1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1 in 5 Houstonians.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NewYorker, Sep 15, 2002.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How many people live in the New York area? Percentage wise. many more Houstonians attend Astros games even if you split the NY fan base in half.

Hmmmm, didn't NY lose two baseball teams (Dodgers and Giants)?

2. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Who cares about this character's opinion. I'm a Houstonian and I support all my teams. Win or lose. Rain or shine. Clutch or choke.

I live with them. I die with them. There's no other way.

Love to all the true Houstonian fans. ;)

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hey, genuis...the city was still buzzing over this regular season win when this survey was done...not exactly objective...how many people were surveyed who didn't even live in Houston in 1994 when the Rockets won the first title...it's not exactly scientific. And keep in mind, this was the first game back in a football city that hasn't had football for 6 years beating the in-state rivals!! It's not just a regular season game...oh, and by the way...a recent survey in Dallas said it was their WORST lose in franchise history...stew on that one.

Still...a good majority of the people said the Rockets' first title was the most significant sporting event...

5. haven

haven Member

Troll...

...you see the same phenomena in any poll you look at when one team has very recently accomplished something great.

The ESPN polls provide a continual source of amusement. Fans continually vote for whichever team accomplished something recently as opposed to famous "historic" teams. I remember, when the Ravens won their first super bowl, and ESPN poll declared them the greatest defensive team ever, edging out the Steel Curtain. Ricky Williams was voted the greatest college RB ever. Only to be surplanted by Ron Dayne the next year after Dayne broke the record (despite a lower YPC average, fewer receptions, and 4 seasons as the feature back whereas Williams only had 2).

Same with McGwire. An ESPN poll declared him the greatest 1b ever. Oops.

Ask the same question in a year, and fans will regain perspective.

Of course, NYC is a better sports town than Houston. But NYC is probably the 2nd best sports town in America, after Boston, so it's not really a fair comparison.

6. MadMax

It's also not a fair comparison when you consider the sports history of Houston and the sports history of New York...Houston did not have professional sports until 1960...New York became the very definition of baseball in the 1920's....my father grew up in a Houston with no pro sports...i am the first generation of my family to have a team, and all that is associated with that, to pass down to my son...and I'm doing that....but that kind of intense love/hate that comes with a pro sports team doesn't develop, as it has in NY, overnight.

7. asw

asw Member

Dude,
    You can't be serious, can you? Do you even realize how ridiculous your post seems? Like some informal poll on a website that anyone can respond to as many times as they like, and very few people did, will represent and define Houston as a city! That is one of the most ridiculous propositions ever. I read all your posts, and I really am not sure why, but anyway get off it. There are what.... 16 million or so people in your area, and that doesn't even count the potential fans of NY teams in the surrounding states that have no teams of their own. Support is automatic even if they can't win. Hey the Clippers moved to LA from San Diego, because they KNEW they could suck and still draw fans! And they have for years... there are what.... 12 million people in the LA area... HELLO! We, however, don't find it to be an obligation to spend our hard earned money on a team, JUST BECAUSE THEY PLAY IN OUR HOMETOWN!!! These are business'! They would love it if we were stupid enough to sell out their palaces, even when they suck horribly and there is no hope of really being the best! You however can continue to support any team of yours regardless of how incompetently they run their team. After all it is your obligation, you are a New Yorker. Don't bother trying to think for yourself.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

wait, wait, wait... completely unimportant and off-topic, but... if you were born in 1974... and sports came to houston in 1960 (1962 for those that might not count the AFL).... how are you the first generation to pass sports on to your son? i'm 3 years older, and my dad sure as hell passed his love of houston sports down to me.

just curious -- the math doesn't seem to fit.

9. MadMax

my dad didn't grow up with the astros...he graduated from Lamar High School in 1955...pro sports didn't exist here then, except for minor league baseball, as I understand it. it was another 5 years before real pro sports came to houston. by the time i graduated from high school, houston pro sports was in my blood. my dad took me to games, but there was no where near the passion in him that there was for me...these teams were my teams, simply because they were...i'm the first generation in my family at least to be able to pass that experience down.

10. Hey Now!

well, considering it's happened all of twice in the nfl's 83-year history, and the last time was 41 years ago... it's a little bit bigger deal than you're making it out to be. bigger than the rocket championships? of course not, but probably the biggest thing since the championships.

this again...? the oilers were very well supported during their tenure in houston considering their record over that 37-year span was 251-291-6 and included only 24 playoff games (of which they lost 13) and countless public relations disasters. hell, bud moved because he wanted a bigger stadium in order to generate more revenue. the dome was sold beyond capacity every year between 1988 and 1993.

also, the city may have lost its team, but the fans had no say in it whatsoever. there were no referendums; adams and lanier got tangled up in a pissing match and it cost the city its team; the fans were merely innocent bystanders. the nfl conjured up this notion houston wasn't supporting the team in order to appease adams. the nfl is now having to go out of its way to recitify that which it helped destroy.

houston is, and always has been, a very goof football town.

11. Hey Now!

oh, ok, if you mean you were the first generation to grow up with houston sports... ok, that makes more sense. my dad didn't grow up with it, either, but it was in his blood and it was definitely passed down to me through him.