1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Has late night tv always been this politically involved?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Dec 12, 2017.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I remember watching late night tv as a kid right before bed and loved it. Now you have Kimmel proposing gun control and universal healthcare, Colbert bashing the Republicans every night and Seth Meyers saying that if you support the president don't watch his show. Late night shows now have become political activism.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

#BecauseTrump

3. TheresTheDagger

It's always been political, but never quite to the degree we see today.

And, perhaps because of the non stop drum beat of political rhetoric coming at us from every angle (news, commentary, sports, social media, Hollywood, etc) it seems worse than ever. But, I dunno....in the days of Carson it just seemed...more lighthearted and felt less like life and death.

I wish the late night shows would understand the role they could play in America...the one that Carson and even the early days of Letterman represented. That time where people could end their day on a good laugh and forget about politics for an hour or so.

Roc Paint likes this.
  4. body slam

body slam Member

This is why I watch Jimmy Fallon. You have a occasional political joke, but not over the top like the others. Plus he's entertaining.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I’m going to guess that it sort of coincides with the time reality show buffoons started running for and getting elected president. Outside of Fox news land, that isn’t exactly normal and maybe worth talking about a little more than your standard political fare.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am finding an increasing number of people using these sources at their go to information source. Recently I had different conversations with three unrelated people and they all had the same consensus. Turns out they were Colbert fans and blindly following his dribble.

You can believe what you want, just do not use paid entertainment industry as your only source. Their only conviction is getting paid. This includes your Colberts, Kimmels, Steward, Limbaugh, Hannity, pretty much anyone on Fox and CNN.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

thread starter comrade snowflake gets his feelings hurt by late night shows...boo hoo!

the late night talk show formula is played out - jon stewart & colbert changed the game.

i bet you're fun at parties.

i think they do understand the role they could play in america, which is why they are doing what they are doing. if you dont like it then dont watch.

what was the discussion about and what was their consensus? how do you know they were all blindly following his dribble - did they steal one of his jokes?

#7 jo mama, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    R0ckets03 likes this.
  8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

TV in general sucks outside of sports coverage. Netflix, HBO Now, reddit HD sports streams are all you need. Let me correct that. The internet is all you need.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I too would like to hear some details of Space Ghost's anecdote.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you must, the tax reform.

"Its a tax cut for the rich"
    "Its increases taxes on the middle class and hurts the poor"

Apparently corporations are now 'rich' people and all rich people have tens of millions of dollars they are funneling through the estate tax every year somehow.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with the tax reform. Just stop using idiot rhetoric to make a point.

edwardc likes this.
  11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

This goes back to what SG said that people shouldn't get their news from late night hosts but unfortunately they do.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That happened.

jo mama likes this.
  13. jo mama

so colbert is the only one disagreeing with trumps tax plan? and your three unrelated people you spoke with got all their info and formed their opinion about it from colbert? and you asked them where they got their info from and all three of them said "colbert"?

i believe you.

14. jo mama

you only say this b/c they are speaking out against your comrade trump.

how do you feel about people who get their news from rush limbaugh and fox news?

edwardc likes this.
  15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

How should I feel about people listening to the news on the radio?

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They absolutely understand their role. They know they can be a platform for things and are using their shows as such. And your sentiment about Carson isn't really valued by modern America or at least younger generations. Coping with (the comedy aspect) and informing yourself (the bits of news) of reality is more important than burying your head in the sand.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

TheFreak likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

Is it really shocking though? We have grown ass 'educated' men and women using catch phrases in office/ FAKE NEWS!
    It all feels like a badly made for comedy channel movie.

19. jo mama

you tell me comrade. you are the one who started a thread about being butthurt that late night tv show hosts say things about trump that you dont like.

limbaugh listeners literally call themselves "dittoheads". believing anything he tells them is a source of pride. so are they bad too?

CometsWin likes this.