1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheap Smartphone recommendation.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jan 22, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Looking for a replacement smartphone, I currently have a ZTE max, it does everything I need but it is definitley slow and lags a lot and its pretty plain.

I like the infinity screens and would like a square phone.

I like the Note 10 but would never spend that much on a phone so maybe the 9 if I can get a good deal, would spend up to 250 and would preferably like it unlocked but will switch carriers.

Will do refurbished and not a fan of I phones.

Sony has a square phone also that I like.

KingCheetah and ramotadab like this.
  2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

It's going to be hard to find a Note 9 for under $250.

The best value phone IMO is a used LG G8 bought off ebay. LG phones depreciate like a rock and the G8 is no exception. You can get one between $200 and $300 depending on variant and what condition is acceptation to you. Just be careful of getting an unlocked Sprint version if you use GSM carriers. It may not have the right bands.

If you want something a bit cheaper. An LG G7 or V40 will only set you back $100-$150 for last year's flagships.

3. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

You can get last year's Android flagships with Snapdragon 855 chipsetf around $300-$400 on swappa.

If you only want to spend $250 get a phone with a Snapdragon 650 series or 700 series chipset.

An older phone with a more powerful chipset is better than a newer phone with a weaker chipset hands down.

Snapdragon 865 is gonna be released in a few months and all of last year's flagships will get even cheaper.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I really like the lenovo motorola phones. Seem pretty cheap. Motorola One Zoom looks like $350 new on their site right now.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thanks a lot I am looking at he Note 8 or S8.

Also the Redmi note 8 and Huwaie Y9.

Will take a look at the ones you mentioned.

6. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

A used Pixel 3A XL should also be in your budget. It'll give you phenomenal battery life and photos.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Ah yes, I would second this as well. I ended up getting my wife the normal Pixel 3, but the 3A has great reviews.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pixel 3A is a great phone and has an amazing camera.

That said, check out Redmi K20 Pro, no notch, top tier processor, pop up camera. This is flagship features, but at a price point that is above your $250-$300 range. It's $400.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not worried about processing speed or photos don't play games and seldom take pics.

This is mainly about looks, I like the galaxy phones.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

If you're willing to do eBay and go with a good seller $250 to $300 (sometimes less) for a note 9, others to consider would be the Pixel 3a XL. Some are used but unlocked and others are refurbished, I'm still on the note 9 though and really like it.

If not considering the refurb/used route, the 8 is okay, but I think the Note 9 at this point would be the better investment (ie not quite 2 years yet)

Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have seen some for that price on Amazon but I need to talk myself into it.

What do you know about the Chinese brands, they have some great prices.

Do you use a case with your phone.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This. Year old refurbs are like cars in the % it depreciates.

Brand definitely matters because of reliability after 3 years. I wouldn't trust a Chinese phone because of that.

Nook, jiggyfly and CCity Zero like this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I use a wallet type case for the Note 9, it's honestly been great, it's saved my phone a few times and protects the screen (since it covers the screen when it's closed etc). I still have a regular wallet and only use this for my license, but liked this because the leather padding has definitely saved my screen multiple times. I didn't really want a true screen protector and normally I never bothered with cases since I can repair phones, but on these newer ones it's seriously not worth the headache trying to remove the glue and cure it correctly (using uv glue etc.). I went with a bit more expensive one that's real leather but it's probably been the best case I've used (with the limited amount of cases I've owned).

As for the other brands I've personally only used iPhone (very early/original releases), samsungs (since S3), and then a Google/Nexus sometimes. I personally love the Note for the times I do need a stylus (like taking pictures of more complicated car teardowns - like the transmission and then adding notes to them/quick diagrams), and I especially like the larger screen. Google phones definitely take better pictures but I've been happy with the Note phones, especially since their TouchWiz interface isn't straight garbage any longer.

I haven't personally used the other brands, I've heard decent things about the 1 plus phones but not enough to recommend them over others

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I have a mint iPhone 7 plus if you want to buy? It's in perfect condition

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm not sure that the Redmi or Huawei phones will work properly as far as what LTE bands they can work on here in the US. I know that the Huawei phones have been banned from the Google Play Store so you cannot run Google Android Apps. Plus I'd be very suspicious of Chinese phones given their government's penchant for surveillance. I'd suggest a Motorola One or a Nokia. Both should be on the Android One program which means they'll get security and Android updates for 3 years. Whatever you decide STAY AWAY FROM HTC! They are as close to death as a mobile company can get.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thanks a lot, thats great info on Huawei.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Was looking at note 10 today up close, man that is a sexy phone I have always liked square phones.

I never use cases as well because it takes away from the look of the phone but I think I will do the wallet case.

Will probably get the Note 9 might wait a couple of months and see if the price comes down some more.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am anti Iphone.

Sorry.

CCity Zero likes this.