1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1 in 5 Houstonians.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NewYorker, Sep 15, 2002.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

...think the biggest moment in Houston sports history is an 1st-year expansion team beating a team that was 5-11 last year.

I can tell you this, no one in Dallas will remember this game in five years. But everyone in Houston will if the Texans don't win a Superbowl.

But apparently, a lot of people (18%) have already forgotten what the Rockets did for this city.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

While I don't agree that that was the biggest sports moment in this city here's why it was voted as such:

1) It's still fresh in everybody's mind. (It was a week ago)
    2) It hadn't happened in 40 years.
    3) Football is a HUGE deal in this town.

I would have voted for the Rockets second championship as the biggest sports moment...but what do I know? :)

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Excuse me? I voted in that poll, and the results, as I remember them (I'll try to find it) were Rockets 1st title...59%, then Texans...18%, then the rest were Astros, UH v. UCLA, and something else. How is this forgetting what the Rockets did?

Edit:
    In an informal two-day poll conducted on the Chronicle's Internet site (www.chron.com) last week, 18 percent of almost 4,100 respondents said they believe the Texans' 19-10 win over the Dallas Cowboys in their regular-season debut last Sunday represents the pinnacle for Houston sports teams.

First place in the poll, with 56 percent, not surprisingly belongs to the 1994 Rockets, who beat the New York Knicks in seven games for the city's first NBA title. Fifteen percent cite the 1968 Astrodome basketball game in which the University of Houston beat two-time defending national champion UCLA 71-69, snapping the Bruins' 47-game win streak before more than 50,000 fans and college basketball's first big-time national television audience.

Rounding out the top five are Mike Scott's 1986 Astrodome no-hitter, which clinched the National League West title for the Astros, at 8 percent, and the Comets' fourth straight WNBA title at 2 percent

You think maybe, just maybe, 1 in 5 Houstonians are not basketball fans?

#3 Behad, Sep 15, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2002
  4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Dude, your first 3 threads have all been rather troll-like.

1. Fairweather Houston fan thread
    2. Houston hates Rockets thread
    3. Lets trade Cato for a broken down Dream thread

Whats next....gee I cant wait.

Like I said in our other thread, Texas is a FOOTBALL state. Six years of no football followed by a victory over Dallas, who:

calls itself "America's Team" (never figured this out)

has been forced down our throats for the last few years (its awesome that 4 Dallas games wont be on local TV this year)

is hated by a significant population of the local population (and sadly enough loved by a siginificant chunk as well)

THIS WIN IS GOING TO RESONATE IN THIS AREA FOR AWHILE.

Deal with it.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ban this loser Yankee.

6. NewYorker

Typical talk for a guy who thinks Transco tower is a wonder of the world.

7. NewYorker

When some asks you what was the biggest moment in your cities sports history...It's going to be the first game of a regular season game?

This is why no one respects Houston Fans...or considers it a sports town. You can make all the excuses you want, but even before the oilers embarrassing loss, Houston didn't support the Oilers at times. Sure, you can hate Bud Adams, but for a "Football" city to lose it's team does not seem to make it a very good "football" town.

And lets remember who saved Houston from being the laughing stock of the country sportswise. The Rockets.

You guys bash Hakeem, the guy who saved your city from being a joke. Between the Oilers lose and the Rockets first championship, the jokes made about Houston being champions of choke were nasty.

The biggest moment in this town's history was when it finally got that chip of it's shoulder of being a loser sports town. That's why this BBS is called Cluth remember? From Choke city to Clutch City, now back to Chip-On-Shoulder City.

Perhaps you guys don't deserve those two NBA championships...since enough of you would be happy to trade it in for the Texans beating the Cowboys...a game no one outside of Texas gave two bleeps about.

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Did you read the results? Let me repeat:

Rockets first title: 56%
    Texans win.........: 18%
    UofH over UCLA: 15%
    Mike Scott no-no: 8%
    Comets win : 2%

Explain to me again how these results are disrespecting the Rockets?

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Yeah, like Cleveland. They've lost two teams.

Now Atlanta. There's a football town.

10. Elvis Costello

Oh, God this is a lame thread. Does anyone have any troll spray?

11. Summer Song Giver

We had to know this was coming:rolleyes:

Texan Fans it's gonna be a long long year for the guys on the field and for us having to tolerate jagg-offs like our dear friend New Yorker.

As long as the team improves from here on out and gets a little better each week we should all be pleased. Consider the first game a gift for our city and for Bob Mcnair but make no mistake this season isn't about wins and losses it's about improvement from week to week.

The first game was so hyped just because we had been waiting for so long AND because we beat the Cowgirls it was a special moment for us. Don't let this guy bother any of you, this guy is probably a John Starks fan so he has his own demons to deal with. :D

The Rockets remain the only team to bring not one but two major championships to H-Town. I don't remeber any ticker tape parades or parties in the streets last week after the game. But bet your a$$ we shut down Richmond for the Rocket Championships.

Were is my can of Troll-Be-Gone?

#11 Summer Song Giver, Sep 15, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2002
  12. Refman

Beofre you go off spelling out what a horrible sports town Houston is let me remind you that just 2 years after the Mets won the World Series a crown mic picked up a fan at Shea yelling that Davey Johnson was the worst manager ever to live. Now THERE'S fan loyalty. Now get back in your glass house troll. :mad:

13. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

That's because New York is obviously not a baseball town. If a "baseball city" loses several baseball teams, it's not much of a baseball town now, is it? (using the same logic that makes Houston not a football town).

14. NewYorker

56% is an embarrassment.

15. NewYorker

I don't think a young puppy can be compared to an ancient dog...but NY is very much a baseball town. You only need to know that there are minor league games that sell out here.

Houston doesn't even sell out it's playoff games. I know, I've been to some of them.

16. Refman

you have got to be the biggest troll I have ever seen.

17. NewYorker

I'm not a mets fan, but at least they go to the games.

18. Refman

Actually the game that I was referring to was sold out ONLY if their fans had dressed up as empty seats.

EDIT: The Mets averaged 32,300 fans per game in 2001. The Astros averaged 35,800 per game in 2001. Who goes to the games again?

#18 Refman, Sep 16, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2002
  19. NewYorker

Right, so you are comparing the Astros Inaugaral Season in a NEW BALL PARK to the Mets? Let's not forget the Astros won the division that year, and the Mets were not in contention.

But let's look at 2002: So far, the wild card chasing Stros garnered 31,208 fans per game. Not bad, Ranks then 14th. A playoff contender and 2nd year ball park gets you 14th? Questionable.

As for those Mets...never really in contention...laid claim to the worst NL home losing streak in history (15, 16 games?), and who play is one of the worst stadiums in the country (now that the Astrodome is gone)...drew a measely 36,284.

Folk, you know how to make the Astros a contender? Get five thousand more people to come to each game.

20. Refman

The inaugural season would have been 2000...I provided attendance numbers for 2001.