1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale doesn’t think James Harden is a leader

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Oct 6, 2017.

1. JaceMan da SpaceMan

What s her email is

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Did McHale have to be a leader like Harden on the court?

3. illwil29

illwil29 Member

He wasn't a pushover and yes he would be there in the thick of things when it was crunch time. Not saying Harden is a pushover , but your post said the rings Larry Bird won. It was just not accurate. Mchale is one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history. Didn't agree with his coaching, but he was a tough SOB on the court.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We need a poll . . . .

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Rhino doesn't think McHale knows anything about coaching

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I know he was one of the great 4s, but that doesn't equate leadership. His limp came out of him playing injured during the championships, but the way he coaches makes the injury a clear example of emphasize playing harder over playing smarter.

He's not a good leader either. He should understand that when referencing another player.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

If McHale was a leader......he would have a coaching job today

Just because Harden & D12 fought over alpha dog roles doesn’t mean that Harden hasn’t changed.
    McHale is dwelling on the past. That was then (2 yrs ago); what is Hardens leadership now?

#127 ApacheWarrior, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    don grahamleone and DonKnock like this.
  8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This will always be the go-to narrative about James until he wins big. It's unfortunate, but a reality.

Kevin still seems bitter, either way.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Harden ends up looking like the one that knew what he was doing “basketball-wise”

McHale is dumb as dirt and didn’t lead (coaches main job)

Dwight thinks this is still the 80’s and that his post up game is the most efficient shot in basketball

Harden dumped both those Turkeys and moved on towards “space-n-pace” ball that is going further
    in the playoffs nowadays.

Morey recognizes this concept by way of analytics. Went with the winner plus add-ons

10. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Harden lead this team to the Western Conference Finals... 3 seed in the West last year when it was projected 41-41 in preseaon.. What has CP3 done with better talent? I mean let's be real!

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I know Harden is in a place to be above all the criticisms, but I'd love to hear him be 'honest' about McHale the way that McHale was 'honest' about him. McHale was not a very good coach. The Rockets have had 4 really good basketball coaches with 1 ex-player trying to fill the role in-between. McHale was our filler. Rudy, JVG, Adelman, MDmA and a turd wedged in there.

In that segment, McHale clearly baits the two Rocket haters on the panel and ignores the rest. It's not like McHale was there to debate. Leadership is complicated and they tried to simplify it. I think what they really meant was a vocal leader. If they would have called it what it is, I'd have no issue.

On another note, Shaq needs to get off the TV. Dude gets respect by FTWinning live on TV.

--JJ Fatt, Triple Chin, more douche one liners

12. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

if only harden had LIGHT-SKIN CONNECTION

#132 RocketsTruth, Oct 6, 2017
  13. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Damn it hurts to hear him trash Harden like that. Hurts even more that he was telling the truth. Putting our business out in the streets like that was a hoe move Mchale.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure how this is relevant to what he said today. I didn't agree with McHale on the PG thing, knew he was wrong. Doesn't make him wrong all the time.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

McHale is not a leader. . . never has been . . . he is a mediocre coach at best that had a team that performed inspite of him
    The talent heart and drive of the players pushed those squads
    I am not going to say he was not a great motivator or encourager but he was not a leader imo

McHale - Draw up a play for us . . . . .

Rocket River

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There are different kinds of leaders. Some are vocal, and we can all think of examples, and some lead more with their play on the court. James is more of that stripe. You don't average 11 dimes a game without being a leader, even if a quiet one, not in my opinion. CP3 is entirely different. While he plays, like Harden, at an extremely high level most of the time, he isn't the least bit shy, on or off the court. I think James just has a different personality. As for McHale, I watched him play, and like heypartner said, he was far from the leader of that team. Like Harden, he led more with his play. You had to drag him off the court, and he pays for that every single day. While I'm glad he isn't our coach, I sure as hell wish we had a clone of the guy with the Rockets. He would fit in beautifully, in my opinion.

illwil29 and DonKnock like this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BTW Who in the locker room was half the player that Harden was that could shake their layup blowing 3 pt brinking ass heads???

Rocket River

B-Bob likes this.
  18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

**** it, Milkhair is right.

**** coach, very fair points though.

19. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

mchale was wrong about harden being the issue with dwight as well.

"I think the hawks will be a great fit for dwight, i know coach b. And i think he and dwight will get along just fine"

Drogba likes this.
  20. illwil29

illwil29 Member

I whole heartedly see your point, you are talking to somebody that defended T- mac year after year. I was just just pointing out what invisible fan said. Mchale may not be a great coach like I said, but he wasn't going to back down as a player. He was in many wars with the Celtics. Not vouching for him as a leader either, but invisible fan said McHale would motivate players he was coaching with the rings Larry Bird won and I just couldn't agree with that. Mchale earned those rings he didn't ride somebody's coat tail. I didn't have a problem with invisible fan's opinion either. Just the Larry Bird's rings part

#140 illwil29, Oct 6, 2017