1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“What would you like to see improved outside of team performance”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by van chief, Jun 23, 2011.

1. van chief

van chief Member

I just took a survey for the Rockets online, one of the questions was something to the point of:

“What would you like to see improved outside of team performance”

I understand that cutting down on the quality of halftime shows can save the Rockets money when playing teams where the attendance may not be there, but can’t the quality be improved somewhat?

I went to many games last year, buying mini plans and single game tickets; the majority of the half time shows were bad, some were down right creepy.
    The creepiest shows are those that include the elementary school kids in cheerleader outfits; the middle school kids being the next creepiest. I guess throwing them out there with the power dancers makes it less creepy but still “8 year olds Dude”.

Instead of this couldn’t we trot out more high school marching bands with / or the power dancers? Maybe more of the silly dance offs with the planted participant that goes too far, or Clutch just smashing spurs and mav’s fans with cakes, pies or hammers? A random fan 3 point shooting contest could be incredibly entertaining, or maybe Daryl Morey could give a lecture on his GM philosophy, and money ball?

Am I off base?
    What other things would you like to see changed?

(I didnt put this in the GARM, its the offseason and this isnt a trade thread)

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I would get rid of the music and sound effects while the game is being played. I hate, hate, hate, hate that. I want to hear the squeak of shoes on the floor when the balls being brought up. I don't want to hear an electronicified version of Queen.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more about the severe nose dive the halftime shows have taken. They used to regularly book entertaining acts, at least for premium games. Whether it was the "Quick Change" couple, the guy who plays piano with bouncy balls, the trampoline guy, or the "bowl lady", you could always count on seeing something interesting.

Now it's random in-house or otherwise free entertainment, which isn't actually entertaining to anyone except friends and family of the participants.

As for your ideas, I would love to see more random fan competitions. Why not put someone out there to see if they can hit a half court shot before Clutch (the bear) can? Prizes could be merchandise or memorabilia rather than cash, to keep costs down. It really doesn't seem that hard to come up with stuff like this...

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I said this in the Rocket Memory thread, but they need to bring back the half-court shot to win a car. Back in the day, they would randomly pick a seat and have that fan try 3 shots - 1 from the free throw line (for a gift card), 1 from the top of the key (for a cash prize), then 1 from half-court (for a car).

You miss the free throws, you get boo'ed off the court. If you make the half-court shot, the whole place ERUPTS. It always happened once or twice a year and the whole place would buzz for the rest of the game. Fun stuff.

And yeah, I HATE the horrible music during the game. It's insulting. Do they think we're so ADD that we can't watch a game without music playing? HORRIBLE. Please stop. Now.

Is there anyone who actually LIKES hearing music during game-play?

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Let the real fans be fans in the lower bowl.

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

They should expand the Lexus lounge to make it easier for business people to hang out and network while not watching the game. It'd be like the sound proof baby room at church. Clear out some of the upper bowl for the space. Sorry poor people, we need more fans right up on the action. Sacrifices have to be made.

7. van chief

van chief Member

Finally some rational thoughts.

You guys have mentioned the removal of in game music, which I am for, but would the toyota center then only be filled with the noise of the rowdies?

I would support the playing of complete songs that may inspire sing alongs...
    I imagine liscencing would prohibit this but with the expanded lexus lounge maybe the rockets afford it

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I echoed those thoughts and slammed the disinterested club section buzzkills twice.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I dont mind a few sound effects in the appropriate situations, but i can't stand hearing the Defense chant played everytime a home team is playing defense.

It was just embarrassing during some of the Miami series where you could barely hear the announcers because the PA was so loud and there was no crowd noise.

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Texans are being blown out by 28 late in the second half, "that's good for a Houston Texans..."

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind an old school organ playing the "de-fense" chant like they do at Madison Square Garden.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

1) This
    2) Remove Lexus Lounge and put bar somewhere else....
    3) And more giveaways before the game/during the timeouts/halftime/at end of game.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Don't all teams do the music while the game is going on for the most part?

I think they probably do it in part because TC would be like a morgue for a lot of regular season games if there was no music during play.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Haha! Got this in my electronic mail yesterday as well.

First, please replace the PA announcer with somebody different, somebody more honest with their voice. I hate the 'Stros and Rockets PA low pitch, rumbling growl like announcers. It sounds very gimmicky and childish, like truck commercials.

Secondly, yes the music and sound effects need to go. I like bands like MGMT at basketball games, Memphis plays their music but the Rockets never did play it when I went to games this past season. I don't want music or sound effects being played while I stand and cheer.

Lastly, start the games on time. No more of this "flex schedule bull", but that has more to do when I watch the game at home.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Maybe stick with things you know they might change? They aren't going to remove the rich folks from their seats... well, no more than they already have with the rowdies.
    They aren't going to remove the music... though they could be more sparing and/or timely with it. They could change the announcer, but I doubt they would get rid of the low voice growl monster truck voice type. If anything it would probably get worse.

What about improving the live game experience with an interactive application for phones that provides stats and highlights, and details of the game that are sometimes hard to get in the arena. It could have the radio feed, polls, sign up for contests like ima's half court shot, lots of things to make the game experience more interactive and engulfing. It could announce upcoming matchups, and have interviews etc. Would be a good way to pass time and not miss much if you're stuck in the beer line, too.

I dunno, just a thought.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

They should pay those homeless guys downtown with a saxophone about $20 and have them do the halftime show. That would be more entertaining than elementary school dance teams.

1 person likes this.
  17. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Stronger mixed drinks. I hate paying $9.00 for one ounce of liquor that you can barely taste. That's why sometimes, i sneak a flask in and buy one big soda. :grin:

18. droxford

droxford Member

• Eliminate the constant flashing that occurs during the game - I find it VERY annoying (I'm not talking about audience cameras)
    • eliminate sound effects. reduce and simplify music (like how some stadiums only use an organ)
    • keep a consistent music/theme over a few years instead of changing them every year.
    • more handouts (throw more T-shirts, more bobblehead nights, etc.)
    • more random fan competitions
    • more replays of game action on the screen
    • when game action is delayed, more "audience is on the big screen" stuff (like kiss cam)
    • More prank and goofy stuff by mascot when game is not in play.
    • How about putting life-size statues of each player scattered around the stadium?

19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The constant noise from music /sound effects is extremely annoying. I think it prevents cheering. You can't hear yourself or other fans cheer when they actually do it.

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I could care less about the music and halftime shows. I want MORE SMOKING AREAS! That one little porch gets packed like a damn sardine can at halftime.