1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Major

Major Member

I think it's fascinating that you try to preach some type of moral superiority while throwing around childish namecalling yourself. Generally, when people have credible arguments, they don't resort to nonsense.

joshuaao and jiggyfly like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

There are lots of people who criticize him with no such issues, so perhaps this is a reflection of your credibility based on what you've posted.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Oh my goodness. shut up, man.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Dreamshook, you have pissed off the contented moderates, but hang in there.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If people were posting weak ass **** like this about Bernie I'd be defending him and mocking the OP just the same -- so would most of us. Your political game is weaker than Mayor Pete's resume -- try harder.

joshuaao, B-Bob and jiggyfly like this.
  6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I can see Warren making a pivot to the center come the general election, if she's still around. But Buttigieg suddenly becoming this exciting, inspirational figure that young people, minorities and moderates are going to rally behind? Not happening, IMO.

If Buttigieg somehow wins the nomination I'll support the hell out of him. (Hopefully in the process he'll win me over with his proposals and leadership abilities.) But my time might be better spent applying for citizenship elsewhere.

FYI, I didn't name drop Warren because I'm sold on her either. I'm not sold on anyone and I'm growing more nervous with each passing day!

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

What's wrong with being content and reasonable?

pgabriel likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can see where some might think Pete is kind a shady, he kind of has a Eddie Haskel vibe and he kind of comes off as rehearsed.

But I still cannot understand the pure hate, I think it stems from jealousy because a young white male has accomplished so much so he must be crooked.

This a qoute from the NYT article, it sums up the issue most have with Pete.

College was always for a kid like Peter,” the political commentator Krystal Ball said — “he and the other special flowers who get tracked onto the smart-kid path, which so often just happens to coincide with being white and being affluent.”

We are truly ****ed.

#688 jiggyfly, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Oh ****.

You know you done ****ed up when Cheetah is calling you out.

Invisible Fan and Deckard like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe our culture just can't stand people who seem super smart anymore. Pete doesn't seem to have, in any way at all, a "common speech" or "one of the guys" gear, and that's nothing about him being gay or anything. He's just professorial and oozes his smarts. Not that he wants to come off that way; I think he just can't help it.

Obama was professorial too, but he had that smile and had an easier sense of humor about him. (if you ask me). Even then, I've always thought his professorial demeanor caused just as much of the backlash as his color. Okay, maybe not "just as much," but a lot. Americans hate being preached to. Coddled and stoked, by turns? Sure, that seems to sit well with them.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This is a gotcha moment? Ok. Whole lot of nothing.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't know if read the NYT article but this sums it right here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/16/magazine/pete-buttigieg.html

The gravitational center of the rage against Buttigieg has been Very Online, as has the maximalism of its tone — its insistence that Buttigieg, by thriving within the American architecture of capitalism and privilege, must personally embody all its worst qualities.

Thats it in a nutshell.

13. Major

Major Member

jiggyfly, joshuaao and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Don't post stupid stuff and I'll stop calling you out for posting stupid stuff. Deal?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Very concise and accurate.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think this Pete hate is very beneficial to Biden, it takes the bulls eye off of him leading into Iowa.

I also think the far ;left crowd would be more willing to vote for Biden than Pete, they just despise him too much.

Major and B-Bob like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Very well stated.

Biden needs to take note.

Deckard likes this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Like Mayor Pete or not, it’s pretty refreshing to read someone with real intelligence. Night and day to what we’ve been accustomed to.

20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member