1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Half of All Jobs Will Be Replaced by Artificial Intelligence(AI) in 10 Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, May 18, 2017.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I hope It will not replace me until I retire, finger crossed. This is the type of issues faced by the world, and we have people who think bring back coal jobs is the answer.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

As A.I. comes into existence it will be the next "industrial revolution" and will impact the way people work and what they do. Cost of goods produced will go down considerably - humans won't need to be the producers they were in the past. Insurance will no longer be the cost burden it once was as automated vehicles and machinery greatly reduce accidents. Work hours should reduce greatly. New industries will arise to support the AI. There will be a systemic change that will need to be guided by policy to ensure a generation doesn't go through a financial crisis as we shift.

China will take no such consideration. It hasn't through it's current revolution - why would it change it's approach now?

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Can we start with President?

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I'm sure computers had a similar effect in the 1980's and 1990's, but the ability to use computers also created many jobs. The internet of the 2000's to present has probably had a similar effect, as well.

JMK's idea that we will be immersed in leisure time to the point that we won't know what to do with it is just bullshit.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I'm safe. Although drones are changing things rapidly.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I could see it in 20 years or so but not likely in 10. Would be interesting to see what robots can do to the healthcare industry. For example would you trust robotics for something like open heart surgery? We trust machinery to give us perfect vision with lasik surgery. How about trusting a robot to perform phlebotomy for an annual check up? I've been lucky to have a good lab tech and nurses when I go for my check ups but I've had friends and family with horror stories about their phlebotomist missing veins and getting stabbed repeatedly by some healthcare professionals.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

To me automated cars is a bigger shift than almost any other job I can think of.

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

There's a new show on NatGeo called Year Million that just started this week, all about this topic.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just in time for the elections.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

probably true, with a qualifier. Half of all of TODAY job.

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So what are population control measures going to be like?

Much of the exponential population growth in the last century was fueled by the industrial revolution and its need for able body workers. There is no need for that anymore.

In the age of AI and robots, we need to significantly reduce the global population to maintain economic and political stability.

How do we achieve that without resorting to our genocidal tendencies as humans?

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The most natural solution would be to hand out free sex robots.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The thread premise is total and utter bullshit.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Is this going to affect the prostitution industry?

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

This is complete BS, and coal jobs are good jobs for the uneducated. I know no one is supposed to give a crap about people without a HS diploma but they exist.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems to me that people who have been displaced by machines in the last 50 years, like auto factory workers, get shunted into much lower paying jobs in food service and retail. I agree that they will still find jobs, I just worry that half of the country is going to be working at Walmart for minimum wage, where in the 1970's they were working factory jobs for in excess of $20/hr.

People with extensive education should be perfectly fine for the short term. Poor people will still find jobs. They'll just quadruple the number of McDonalds, Home Depot, and Starbucks storefronts.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Extended high unemployment is great for things like prostitution and drug dealing. If you can't get a legit job, you've got to hustle for a buck somehow.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Ten years? No way.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

We should build a wall to save our jobs from these robots.
    [​IMG]
    Did we learn nothing from the Skynet disaster?

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

we should build robots that like to build walls. no jobs building a wall right now so all new jobs would just be building the robots with no jobs lost.