1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Show] What are you watching?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jsingles, Jul 23, 2016.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not Batman but as somebody who read the comic, I enjoyed it, but I think I would probably enjoy it more if I did not read the comic.

The Comic is more outlandish and darker and the motivations make more sense, but I like what they have done because the comic was more x rated than R.

Interested to see where they go with this but the fact that "The Boys" are pretty much on their own is straining credibility IMO.

With that said the actors are great which makes me enjoy this. :

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  2. TheresTheDagger

Tried watching it. Gave up on the 2nd in your face sex scene.

Look, I get it. Sex sells and normally it doesn't bother me but in this case, it was just over the top so I turned it off. I guess I'm getting too old.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm trying to watch Black Sails but it's rough with some of the language and the skazzy sex. It's very odd but the story is taking hold now and I'm becoming invested a little bit.

4. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Been binging The Shield on Hulu. Show is so good.

cardpire and jiggyfly like this.
  5. conquistador#11

Das Boot (Das zeriez!) on Hulu : I'm in episode 6. It only lasts 8.
    Taking place nine months after the events of the original film, the show does a good job weaving in different story lines, like the French Resistance. It's content from the author's second book. I was not aware there was a follow up to the book Das Boot or that Das Boot was even a book to begin with. I love saying DAS BOOT!

The espionage in civilian life is what gives this series a completely different feel than the film.
    I'm liking it. The reviews say it's too hollywoodish and that there is an extra effort to make them more human which is comparable to the reviews many of these shows from the German's point of view receive.
    But I didn't think that was the case here. Sure, there are scenes where Nazis are doing the holy cross sign and saying a Catholic prayer but it's totally believable with what we now know about pope Pius. There are some cringe brutal dark scenes that remind us that they are the baddies.

My only beef is the casting for the main French Resistance fighter, Lizzie Caplan. She is simply Janis Ian with a gun. The German Female lead, I was feeling her at the beginning but she won me over.

I thought "1917" would be my last entry from the beautiful world wars genres but it appears it will continue. Watching Anthropoid tonight from DD's unknown war movies thread.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Attempting to check the ALIENIST: Season Two
    The first season did not grab me.. . but if this one proves interesting I may go back

This feels like Perry Mason and the recent Penny Dreadful
    These Period Pieces are intriguing but I dunno if I can stick with them

I BINGED: How To Get away With Murder
    It was much better than I thought. The last Two season seems repetitive
    The smart people doing dumb things
    We also get alof ot people doing things they were told not to
    Alot of it secrets that made no sense etc etc etc
    and lots and lots of Man on Man action that was hard to make it through
    It was very front and center
    Thought there were a bunch of bisexual and lesbian women . . . not so much woman on woman
    it seemed . . .. .or "Da Regular!" LOL
    I guess it IS Network TV

Rocket River

7. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, the book was really good so I was excited for the series...and was pretty disappointed. Recording season 2 starting tonight, will give it a shot one of these days.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

The Stargirl pilot was pretty good, but it moves and revealed a lot a little too fast. They should have let some things simmer. But good enough for episode 2 tomorrow.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The sex is not why I like it. I’ve always enjoyed noir films, mysteries, and depictions of the police corruption that was such a part of real life in the ‘30’s, ‘40’s, ‘50’s and even into the ‘60’s, including in Houston. A really good example? LA Confidential, 1997 (based on the novels of James Ellroy). If you haven’t seen it, check it out. This version of Perry Mason, as a PI before he became an attorney, is an HBO series that’s very similar, circa early 1930’s. It also reminds me a bit of the novels and short stories of Dashiell Hammett, several of which were turned into films. He’s a good read. I guess now it would be considered historical fiction.

And don’t talk to me about “getting too old!” ;-)

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Is that Starman's (from the film) daughter?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Looking for something

Tried the Ju'on - it was slow. Might check back into it

need something for me and the wife to watch

Rocket River

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I really liked The Alienist and will be tuning in to season 2.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Interesting why did you not like it?

Was it because of the book?

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We are really liking Perry Mason. The character development and acting are spot on.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't know it was based on a comic but that makes sense. Amazon is a pay service but I don't see them venturing into p*rn. I was surprised by how raunchy the show was but I think it's about the right amount.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Didn't know there was a Das Boot Series. I'm not on Hulu but if I can find through other on demand means will check it out.

One of the criticisms of the original was that the Nazi's were humanized and they are the protagonist. I think the point of the movie wasn't to sympathize with Nazi movement or ideology but to show both how soldiers will fight for each other rather than a some political cause and the ultimately absurdity of war.

Buck Turgidson and jiggyfly like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Speaking of Nazi's just started The Man in the High Castle. So far looks pretty good with a lot of nuance in the plot and acting.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah the comic is xxx but it is also deeper, the characters have more meaningful motivations than revenge.

Also why are Frenchie and Mothers Milk still helping, makes no sense.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

When I hear "Starman" this is the first things that comes to mind.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I really like this as concept, love alternative history but reviews seem to be mixed.

I think I will give it a try.