1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TX Governor jokes about shooting reporters after signing gun bill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, May 26, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The Governor's joke will be less funny the next time a reporter is shot... the right wing war on the media is truly disturbing.

[​IMG]
    https://www.texastribune.org/2017/0...ott-signs-measure-reduce-handgun-license-fee/

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

**** you, Abbott.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Montana elects a guy who beat down a reporter. Is this as low as it gets?

Abbot: hold my beer

JeffB, REEKO_HTOWN and Rashmon like this.
  4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Serious question. Is Abbott being accused of threatening to shoot reporters with a paper target?

cml750 and Cohete Rojo like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like someone is triggered and they need to head back to the safe space because a joke was told and they are too mentally fragile to handle it.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You never tire of playing the fool, do you. What is truly disturbing is that juveniles with internet access and a keyboard, juveniles like you, would find it stimulating to absorb fake news like a sponge and then spit it out as if it is the truth. The truth is that you wouldn't recognize the truth if it walked up and bit you on the arse. With all due respect.

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I'm pretty sure it means he can do to the reporters what he did to that paper target.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Another moron for Texas Governor.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Sounds like you can't read. The OP is not concerned about the joke, he is concerned about the right's hostility towards reporters which is encapsulated in this offhand comment from our idiot governor.

Also there's nothing wrong with calling out a stupid joke when it is made.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's triggered by a joke and trying to use that to further a political narrative. If a Democrat said the exact same thing he'd ignore it...so I'm calling him out for being a partisan hack on this occasion.

Faux outrage like this does nothing but kill any credibility a person might have. Save that BS for something real.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually don't have any problem with this. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

cml750 likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hot wheels should be wary of making threats. It's not like he can duck for cover.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's a joke....

Until someone takes it seriously.

I doubt anyone from Texas will start opening fire on reporters for the honor of Governor Abbott but they might for Trump.

It's a joke now but GOP politicians are playing with fire right now with a Trump base that has SOME that take ideology beyond the norms of morality in the 21st century.

If I was Abbotts attorney Id tell him to lay off the firearm violence jokes for awhile. If something happened in the next week or two he could be in a tough spot for insitining violence so why even go there? Idiot Texas Law Maker.... feel like I've heard that one before. Greatest state in the US with so many morons and government leadership that doesn't and has never accurately represented the diverse population of this state.

3Rings and JeffB like this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Has there ever been a historical political figure who hated the press (as in didn't respect the institution and importance of the fourth estate) and didn't turn out to be a total sleaze or powermad d*ckbag?

calurker and JeffB like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Pretty sure Abbott and Co would get on you for......making a senseless joke.

17. cml750

cml750 Member

So Abbott carrying around a paper target and showing it to reporters is a threat? o_O

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Feigning ignorance only reflects poorly on yourself.

If a reporter from the Houston Chronicle pulled out a paper target with bullet holes in an image of a person in a wheelchair, and "joked" "I'm gonna carry this around in case I see any governors", would people on the right consider it simply a funny joke? Or would it be more likely that law enforcement pay a visit to that newspaper (as would be appropriate IMO).

Not surprising that the most extreme right wing posters are jumping to defend what was clearly inappropriate (at the least), offensive and even dangerous given the hostilities the right has towards the press...

Deckard likes this.
  19. cml750

cml750 Member

Sorry to offend you snowflake.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Kinda like his joke about shooting reporters? We'll see if the Gov'na gets triggered.