1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“James Harden is my big brother, we talk a lot”: Kevin Porter Jr

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kingkingston, Mar 13, 2021.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Kevin Porter Jr revealed how James Harden treats him like a younger brother. The youngster also claims to be able to dunk on the Nets star.

Porter Jr is in his 2nd year in the league. Earlier this past year, Porter Jr had a misunderstanding with the Cavaliers organization which resulted in him being tossed away to the Houston Rockets.

Houston sent the 6-foot-4 guard to play in the G League for their Rio Grande Valley Vipers. After having a stunning performance in the G-League, Houston called Porter back up in the NBA. He played his debut match for the Rockets on Thursday night against the Sacramento Kings.

In his first game back in the NBA, Kevin Porter Jr had an impressive 13-point, 10-assist performance in a losing effort. The 20-year-old then spoke about James Harden and the brotherhood the two left-handed guards shared. He also mentioned how Harden has been like a mentor, helping him with his development. Porter stated:

“That’s my big brother. I definitely watch him a lot. We talk a lot. He gives me some keys, so I can have an advantage. I feel like we do play similar. I think it’s because we’re both lefties and we both like that stepback. I’m way more athletic, though, for sure. I’ll dunk on James.”

In his 15 games in the G League bubble, Porter Jr showed tons of potential. He averaged a staggering 24.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 7.3 assists per game.

Houston Rockets head coach, Stephen Silas had high praises for the young guard. Post the Kings-Rockets match, Silas mentioned how great of a kid Kevin was. He also mentioned that Kevin Porter Jr would excel over time. Stephen said:

“KP was good. He played point; he pushed the ball up the floor in our scrimmage, he makes plays for others. He’s a willing learner. Great kid. Just enjoyable to be around.”

“To have that fresh face in the group is exciting for me. It’s a developmental thing. The game isn’t going to be as easy as it came for him in the G League. But I think he is prepared, over time, to excel. He has a lot of tools that we will explore and use. He’s going to be good for us.”

With veterans on the team like John Wall and Victor Oladipo, Porter Jr is bound to be better than he already is. His scoring, passing and rebounding abilities are all pretty good. Houston are now on a 15-game losing streak, it’s about time Porter Jr helps the Rockets in turning things around in their favour.
    https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-...p-on-his-relationship-with-the-nets-megastar/

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas also wanted Porter to come off the bench.

I'm not sure how good Silas' talent evaluation ability is going to be for us.

Wall, Dipo being injured forced Silas to start Porter. Not his great eye for talent or his developmental ability.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

bitter exes won’t like that quote from KPJr

everyday eddie, ksny15, HP3 and 8 others like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It was his first game with the team. He wanted to ease him into the flow.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porter is the better PG over Wall, right now.

Coach needs to play his best players.

Deferring to vets during a rebuild is a failure on so many levels.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden will make an excellent mentor. Porter learning the details of the game along with his athleticism will make him deadly. He's gotta improve his shot too. At current status, he can even shoot FTs. One good thing though is he hasn't appeared out of control which shows in his AST/TO ratio.

everyday eddie and D-rock like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

there is nothing wrong with this IMO. KPJ does not need to be thrust into franchise player status right after what he went through in Cleveland and his off court history.

Silas was smart to leave him in the g league (to hone his PG skills) and he is smart to ease him into his position on the team and new PG position.

jiggyfly, eliefor3, csc177 and 3 others like this.
  8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

you judging this off 2 games

arabrocket likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

KPJ has a better right hand than Harden too. Harden's left hand is just imbued with infinity stones.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

No.

15+ games.

If you've seen a great X's and O's coach, great with adjustments or has a keen sense of rotations then you havent been following the Rockets at all this season.

HP3 likes this.
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think that's what happened to Walls leg. It didn't want to come off the bench.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's about to get real awkward with Wall.

Wall has his minions out here talking about how much he's suffering while going to the line 5 times a game. James Harden this season went to the line 7.5 times for the Rockets. Trae Young is half Wall's size and goes to the line 10 times a game. I'm not impressed that a 30 year old 6'3 quick guard who is not a good shooter gets to the line 5 times a game.

Wall can get to the line 7-8 times if he wants, and that would dramatically transform his impact on winning and his offensive efficiency. Will open up passes to the corner more often too. But he won't.

KPJ is going to eclipse Wall very quickly if he stays on this path to finish the season. Silas tells the PG how he wants to play, then lets them do it. Wall has failed at pushing the tempo often enough, and in his career in general has been bad at managing tempo. Looks like KPJ will be willing and capable of doing that.

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

You can't judge silas until he has a full healthy rotation, hard to get a consistent rotation going when the starting 5 is always changing

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

This is apart of Silas job to make situations like this work. Might as well slide Wall to the 2guard position because that’s basically how he has played for us. Let KPJ. Be the go and walk the agreesive 2 guard and Dipo at the 3 we already play small so it wouldn’t matter that that Dipo plays the 3. It might help since he’s a better 3 or shooter than Tate:

D-rock likes this.
  15. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I get that but CF has not been consistent about this at all.

2020 - Russ, Clint, EGo and others missed a large portion of the season - CF gives no pass to Harden-MDA-Morey

2019 - CP3 out most of season/not 100% even when he played, House holdout, EGo also in and out, role players consisted of Gary Clark, Brandon Knight, James Ennis, Marquese Chriss even Melo - CF vilified Harden/MDA/Morey.

So when CF preaches patience for Silas and Stone, the hypocrisy makes me apoplectic.

Rocket River likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Harden is recruiting him to force a move to the Nets.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Did we give D'Antoni the same support when when team was held together by paperclips, Harden, PJ and bubble gum?

Rocket River likes this.
  19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Out with the old and in with the new

coachbadlee and D-rock like this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

not fooled. if i had a dime for anytime someone says "..but I love him like a brother"

Houstunna likes this.