1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Long bombs are 1) slow to develop, which provides ample opportunity to get your QB pounded - and that's with a *good* OL; 2) generally, low-percentage plays that are just as likely to result in something bad (sack/interception) happening as they are good; 3) easier to defend, especially with safety help over top and a WR (Hopkins) that is not blazing fast; Hopkins cannot outrun coverage.

There is no passing attack in football built around long bombs. You're a fan of Patrick Mahomes, yes? Watson's air yards % is 10 points higher than Mahomes; that means the bulk of his passing yards are rooted in the distance his passes actually travel, as opposed to his WRs running after the catch. Mahomes' % is > 50%. (Watson's is ~60%). So he's throwing deeper, longer passes than Mahomes.

King1 and FLASH21 like this.
  2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That settles it:

Watson >>>>>>> Mahomies

Houstunna likes this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The better our offensive line gets, the more evident this will be.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also when we get all our weapons healthy. It would be nice to see Hopkins, Fuller V and Keke together on the field for half a season and see what happens.

coachbadlee likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't say build the game around the bomb, but sure would like to see it used more. The key is throwing the ball within Hopkins grasp, but away from the defender. Hopkins can grab anything within reach. Balls can't be thrown behind him, where they can be easily intercepted. We are so afraid to pass more, and I am just sick of run run pass. Yeah, we are winning, but man, it's just so boring. 3 games with more than 2 touchdowns, and 6 with 2 or less. Hopkins can actually move to the top receiving yards in the league. Watson could move to the most passing yards if he actually thre more the next few games. A lot of losing teams left to play, which could mean some high passing games. That should be fun to watch unless we play conservative. He won't get the most touchdowns though. Mahomes Just hits his end zone targets so well, and scrambles to find the open man, and is so good at throwing accurately on the run. He is gonna run away with that record.

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This makes no sense... you want them to throw the ball more, but when they throw it more, they lose. DW4 has 25 turnovers in his young career until he learns that he can't hero ball it they have to run a more reserved offense. When he doesn't turn it over, they win. There is no debate about that.

You can't compare Mahomes to DW4, because Mahomes is surrounded by elite skill position talent at RB, WR and TE. DW4 has Nuk and... Nuk. The difference between the Chiefs and Texans, is that the Texans have a decent offense and a great defense. The Chiefs have a great offense, and a terrible defense (as in 32 out of 32 teams). The Chiefs are going to have a wake up call in the playoffs.

FLASH21 likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's silly. They have a much better tight end, but we have the best receiver. Now we just added another good receiver. We don't use our tight ends enough, or other targets. It's the same stupid plays that won't keep working much longer. We have guys capable of catching the ball, including our running backs and tight ends, but BOB doesn't mix it up much. At some point we have to hope we can trust Watson to hit his targets without throwing interceptions. He has enough games under his belt by now. So why not throw more than run?

Nobody gives Mahomes credit for actually not throwing a ton of interceptions, but regardless of who his targets are he has to throw to them accurately, or would have just as many interceptions as lots of other quarterbacks. He is a rookie, but seems to have a natural ability not to get so rattled. Watson doesn't get rattled easy either, which is good. Mahomes throws on the run a lot, and with amazing accuracy at times. He doesn't just stand there in the pocket with all the time in the world like some quarterbacks seem to have. Anyway, I would just like to see us run less and throw more, especially preparing for games ahead. Maybe Watson isn't ready yet though, like you said, who knows.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Go root for him then. You're like his biggest stan.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Wants long pass ball when we have one of the shttiest oline and still proceeds to complain the lack of it. U do know that it takes time to throw the ball, Watson doesnt have the luxury to stand there and wait for Hopkins to run down field.

What debs dont seem to understand is bob doesnt want to put his young QB further at risk with the sht oline hence the massive amount of rushing plays, fewer pass plays and less turnovers. The biggest complaint that many of us have of this plan is that he needs to fking spice up the playcalling not just rushing it up the middle.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Svpernaut

Do you understand what having a real weapon at each skill position means? Meaning a top 5 threat at each of their position in TE, RB and WR? It means they can't guard them all. Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce are all elite skills position players for their positions. Sammy Watkins is a pretty damn good 4th option too.

Maybe you'll understand this... the Texans receivers have 887 total YAC. The Chiefs? 1329 YAC... which is about as good of an indicator of their play makers as you could ever want. The Texans have one receiver with 200+ YAC, Nuk. The Chiefs have FOUR with 200+ YAC, and Kelce leads them all with 309 YAC. All 3 of Houston's TEs have a total of 159 YAC.

Nearly half of Mahomes' total passing yards are YAC, while about 30% of DW4's are YAC.

bilaal14, Fulgore and FLASH21 like this.
  11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's still good at least threaten to go deep. It opens up everything underneath even if they're incomplete. Bombs can also draw penalties even if incomplete. We could use some deep attempts instead of Miller up the middle. In fact, Miller up the middle becomes a bigger threat if we're throwing deep occasionally.

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm rooting for Watson to air it out like last year. Nothing more. I want nothing more than to see him succeed. I am not a bandwagon fan, and will never choose another team over ours. I just think we should mix it up more and not be so predictable with play calling. A deep threat is a good thing. I can still appreciate how great Mahomes, Brees, and others are doing this year too, but will never choose their team over ours. I just enjoy watching them.

13. Svpernaut

You mean like last year, when he averaged 242 yards per game? Meanwhile, in 2018 he's averaging 265 yards per game.

You mean like last year, when he had a 61.8% completion rate? Meanwhile in 2018 he has a 64.9% completion rate?

You mean like last year, when he averaged 8.3 yards per completion? Meanwhile in 2018 he's averaging 8.4 yards per completion.

You mean like last year when he had a 3.9% INT rate? Meanwhile in 2018 he has a 2.5% INT rate.

You mean like last year when he was 3-3? Meanwhile in 2018 he's 6-3.

You mean like in the first three games, when he had 3 INTs, a fumble and averaged 300 yards passing but they they were 0-3? Meanwhile he's had a 12:4 TD to INT ratio while they've won six in a row.

To say the least, your reasoning is very, very flawed.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Whoa.. Props to Shine for progressing despite good/great coaching.

He's the franchise's salvation.

Svpernaut and Rodman23 like this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Oh sorry, I didn't watch him last year. I just assumed he must have done better the way people raved so much about him on here. I didn't know he was worse last year, so excuse my ignorance. I didn't watch the NFL last year, for the first time ever, but only because I hated the protesting.

16. Hey Now!

I will again post/remind you that they are literally one game removed from Watson, Hopkins and Fuller putting on an aerial display against the Dolphins.

17. Hey Now!

They do, actually, go deep. Again, Watson is averaging more air yards than Mahomes. But deep passes are trickier when a) your best deep threat is hurt; b) your offensive line is, when healthy, not very good. And it's currently not healthy

Their priority - maybe neck-and-neck with winning - is keeping Watson healthy.

Svpernaut likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It might happen sure. My whole point is that not everyone has KC's stars, or great offensive lines. A good coach can mix it up, use their tight ends, and other receivers. If we only have one receiver in Hopkins that can catch a ball, then our GM and coach should be fired. What was all the hooplah about getting Thomas from Denver? Are you saying we can't use him, our tight ends, our running backs, and other receivers on our team as targets? Mixing it up will open up Hopkins. Targeting only Hopkins is the kind of ball you would never see on a good team with a good quarterback. I give up trying to make my point. Obviously many think we can't win unless we keep playing conservative. I say we wont keep winning doing that against better teams. Maybe I am wrong. Just tired of it.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

She must think Madden is real life. Just throw fly patterns every single play

Hey Now! likes this.
  20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Mahomes plays with sum studs at the skill position that can’t be debated.

Kareem hunt is a TD monster.

Kelcey is the best TE in football

Hill is dynamic. I don’t think he’s the best WR but he’s def in consideration for one of the 4 all pro spots.

All three are pro bowlers at the least.

I don’t think Mahomes is doing anything Watson wouldn’t be doing in KC tbh...... except those cross body 30 yard strikes. Not gonna lie iv never seen a QB do that consistently like he does. That’s a special trait.

Him and Watson are pretty dam equal all things considered.

I mean we’re arguing about 2 guys with 16 or less starts both going to the playoffs unless something crazy happens. Both with qbr over 100 both going to pass for over 4000 yards and 30+ Tds both competing 65% of their passes.

Their both studs.

If BOB will expand the play calling I actually like Houston more in the playoffs when the game slows down. Texans Defense is light years better than KC.

Mahomes is not going to be able to run up the scores on the elite teams in the afc. It’s to hard nobody does it. Defense always travels in the playoffs.

Kareem hunt will be huge for their chances come January.

Svpernaut likes this.