1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Elizabeth Warren for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One Obama source noted, however, he would do the same for any one of the 2020 Democrats.

This comes after a report that Obama in 2015 said that if voters rallied behind Warren, who helped set up the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in his administration, it would be a "repudiation" of his economic policies. It also comes after a September report on the "far more combative relationship" between Warren and the Obama administration "than she usually discusses on the campaign trail."

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Poco is still all in on the wine cave -- I feel like I'm watching a Kate McKinnon skit.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  6. TheresTheDagger

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

To be fair, $400 (8 semesters) for college back then would have been equivalent to around 3k in today's money. Warren's family was supposedly poor at the time of her entering college so them not being able to afford it is understandable. Luckily for her, looks like she got a good scholarship.

From WIki
    At the same time, 3k is still a SUPER bargain compared to the cost of universities today.

GSU's tuition for undergraduates today is now over 55k... per year. https://studentaccounts.gwu.edu/undergraduate-tuition

Considering the context, I don't see the problem.

Nook, nacho bidness and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dumb point to make if you're arguing against lower tuition or debt forgiveness.

Bottom line is that people in the 70s had better opportunities at affordable colleges and healthcare.

But that dun now dried up and all we gut left is the hypocrisy police...

Lock'em up!!!!

R0ckets03 likes this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well Obama has said he would rouse himself from celebrity and getting paid to try to stop Sanders. He has not traditionally been friendly toward Warren, but supporting still gives him some progressive cred.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

She said they couldn't afford an application fee, so it wouldn't matter that it was relatively affordable, still wasn't necessarily for them.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She transferred from the LeTourneau of Foggy Bottom to the Sorbonne of Third Ward; before they built the arcade/bowling alley/Asian pool hall and started serving phillies at the Towers they could swing a cheap rate for non-traditionals like Warren with spouses and a far away ass job as long as you mentioned both during every meeting of every group project. "Two Jacksons and a Saw" was the old motto before they changed it to "In Time," the latter in reference to matriculation there being similar to a layover at an airport terminal: boring but diverse, and you could probably do worse.

#1211 Dairy Ashford, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Warren is my second choice. The centrist must be really scared that Biden, Mayo Pete and Klobuchar can't win. They have come all the way back around a second time to Warren after checking the tires once before and abandoning her for another candidate the first time.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I wonder if the same people who criticize this also make fun of the far more egregious grift of the current president selling himself as a self made business man when he nutted out of a 413 million dollar penis?

14. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

As a conservative who wants the Republicans to hold on to the White House in 2020, I really hope that Warren is the Democrats’ nominee.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes I am, in an election that will be against him. Context. It's important.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Who in their right mind would conclude Warren has a better chance of winning than Biden?

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Have you seen Biden? Biden has no chance against Trump. Anybody is better than Biden.

Ottomaton likes this.
  19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

With respect, there’s no polling or data to back up this type of argument. You’re speculating because you personally dislike him. I get it.

I think it’s fair to assume the vague concept of “electability” generally refers to some combination of: state polling, H2H and name recognition.

These are all strengths of Biden and why he’s still the frontrunner. Warren has no advantage in these areas. Couple that with her horrendous instincts as a candidate (Pocohantas, healthcare, wine cave) and you have a candidate that is rightfully scaring the hell out of some Democrats.

I like and respect her as a Senator, but I don’t know how anyone can look at her and the campaign she’s run so far and seriously conclude she has a better chance of winning than Biden or Bernie.

joshuaao likes this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would conclude the Warren has a better chance than Biden, but I'm definitely not in my right mind.

Biden is old and past his prime. The general public isn't paying very much attention right now and so Biden's slippage isn't that noticeable. Once he is the only candidate and is getting extensive coverage and lies/slander etc. from the Trump team he will only get worse.

Warren has a track record of sticking up for the little guy and consumers against big business corruption. She has actually done things about it. She also has the benefit of having started out as a Republican. It was once she saw the unfairness of the big business interests that she changed.

That message will play well in many battleground states, especially in the rust belt. Not everyone is excited about all of Warren's ideas. But plenty of people are. Almost zero people are excited about Biden's policy agenda. His main reason for support is that people think he can beat Trump and name familiarity. To win Dems will need turnout in the battleground states. I think Warren can get that better than Biden can.

joshuaao and mikol13 like this.