1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Expanse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 16, 2015.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Bezos throws some money at this project and they roll with all internet momentum this could end up being a really big hit for Amazon.

No Worries likes this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What's particularly tantalizing is the show is on an uptick right now. Assuming the momentum continues, there will be a lot to look forward to in coming seasons because Amazon will likely increase the budget and take it to another level.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Isn't The expanse already very expensive? Amazon is going to pour even more money into it? Last I heard they were using Game of Thrones money to produce it.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's cheaper to continue a series like this than start from the beginning.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Agreed. The show is pretty well polished by now and only gaining momentum. I don't think Amazon needs to interfere with its current trajectory. The Internet campaign and bringing it to Amazon has increased its popularity.

The Expanse's target demographic is primarily the 18-49 group that is largely cord cutting. Most cord cutters are likely using Amazon services. I think it'll do well on Amazon.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Amazon could use a win

Rocket River

7. KingCheetah

Amazon wants a big budget Game of Thrones type anchor show for their streaming service.

No Worries and Rocket River like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I'm getting Amazon Prime.

I'm very excited about The Expanse being saved and think going to a subscription service is the right move. At the moment I don't think Amazon needs to do anything different as I'm not sure a bigger budget will make much of a difference.

9. KingCheetah

How can you not have Prime? It's one of the few remaining great deals out there from a big company -- about 8 bucks a month and it pays for itself many times over.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

really wish amazon worked with chromecast

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The only problem I have with Expanse is that their seasons are too short. If the show followed the books more closely, the number of shows per season could easily double. It would not surprise me if Amazon made longer seasons, especially if they want to make Expanse a showcase series like GoT.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is the main reason I absolutely refuse to get Amazon Prime. I despise Amazon for the deadlock.

What may push me over is I can get Prime for 1/2 price because my son is a student.

seclusion likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I've been pretty underwhelmed by The Expanse for almost it's entire run, but these last few episodes, after the time jump that came out of nowhere, have been really good.

We got more character development for the Mao family in the last episode than the we got in 2 seasons. I really feel they should have fleshed out Julie Mao's character in the first couple season so we actually cared about what happened to her. The show tells me she is supposed to be important, but it never felt that way. That scene with Miller and Julie dying together was unearned.

The way they introduced Julie Mao's sister is much more effective.

I'm still trying to figure out the point of the first 2.5 seasons of the show, especially after this time jump.

Rocket River likes this.
  14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eh. Nevermind

#154 Ottomaton, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Just started this show. Worked my way through the first season for the last week. Visually, it looks great. Otherwise, its terrible. Bad acting, terrible writing (especially the dialogue), and boring. I won't be continuing.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You're not alone in that take.

We tried it, and we both like sci-fi. I liked the world-building, if you will, and I loved some of the realistic aspects of the plot, the battles, etc. But I couldn't get into any of the characters or individual plot lines. Felt myself slapping my forehead a lot when people talked.

But we are just really spoiled in the modern TV era. It's not fair that we can watch shows like The Wire and even GOT and then expect that kind of snapping dialogue from other efforts.

KingCheetah and rhino17 like this.
  17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Agree with all this

But I actually like what Star Trek is doing right now if you haven't checked that out yet

B-Bob likes this.
  18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The first season wasn't that great. They paced the seasons oddly with the books from what I heard (never read the books but the arcs are fairly obvious). Season 1 plus the first half of season 2 complete the first book. The second half of season 2 and first half of season 3 complete the 2nd season. The last half of season 3 is the third book.

It got really good starting season 2 as the first book is finishing up. The second book arc kept good pace, too. I think it's worth it to at least get through the first half of season 2 and see how you feel after that.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

It's good to hear this because I thought I was missing something - I'll try another season but it better grab my attention quick.

I'm a big fan of the books but the series has been a big letdown.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Even though I was underwhelmed by The Expanse, this video made me appreciate the story A LOT more. I wished they explained this stuff in the show. It would have been a lot more intriguing to non book readers. The show left out a lot of the interesting stuff.

More supplemental viewing fills in a bunch of the holes I didn't understand when watching the show.