1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Overrated US Founding Father Ever

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by heypartner, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thomas Jefferson

Most Underrated

George Washington -- don't get Acedemic with me and suggest Federalist Papers' dudes like Jay. Washington delivered like no one else.

I'm not just talking presidents....it just so happens I honestly believe TJ is most overrated...

BY FAR!

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Jefferson's overrated, but I'm about 95% certain that people are going to cite stupid stuff like "he owned slaves and f'd that one slave" as a major reason for that, and that is completely, totally idiotic. Jefferson's problem was that he simply didn't see the potential of America, the power that it could wield. He was too married to his viewpoints and background to understand what America could become, which meant he was a slave to his silly quasi-libertarian ideals.

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

So many things but lets try Louisiana Purchase. Game. Set. Match. Lock 'er up, mods.

4. heypartner

Jefferson was overrated because he wrote one thing (one of the fathers of Libertarianism) and did another.

My dislike has nothing to do with Mount Vernon.

5. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Jefferson would laugh at the Tea Party. You rate someone on their contribution the the nation. Saying Jefferson gets too much credit is just plain silly.

6. heypartner

Since when did we need to purchase anything.

o v e r r a t e d

7. heypartner

What does the Tea Party have to do with Libertarianism? Jeffersonianism had a major opportunity...then the dude went DC on us...went Founding Father inner loop on us

TJ was a failure on his own terms.

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Thomas Paine - founder of modern liberalism and an overall kook if there ever was one.

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

Thomas Jefferson's view on politics and religion is very intriguing to me. Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson were ahead of their times in terms of their perspectives in my opinion. I will have to disagree with people saying he was overrated.

I know Thomas Paine is not considered a founding father, but I feel he does not get enough recognition.

I still don't understand why Andrew Jackson (I know he is not a founding father, just throwing it out there) is on our twenty dollar bill. Personally, I feel he is overrated in American history. He won a battle in New Orleans when the war was already over IIRC. He repeatedly ignored the Supreme Court. Trails of tears....

Andrew Hamilton would get my vote for being the most underrated. George Washington gets the most praise out of anyone else except maybe Benjamin Franklin and Abe Lincoln.

It's really hard for me to pick one for being overrated, but I'll give it to John Adams.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya... authoring the book that inspired the revolutionary war isn't important.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

This "useless" purchase doubled the size of the US. DOUBLED.

12. heypartner

When did I say "useless." I said "when did we have to buy anything." We didn't have to do it. Fact is: the Purchase was really only about the Mississippi Delta. Don't fool yourself....we paid $200m for New Orleans. Didn't Oprah just buy New Orleans for $200m 7 years ago?

And we still had to go to war after that.

That purchase was a Stupid...very dumb ... purchase that achieved NOTHING

It is the epitome of how

o v e r r a t e d

TJ is

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Stop dancing, bro. Pick an argument. Why is he overrated? He wrote our founding document, was responsible for acquiring half the country (then, is the answer to your question of when did we ever need to purchase anything), and a whole slew of other stuff. You have to show that whatever your beef is overwhelms the great things listed. Otherwise, he not overrated, just imperfect, as everyone is or was.

14. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Are you now just being stupid? $15 million for the LP? That was brilliant.

15. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'm actually taking a British history course right now (no I'm not a history major), and you'd be surprised the contributions he have made in his life.

He not only affected American politics, but also British and French. He was an extreme radical in Britain. He wanted universal male suffrage and wanted to go away from the aristocratic society that Britain was in. He ran away to France because he was about to be arrested for his pamphlet "Rights of Man." And even in France he made huge impact. He was part of the council that was in charge of the French Revolution process. He actually tried to save the lives of the monarch family during the "Reign of Terror." He wanted to send them to America so they could become more "democratic." Of course, he didn't get what he wanted.

Not to mention, he wanted emancipation of African slaves as well as the end of the slave trade.

TLDR cliff notes; Thomas Paine was definitely not overrated.

"I have always regarded Paine as one of the greatest of all Americans. Never have we had a sounder intelligence in this republic ... It was my good fortune to encounter Thomas Paine's works in my boyhood" - Thomas Edison

16. heypartner

No...2 strings of beads for Manhattan was Brilliant.

$200m for New Orleans when we still had to go to War after that.

overrated

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Underrated- Alexander Hamilton.

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

Even if the purchase was mainly about the Mississippi Delta, it still brought us vast land and resources that we eventually needed. Whether or not intentional, it does not matter. The vast land and resources from the Louisiana Purchase are not overrated, and Thomas Jefferson was a main part of it regardless if he knew or not.

Look man, can we just agree to disagree? I ain't even mad that you think TJ is overrated. We all got our own opinions. :)

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Wait, are we playing a game where everybody says something stupid?

Cool, I'll play: The Beatles are overrated.

(on a side note- what's with people today being absolute f**King morons today? First the guy who couldn't figure out the change on a $20.49 tab when I gave him $21.00, and now HP)

20. heypartner

Beatles are not a founding father. Try again.

And buying New Orleans for the equivalent of what Oprah just paid .... then THEN having to go to War 8 yrs later to secure it....

That is the definition of

Overrated

TJ!!! My man!!