1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Picked Up Will Fuller's Fifth Year Option In April

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Dec 23, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why? Its bad enough they depend on him in terms of injury history. He is going from $1.4MM salary to $10MM

I understand O'Brien's hope we all see the difference he makes, but given his history before this season i would have waited to see. If he stayed healthy you'd have to pony up but for a good reason but if it would have been more of the same no team would offer him a lot.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is extremely stoopid if true. The ghost of Ricky Smith still haunts us.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

5th year option is a no-brainer. You don’t have a replacement for his speed, so you get another year without extending him. Drafting a developmental WR or signing one can be done while Fuller is still here.

Fuller can find something to keep those legs healthy? Maybe. I’m sure some of this is because he was coming off the ACL and are compensation injuries.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Paying a guy $10MM who has played 13-10-7 games in his 3 years to play is a no brainer?

Do you know how much money wrs make? What has Will Fuller done to earn that much money?

I like O'Brien too bro but be informed about what you're saying

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/texans-exercise-will-fullers-5th-year-option-11283868
    The 5th year option is no guarantee that Fuller will be here for a fifth year
    The fifth year option is guaranteed for injury only, which I suppose is significant, given the litany of injuries Fuller has suffered. However, Kevin Johnson was last year's Texan to play a season prior to his fifth year option season, and the Texans cut ties with him before it became fully guaranteed, injury or no injury, in March. So if for some reason, Fuller isn't what the Texans are expecting in 2019, and it seems injury is the only thing that would cause that, the Texans can cut ties with him, like they did with Johnson.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-a-fifth-year-option-guide-for-every-teams-first-round-pick-from-2016/
    The Texans picking up Fuller's option doesn't ensure his return in 2020. He could suffer the same fate as cornerback Kevin Johnson in being let go before the fifth year is fully guaranteed without a bounce back from his knee injury.

donkeypunch and pgabriel like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thanks.

Fuller in all his injuries has definitely evolved. Again no one doubts his value to the offense. Before i posted this i was thinking Fuller couldn't just be the fastest guy he must be one of the fastest ever. But it isnt a top ten combine time since 2013. The funny thing is i totally forgot about Texan Jerome Mathis who had the 4th fastest time since 2013

So Fuller definitely brings a lot besides speed and we all understand just by results in wins O'Brien leans on this guy. They are a totally different offense with him. Fuller's injuries have varied but it seems by now the hamstring is a chronic concern.

#7 pgabriel, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  8. Fantasma Negro

William O'Brien needs to go get A.B.

9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’d like OBJ but that’s a dream

Fantasma Negro and coachbadlee like this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The upcoming draft might be one of the best in years at the WR position.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ive never seen a battle between a tea kettle and an insane asylum patient before. I dont think theres enough popcorn on the planet for that.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

One year for $10m for this talent is a no brainer. His injuries have been mainly hamstring and can be properly treated with rest.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He is out another 3 weeks possibly. If jt was that simple they would have managed it. Apparently its not that simple. Time to move on.

Edit: its a big picture issue just like Clowney. So much more can be done with $10MM. Hopkins makes 16MM. Wrs are on the low end of the contract scale for legitimate value reasons and you're already invested in Hopkins. This is four seaaons of nagging injuries. At leaat Clowney had one type injuries..

The issue is the offense falls apart every time. I understand he may not be replaceable but you have Stills and get another dependable receiver

#13 pgabriel, Dec 23, 2019
  14. Mr. Clutch

Or maybe they aren't managing it right

$10m for 1 year isn't much risk. If he's not healthy next year then we can talk about not giving him a multi year extension

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know stupid franchise. Its probably BOB managing it personally. We get it

Just like Clowney, 1 year matters. A delay of the inevitable

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Out of 64 possible games, hes played in 41, which comes to being available to play 64% of the time.

That doesn't include all the games where he pulled a hammy and was on the bench by then end of the 1st quarter.

One year is not a big deal. But unless he never misses another game in a Texans uni, I'd cut him loose after that.

This looks like a classic "sunk cost fallacy" and "if only..." situation and I'm guessing they commit to a huge long term contract, through which he continues to play about half the time. At some point, "just bad luck" needs to turn into "extremely injury prone" and "unreliable".

You cant win if your best players arent available half the time, no matter how good they are when they are available.

#16 Ottomaton, Dec 23, 2019
    Nook and Pringles like this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

BOB has been known to throw guys in the doghouse for being injured, and the medical staff has a poor track record with other players, going back before BOB.

But think like Morey or Lunhow. What's the risk/reward here? Much more upside than downside.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What players have BOB ruined bringing back too soon.

You're a smart guy. Nobody is arguing the problem isnt Fuller. Your BoB hate is exceptional. Be proud

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We have yet to find a wr replacement for BoB complex offensive scheme that has yet to produce a top 10 offense season.

Might as well keep him on for another season, i guess.

20. Mr. Clutch

He criticized clowney his rookie year, turned out he needed microfracture. He threw Kahale Warring in the doghouse this year because he had injuries. Then it was Coutee because the idiot had him returning punts in the preseason. Jordan Thomas too.

The guy thinks injuries are a personal failing. He's like from the 1950's complete with the 1950's offense.

Nook likes this.