1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] US To Bid For 2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by halfbreed, Feb 19, 2007.

1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/19/AR2007021900914.html

USSF to Seek to Host 2018 World Cup, but '14 Also a Possibility

By Steven Goff
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007; Page E03

The U.S. Soccer Federation is formulating a bid to host the 2018 World Cup, an effort that could bring the quadrennial tournament here for the first time in 24 years as well as position the United States to stage the 2014 event in case a South American country is not ready.

USSF President Sunil Gulati said yesterday that the federation will form an organizing committee at this weekend's annual meetings in Los Angeles and prepare to formally advise FIFA, the sport's world governing body, of its intentions to compete for the 2018 tournament. England is also planning a bid. The host is likely to be chosen in 2012.

"We showed in 1994 that the U.S. is capable of hosting a terrific event," Gulati said in a telephone interview. "Now, with the way the soccer landscape in this country has evolved, we would be in position to put on a spectacular event. We are much more a part of the sport internationally than we were in 1994."

Amid global skepticism about holding the tournament in a nontraditional soccer-playing country, the '94 World Cup set the record for largest average game attendance (68,991) and generated millions of dollars in revenue for the nine U.S. venues, including Washington, and for various national soccer initiatives.

Last summer's World Cup in Germany, played in stadiums with smaller seating capacities than the U.S. football facilities used in 1994, averaged 52,491, the third-highest figure in tournament history.

Despite concerns about its preparedness, South Africa is set to host the 2010 tournament. A South American country is scheduled to stage the 2014 event, with Brazil and Colombia having expressed interest, but FIFA President Joseph "Sepp" Blatter has left open the possibility of awarding it elsewhere.

"We have said that the 2014 World Cup will be staged in South America," he said recently. "But if there is no candidate strong enough, then we would go north instead as the logical thing."

Mexico -- which hosted in 1970 and '86 -- might also formulate a bid for 2018 and be ready for 2014.

Gulati said the USSF is focused on 2018, not 2014, but "obviously FIFA knows what we're capable of and, if something else changed, we would be open to any other possibilities."

FIFA is planning to choose the 2014 site this November, seven years in advance instead of the usual six in case of bidding issues. Most South American countries are supporting Brazil, which has won the World Cup a record five times but has not staged it since 1950. The country will have to rebuild many stadiums and improve its infrastructure. The last South American country to host the World Cup was Argentina in 1978.

FIFA's decision to award the 1994 tournament to the United States was based largely on big crowds for soccer at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles and, Gulati said, faith in the USSF's ability to run a world-class tournament in an emerging soccer nation.

A bid for 2018, he said, is bolstered by the success of the 1994 event; two successful Women's World Cups; a growing TV audience for international matches; an established pro league in MLS; the emergence of the national team; and the availability of numerous new stadiums, such as those in Seattle, Houston, Tampa and Phoenix, to compete against 1994 host cities.

"We've got some history and a track record," said Gulati, a Columbia University economics professor who has been involved in U.S. soccer administration for more than 25 years and worked on the 1994 bid committee.

Gulati, who was elected USSF president last year, said FIFA was "very open" to the idea of a 2018 U.S. bid and that CONCACAF, the governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean, was "very positive."

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

SWEET. i wanna go :D

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Never attended a game in '94 but it was kind of fun to host. Stopped to watch the final on a sidewalk by a San Francisco bar... lot's of interested fans there. On one flight we had some drunk, singing (continuously) Irish fans behind us.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I got to go to a 1994 game. I don't think I really appreciated it until I got older as I was only 11 at the time.

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Hopefully, Brasil will get it in 2014 and then the USA in 2018. Just as a symbolic choice and hopefully as a turn for the better, Brasil will get to host it in 2014. They have earned it in every possible way as far as the game is concerned and every effort should be made by FIFA (and Brasil of course) but especially FIFA to ensure that this happens.
    Brasil as a country has its major problems yes, but Lula is doing his best to correct as many as possible and I think the Brasilian people can pull it together.
    South America deserves to host a WC and Brasil would be the most likely choice....Uruguay and Chile would be next.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Brazil is almost guaranteed to host in 2014. All of South America is backing them. Unless they have some serious staduim issues that can't be worked out in the next 7 years, it's their's to lose.

If FIFA hadn't changed the way they dole these out, the US would have bid on (and probably won) 2010. It was all part of the Project 2010 initiative they put out in the early 90's. Unless Mexico can put together a really strong bid, I would think that the US will be the host in 2018.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You guys haven't paid attention? :rolleyes: No countries in same continent have hosted consecutive 'Cups since Sweden-Switzerland. Technology and stadiums have evolved. I am more than happy that Africa finally hosts. I'd like to be fair and give Australia a shot :eek: . They're cycling through continents and Asia and Africa just joined the biggest football party.

No way USA hosts one before more-crazy countries like COLOMBIA, Argentina or Mexico host. :eek:

I hope I am wrong, though... it is MHO, but if Estados Unidos hosts, we can have a better chance to go to a game. :cool:

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

south america and north america =/ the same continent.

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the US got it after Brazil. The 94 WC is still the most profitable ever, and if there's one thing that FIFA cares about it's money.

10. SwoLy-D

Thank you for your "North American" insight. :rolleyes:

In the "United States of America" it's not, but if you learn the continents in every other country, AMERICA is from Alaska/greenland to Tierra Del Fuego/Islas Malvinas. ;) This is also true for FIFA purposes.

Do you want me to prove my point?
    Eu Sweden
    Am Chile
    Eu England
    Am Mexico
    Eu Germany
    Am Argentina
    Eu Spain
    Am Mexico (again!)
    Eu Germany (again!)
    Am United States of America
    Eu France
    As Korea/Japan
    Af South Africa

How you like THEM apples?

11. SamFisher

Well then in that case, France 1998, Korea/Japan 2002 and Germany 2006 were all on the same continent, EURASIA

So actually it goes like this

Eu Sweden
    Am Chile
    Eu England
    Am Mexico
    Eu Germany
    Am Argentina
    Eu Spain
    Am Mexico (again!)
    Eu Germany (again!)
    Am United States of America
    Eu France
    Eu Korea/Japan
    Eu Germany
    Af South Africa

Pwned.

#11 SamFisher, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Actually, for FIFA they are different, that's why there is CONCACAF and CONMEBOL.

13. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

So why is North America part of CONCACAF and South America part of CONMEBOL?

They're two different continents and two different soccer/football federations.

14. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

FIFA came up with this idea of alternating WC's between continents shortly after th '54 WC (Switzerland) in which they promptly awarded the '58 WC to Sweden. Since then they have done their best to alternate.

Shortly after Blatter took over FIFA it was decided to let every continent host a WC before they could host another one. So if that's the case, then Europe will not host another WC until 2022 or 2026. I doubt that's going to happen. The interesting thing is that Blatter and most likely his successor will promise anything to get the votes needed to stay in power, like Blatter promising Oceania their own guaranteed spot in the WC instead of having to play Asia or South America if they helped re-elect him. They did and he won and went back on his promise.

Blatter can not keep this up if he wants to run again, people will remember his empty promises. He has to deliver on his promises and do what he can to make sure South America (CONMEBOL) gets another shot at hosting.

15. SwoLy-D

Ha. NIce try, SamFisher. EURASIA is not there... wtf is that "pwned" sh*t...? :confused: You can't "pwn" someone if you make up sh*t. :p

Anyway... USA will NOT get host until someone else from another continent (not ANY America country) gets it. I see Michel Platini or Beckenbauer as the next FIFA leader. :cool:

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Damn, that's a long time from now, but would still be pretty bad azz...

18. SamFisher

Sorry SwoLy-D, but the Eurasian landmass is recognized by many as a continent - there's certainly more geographic basis for that than North and South America.

One more thing, Swoly - rathern than being taught that North America and South America are only one continent in "every other country", it seems that this is the exception, being taught primarily in Latin American countries, while the rest of the world learns differently:

So, let me give you the ol DOBLE PWNED:

pwnedpwned

#18 SamFisher, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  19. SwoLy-D

In MEXICO, the way I learned it, it is 7 continents. At least that's the model I learned. You United States people are very ethnocentric. It's ok, though... learn it however you want here.
    That's so original, man... how'd you put my nick into all that???. :rolleyes:

20. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

the world is gonna end 2012 so **** it lol