1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fry's Electronics: Like em or not?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Aug 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I was driving up 59 from Sugar Land the other day and much to my surprise I saw the construction of a new Fry's near the Beltway! I think that's a good thing. The other one on 45 is just too far out of my way.

Are there any regular shoppers of Fry's here? I thought they had some good deals but prices as a whole didn't seem that much cheaper than any other place.

I'm not sure when the new place opens.

2. AGBee

AGBee Member

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Is that cheaper than Best Buy or any other place?

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Fry's has good buys and sales. Just be sure of what you want and make sure that you keep the receipt. They are kind of stubborn about refunds but have always let me exchange. I have bought computer parts from them and found their sales people to be rather limited in their knowledge of hardware but the prices are good.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't like them for their computer component prices...that is for sure. I went and priced several components recently and they were considerably more expensive. I'm with you that there are some good deals to be found but not for what I was shopping for. However, they do have good selection and do brisk business apparently but I have to question whether these consumers are getting the best deals from what I've seen.

6. drapg

drapg Member

[Nicole Ritchie]Loves it![/Nicole Ritchie]

Seriously... Fry's is my favorite store and the fact they're building one closer to my apartment makes me giddy as hell!

7. AGBee

AGBee Member

It's $49.99 at Circuit City or Best Buy, so yes.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'd never buy major electronics from them unless it was an emergency - same with computer equipment. From what I understand, they're difficult to deal with when it comes to returns. They also tend to throw used/opened merchandise in with their new stuff (they try to label them as used, but from what I understand, sometimes "forget").

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I used to love them back before they opened a store in Houston. Every time I'd go to Dallas, I'd have to stop at Fry's.

Now though.....I'd rather just shop in the comfort of my underwear at home on the net.

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I like Fry's a good deal. They've had some good deals over the years, and I've never had any problem with the quality of the products I've purchased there.

The biggest pain I had was that their closest store was in Garland, which was something of a drive. But they opened a store in Plano last year, so it's even better (and they opened a store in Irving, so there are four Fry's stores in the D/FW area now).

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You're absolutely right. They rewrap their returned items and throw them right back onto the shelves. Pay close attention to make sure that your item is in its original packaging.

Also, alot of their PC hardware and peripherals are refurbished, so buyer beware. I have gotten in on some excellent deals there on some things though. I bought ESPN 2K5 for $15.90 and NCAA 2005 for $37.99.

Another piece of advice is to comparison shop at Fry's, then pricematch at CC or Best Buy. I got my 32" WEGA for $590 from CC using the Fry's PM.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree with both you guys. You can find great deals on sale, and they have a hell of a lot of stuff, but don't think returning something is going to be easy. And their regular prices aren't that hot. I still enjoy going there and wandering around. More than Best Buy... that's for sure.

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I love the place. They have had alot of business since they opened the one on West Road in 2001. I usually go there AT LEAST once a month. This new location is further from my house, but I at least around that area more often.

Anybody know when it suppose to be open?

I also heard they are suppose to open one also on 45 south and the beltway, that would be sweet.

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Good find Mango, I guess I was right with them constructing a store on the Beltway and 45 South.

Damn 3 Fry's in Houston? Thats mad and insane.

With the one opening in the southwest area, wonder how its going to affect Direct Tron and Axion? :confused:

Thanks Mango, you just made it to my Sig line also.... :D

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I didn't have a problem trying to return something to them, however I did end up buying an item that was previously returned so you have to watch out for that. As far as their prices are concerned, I don't think they are worth driving all over town for.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i bought a fridge from them 2 months ago. i wasn't too thrilled about getting the warranty. the saleslady seemed quite pushy about it. but, just in case, i bought it anyways. well, the fridge malfunctioned last week. i called them and the next day they had another one delivered to my house. no problems whatsoever. so, my experience has been a good one.

18. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

They have good prices on some stuff and a large selection. But I did buy a motherboard from them that had already been returned. It was a while ago but I don't remember having a hard time returning it, just a pain to drive all the way back out there because of it.

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The article said "Webster" which is quite a bit further south than the beltway.

There's a large building being built right now just south of the Cinemark 18 in Webster. Whatever it is, it has a really cool facade on the front. I'm wondering if maybe this isn't the new Fry's. If so, it will sure make things easy for me when I need datacom/telecom stuff.

20. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I'm a big time Fry's fan. I've only had to return something once and it was no problem, no hassle... I didn't need my money back, cause I was upgrading the part...

I always find good deals at Fry's, I recently got a 17" LCD monitor for $269... awesome!