1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“50-50” chance Rubio will play in NBA next season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by worzel gummidge, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Gerbdog

Gerbdog Member

Sorry. Endorsement thoughts were already discussed. I guess I should of read on.

What if the new owner of the Shanghai Sharks, Yao Ming, purchases the contract of Rubio's from his European team and then waives the buyout clause and sends him to the Rockets.

2. Raven

Raven Member

Is this kid a franchise level player, potential top ten, that is the ultimate question?

My guess is that he's not.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

what about if he is? ;)

4. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

This is perhaps the grossest misinterpretation of European, CBA, and NBA rules I've seen in one post. Congrats!

5. worzel gummidge

I'd guess the endorsement deals the T-Wolves had lined up weren't enough.

With Yao out for the season. Do the Rockets still have enough pull with Chinese companies?

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12993058
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/51441757.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqPk4DyCc75DiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4241929
    At current rates, that's $8.2 million.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

A total of $4.3 million from all the Minnesota companies? That's pathetic.

Chuck Hayes got $5 mil from Li Ning for his shoe deal. I am sure that Rubio can get more chinese endorsements than Chuck Hayes, even with Yao out.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

"Hi, I'm Ricky Rubio, star guard for your Minnesota Timberwolves, and I only take my broken tractors to Don's Tractor Shop, the best tractor repair shop in the Twin Cities for over 35 years. Let Don and the boys give your broken tractor an assist."

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Funny.. :D

9. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

100% agree. I'm not very high on Rubio at all. He hasn't done much against quality opponents and I don't see his great strengths besides court vision and IQ.

10. worzel gummidge

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Hmmm, Maybe this is good, we wont have to give up as much to get his rights from the wolves :D , or this just might be a last second shot to try an get some sort of Trade to happen from Rubio's point of view to avoid Minn...... i think if he were to come to Houston we could find enough Chinese sponsors to buy out that contract....

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If Rockets didnt have the Yao and China connection, it'd be relying on in-state business endorsements the same. If I had to guess, with no China Chuck Hayes maaaybe gets to $90,000 in local endorsements. You'd figure even without China, Texas could offer more endorsements than Minnesota.

I think if Rubio actually signed he'd possibly get more than the $4.3 mil, figuring there's a couple other undecided businesses out there. Or 4.3 more than Johnny Flynn.

Minnesota's still in a decent position to just keep him until the 2012 season or acquire assets for him. But will the Wolves get #5 pick value for him now? What team is gonna trade the Wolves either an NBA All Star, a young cheap up-and-coming player, or their own top 5 pick for the rights to Rubio and negotiating his buyout?

13. blink

blink Contributing Member

ive never seen so much hype for a scrub. rubio wont be anything but a very mediocre starting point at the very best. career backup is most likely for that walking stick.

14. RowdyMaya

RowdyMaya Member

what's up with your quotation at the end of your post? Is it meant to be offensive to certain ethnic groups?

15. worzel gummidge

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/08/09/fiscal_worlds_collide/?page=1

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Man, I keep on getting a feeling that Daryl Morey might have something in the works to land Rubio, he did try to trade Brooks & Battier for the him already.....hmm :D
    plus we have enough Chinese sponsors to help him buyout his contract.... :D

18. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Which ethnic group are you worried about?

19. worzel gummidge

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You never know. Maybe Morey is still after Rubio. I don't know if it would be possible to acquire him, though, with, say, Battier and Brooks for the rights to Rubio and one of their less-than-desirable contracts.

One thing is for sure, though, Houston's business community would put together a far better list of endorsements for Rubio than did Minnesota's. Nothing against the Twin Cities at all (except their winters; almost as bad as our summers), but our larger population in general, and Spanish-speaking population particularly (even if we're talking the differences between the Old World and New World Spanish) would certainly line up the endorsements to pay off that buyout.

Kahn has Flynn who looks like a good draft pick and doesn't really NEED Rubio, and waiting on Rubio for 2 or 3 years doesn't seem a genius maneuver when your team sucks hard and shows little signs of improvement.

But I don't know how Kahn would save face on trading Rubio or talk his way out of "sure we can play both of them, together".