn't precede this with Herman Cain's "not that I have any facts to back this up".

Silly bits of repetitiously received wisdom like this are the reason why moneyball type analysis was invented and why it succeeds.

I once saw a badass Alabama defense give up big yards to Greg Davis and Garrett Gilbert for stretches. Never expect an SEC (slow-ass crap offense conference) defense to work the same way against a top spread team.

^ see how easy and stupid that was?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Please cite one example where Moneyball has succeeded.

:)

DD

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Pains me to say it, but I think a healthy OU beats either of these teams.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not with their crappy pass defense.

DD

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch. I don't see OSU going undefeated. Stanford maybe.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, we can play pee-pee games all day long can't we. No playoff system = bunch of pee-pee games. Sucks brah.

20. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

[​IMG]