1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach agreement to sign Austin Rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BMoney, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Looking at our starting line up

Harden - Ego - House - Tucker - Capela

First off the bench will be???
    Green or Rivers?
    Does Knight get ANY burn ?

Rocket River

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I would think Green will be first off the bench. With Knight not being productive, I'm pretty sure Rivers is going to take his minutes pretty quickly.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it can hardly be called optimism because it was pretty realistic description

good ball handler
    good speed
    good finisher around the rim
    good 3pt shooter
    decent defender
    plays with heart/fortitude

I always liked his game and it was strange to me to see ppl not willing to give him credit and always preferring to view him as a bad player just because he has a famous dad
    ps i mean he was nothing special but his skill demonstrated on the floor and how people viewed him were in a glaring contradiction imho

Chanmarr, Hard_foul, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Fire Mike D and sign Doc Rivers????

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m fairly certain I have read on here the last two seasons that he has improved. In his first few years he did suck. And some alluded to that he would not have got that chance unless his dad was in the league. I agree with all of that myself.

GotGame15 likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are calling him good while all your points are either mediocre or above average.

Yeah, decent enough ball handler and can dish out assists at time but there are far better players for sure.

Let's just not get ahead ourselves. Almost every mediocre (not bad player) guy in the NBA can go and score 25 or 30 now in one or two games.

The NBA is that competitive.

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This means that the move addresses a significant injury from our secondary franchise player. Past the numbers and the needs, I was simply expressing the general dislike of AR as a person, but the ability of Rockets players to overlook personal differences on the court.

The mention of Trev relates to reasons AR is not popular among this group. Although he isn't with us any longer, he is still very close to the Harden/CP/Tuck/Ego/Clint/Deroz/Etc brotherhood.

It's similar but not as messy as James and Dwight trying to play together, despite the fact that they hated eachother off of the court, created locker room cliques, but to those who don't follow the team, it just seemed like a bad fit on the court. We all know there was more to it than that. God bless Jason Jet Terry.

XO

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We got

Michael Carter-Williams, Carmelo Anthony, Marquese Chriss, Brandon Knight and now Austin Rivers

How many no talent, no potential having roster spot wasters can we hold?? Where my dude Brewer at? Down town Bobby Brown?

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the first time i watched him play 4-5 years ago for the pelicans or it was hornets.. i knew he is a solid player

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

topfive likes this.
  13. valorita

valorita Member

It’s hard to root for Rivers the player but he does have a skill set that is maximized by our style and needs.

Chucker = not afraid to shoot
    Arrogant = confident
    Ball stopper = good isolation skills
    Pounds the ball = good handles
    Out of control = fast enough to beat his man

And with our spacing and green light, along with defenses focusing on Harden, I actually see a scenario that would work out better than expected.

Ofcourse, this could be like herpes too.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we dont need no world beaters just competent role players around harden .. austin rivers is a perfect fit.. i also like very much that he is fearless ie plays with ferocity and poise

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Look, we are trying to salvage our face and this season.

The half assing effort to play our young guys and develop them has not borne any fruits. They got inconsistent minutes.

At least let's collect some wins.

This is painful enough.

Austin has the name because of his dad, yep he is fearless, and he is dumb sometimes.

It's the same crowd that said Brandon Knight could magically score more than 10 pts again in his first games.

Realistically he helps but you take away minutes from guys like Danuel and Gerald who have been playing well.

Magic Mike is not magically playing those guys the same amount of minutes.

#295 daywalker02, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol. Ennis and Gordon fading right about now, too.

hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  17. BigBum

BigBum Member

This season, there are 10 tiers for role players in my book.
    Tier 1, Kelly Oubre
    Tier 9: KCP, Rivers, JR Smith
    Tier 10: MCW, Knight

This move has improved the ross, asking price for KCP and JR is sky high.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im sorry I can't root for a b**** like Rivers and this is a sad and pathetic attempt by Morey to help - it stinks of desperation.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah he shot 53% from the ft line. 32% from 3 and 37% overall his first year. And upped each of those percentages just a bit his second year.

Extremely solid bro.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

I dont get this. They prolly got him as insurance to cp3 getting hury a lot. But we have knight who they are prolly worried wont round into shape in time. But rivers and MCW have similar games, as well as weaknesses.

Wouldve preferred a a veteran Gleaguer whos ballin out this year.