1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taking advantage of Yao's mid-range threat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrButtocks, Dec 12, 2005.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I this has probably been talked about to death, but I'm not talking about Yao taking a bunch of mid-range shots all day like Juwan. I just noticed during the Kings game Yao had two alley oops passes to Tmac from the high post. Even though Yao rarely takes a jumper nowadays Brad Miller had to step out. I wouldn't mind establishing Yao there at least a few times game. With so much focus on denying Yao position the backdoor is wide open. I'm sure we could take advantage of Yao's long-forgotten passing ability. I just find that Yao rarely passes to a cutter and it's an opportunity we shouldn't ignore.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

Don't overrate Yao again.

Yao is NOT a mid-range threat and he does not have that fancy passing ability. wake up.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I hope you're joking. But if not, all I can say is WOW! :(

Yao has a nice mid-range jumper and I would like to see JVG use it a little more, but I think the main thing is that they really want to keep Yao downlow. Yao could get a little too comfortable staying out of the paint and not having the bang downlow.

4. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

How about we letting Wesley go downlow to post up and letting Yao taking ranged shots?
    A man should be doing what he does best, period!

5. daRox

daRox Member

you're kidding, right?

He was a mid range threat before JVG forced him to play at the low post.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You know, Brad Miller plays out high, but he still bangs with anybody on the boards. Don't tell me just because a center plays high post that he can't go down low and bang. Yao has proven he isn't shy about contact.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yao is the #2 best passer that recognizes situation.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Does Duncan operate solely at the low post? Does he rely exclusively on his bank-shot jumper while Parker posts up? No, he's mixes it up with a mid-range sometimes while still being primarily a post presence. Don't be a tool, letting Yao get the ball at the high post a "few" times a game does not mean every posession. Versatility is an asset, not a liability.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

how many times do i have to say this! PUT YAO AS POINT GUARD! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

he was,

but now, I can not see it. B. Miller and Camby jumper are way better than YAO

11. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Yao is one of the best lob passers on the team. He doesn't hesitate, he just lets it fly. He's thrown several beautiful passes to Tmac over the top of the defense. He's much better at passing them than catching them.

12. rvpals

rvpals Member

I love to have Yao doing those alley hoop to TMac. They're right on target.

Somehow it just seemed so waste of talent with Yao mostly down in the low post, we should mix it up and have Yao draw some defenders outside and have a better lane for TMac or others to drive from time to time.

13. RareAir

RareAir Member

He would lead the league in assists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. RareAir

RareAir Member

Ever watch Yao warm up before a game????? He consistantly knocks down that mid-range jumper a lot better than most big men. I think getting him the ball after a pick and roll, he would knock down a couple of shots......It might help him wen he goes down low.

15. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

And whose fault is it?

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Steve Francis

17. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

How so? :confused: :p I thought SF got us Tmac not Grumpy. :D

18. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Many great centers had great passing and great range. Its only because we've been watching Shaq who can't hit a shot beyond his arm's reach that people have been thinking great center is back it in, run over a guy and dunk.

How quickly we forget that one of reasons why Yao was so highly touted was his shooting range and passing ability not that he was going to run over people on his way to the hoop.

He's got the ability and we should use it.

19. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I like this idea, he did have some passes to tmac that were on the money

20. Panda

Panda Member

Yao's jumpers are less effective because he often hesitates before shooting it. The further out it is the more hesitant he is. That messes up a shooter's rhythm. The system has gotten into him.

On Yao's passing, he's 7'6" that can see over the defenders. When he raises his arms he's about ten feet tall. That kind of court vision and reach combined is an advantage that shouldnt' be ignored. T-Mac, Luther Head and DA to a lesser degree will be benefitted as cutters.

Yao doesn't need to fight for position everytime down the floor. Mixing it up will help him pace his energy for better post up plays and prolonged playing time. It makes the game more fun for him as well. Versatility ACTUALLY helps him mentally and physically in terms of post play. A versatile offensive threat, that's what Yao really is.