1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[06/28/11] After practice interviews with Williams, Patterson and Thabeet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketblaze, Jun 28, 2011.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

How do we know Parsons isn't the big?

2. cod

cod Member

Boxing? T-will's shot wasn't that great to begin with. All that upper body or arm work can make it worse.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

McHale's influence already, love hearing about progress on the bigs.

Patterson (on McHale):"Everyday since he has been here, we have worked day in and day out on our inside/outside game"

Patterson (on Hill):"Jordan has impressed me the most this summer. Guy has been working on his face up game and aggresiveness around the basket."

Thabeet: "Been working everyday. Wonderful to have a coach teach me in more detail."

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hahahahaha..."he still wears those short shorts"...

But you can see exactly the difference between Patrick Patterson and Terrence Williams in these interviews. Williams kind of seems ok, but you can see some passive aggressive trait in the way he acts. Patterson is a real pro. Patterson will have a successful career. Terrence Williams - not so much.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

From the interview:
    Hill and Patterson have been working at the Rockets facilities since the end of the season.

Thabeet has been at the Rockets facilities since the end of the season with a break to visit his mom on her birthday.

T-Will has been boxing since the end of the season. ???

Things are looking up for Hill and Patterson. They might get steady minutes this season. Unfortunately, it seems T-Will has spent more time in a boxing ring than on the basketball court. He really needed the extra work in the offseason like Hill and Patterson.

Lowry mentioned as working out with the young guys also. Now, we know why Lowry made such big improvements. He is putting in the extra weeks of offseason work, while the other veteran players are on vacation.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Twill's issues are mostly mental, not so much with his actual skills. Bigs have more technical stuff to work with and probably benefit more from actual practice to simulate the on court contact they constantly take and feel. i also think the players who have been there were probably approached by the staff/coach first and advised to come in.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Excellent interviews. I think the guys like Kevin McHale. These interviews make me more interested in following the Rockets win or lose.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Three very encouraging videos. I really hope the McHale influence pays big dividends. Seems like he is out there with these kids showing them some old school tricks. McHale was a master at keeping the ball up high over his head and did so many little things well that these "details" as Thabeet mentioned could be just what these kids need.

If he can get 15-20 minutes of solid game productivity from Thabeet we are in business.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Pretty much -- Twill almost seemed insulted that Jason would suggest that he has to fight others, specifically rookies, for minutes. I see last year still hasn't shaken his sense of entitlement..

10. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

His hair is a huge contributor to his lack of coordination and response times. It really showed on the court last year that his hair was blocking parts of his peripheral vision. Causing late reactions and missed reads. The best thing he ever did was when he cut them shorter, but i also think he need to maybe cut them down to an inch or two.

But these were some great videos! It really shows that the addition of Mchale is going to pay off in a good way. How the players speak of him, you can tell he is really intimate with his players. Thats good news, cause with young players you have to be.

Another funny thing i took from Twill, Is his Cockiness. I actually like the guy as a Rocket, been knowing about his talent when he was in college. But he is gonna have to learn how to humble himself. If you notice, he never talked about trying to get better. He only talked about getting back to basketball and talking about talents he already has. JF even had to bring up the topic of improving.

You can also tell that he reads Clutchfans,

11. Convictedstupid

Great videos. I know these are Rockets.com videos, but I wonder if there is anyway Clutch can get some video practice of the rookies... or of anyone like he did last year of Yao.

This no Summer League thing is going to be brutal. I really want to see D-Mo and Morris.

12. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

beautiful

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

fixed!

14. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

If his agenda was to disparage him....wouldn't he call him a 'big' as well? In other words, to allude he can't play a real 3. Shooters are regularly at the 3....so if anything he just acknowledged him as competition.

I mean I realize you irrationally hate T-Will as much as the next guy on here....but let's not reach THAT far.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Poor Thabeet. Perfect NBA Center's body but he got stuck with the brains of a honing pigeon. All he wants to do is go home.

16. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Totally agree. I mean if you aren't a good interview as a professional athlete....NO SHOT at being a real player, huh?

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

:confused:

18. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I love the emphasis McHale is putting on post plays as opposed to Aldeman's 20-40 foot jays.

Patterson is a really nice guy. He knows Hill needs to hear some decent words after all the crap he has been hearing.

Thabeet's interviewing skills are better than his basketball skills. I like T-Will commitment to passing rather than scoring. I hope he works on his outside shooting more this off-season.

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

real difference

Terrence a douche, Pat a real pro

no wonder no one wants that kid

I appreciate Terrence working hard, but man, his attitude just kills everything

he couldn't wait for the interview to be over...

loved the questions Jason asked...

20. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

While I do agree that bigs have the greatest skill difference between good and bad players, TWill has an obvious, glaring weakness in his game: shooting. Dude should be shooting thousands of jumpers a day.