1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we really going to sign Cp3 to a supermax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenMvp, May 21, 2018.

1. AB423

AB423 Member

Pay the man, if it wasn't for him, today we would be talking about how Harden isn't mentally ready and will always be a choker.

hakeem94 and bmelo like this.
  2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You are wrong if you think CP3 doesn’t make Houston a more attractive destination. LeBron wouldn’t even consider the Rockets if CP3 wasn’t on the team.

And PG13 over CP3? First, CP3 is still as good or better. Second, he’s better for D’Antoni’s system. Third, you don’t screw with the chemistry of a 65 win team two wins away from the NBA finals in the name of a better “long-term” window.

saleem, Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Yes, if we win the championship. He deserves every last bit of the money.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not even a long term window I'm saying within the next 3 years. Cp3 is already showing his age how do you know how much time he has left? He is already breaking down and his performance so far has not been consistent, like I said he is only gonna get worse not better.

Sure Cp3 makes the Rox a more attractive destination but if you pay him the max you won't have enough money to sign another max dude and keep Capela so whats the point?

PG is better because he is younger, period. Next year he will remain the same or get better, Cp3 will only get worse because he is on the decline. Cp3 is clearly not Lebron he is breaking down in front of our eyes there is even a thread about him being injured.

5. DVauthrin

PG13 is not better for this Rockets team next year than Chris Paul. Not in D’Antoni’s system, nor as a leader that Harden respects.

The Rockets get worse if they swap the two. Also, the Rockets window is now. Most of their role players are on the wrong side of 30 too. Capela is really the only young guy in the rotation.

majicdonjuan and everyday eddie like this.
  6. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Can Morey do a poison pill type of deal? like 15,20,40M for the next 3 years? If Lebron indicated he wanted to come of course.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If it goes bad, it goes worse though. I really rather have Jayson Tatum right now.

We can't evaluate him when he is healthy and playing the best basketball.

You got to assess his injuries and his bad games too.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you are a smart GM, you would not do it. I agree it is logical but buiding a dynasty that can win multiple ships like the Warriors, the Heat is a more daunting task.

The Mavs stole a championship but I never considered them perennial contenders. Like ever.
    Dirk is like in No Man's Land now, couple of years after he won it all, he was declining fast.

You give him 2-3 years max, giving him beyond 2 years is a big risk.

I agree that on paper it looks good if you win 1 championship but a great GM wants to win multiple and be in the Finals almost every year.

We are desperate to win One but we should not be desperate all the time for talent!

We should be confident that this great franchise can attract more superstars in the future if you rebuild the right way.

#128 daywalker02, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    nomiz1987 likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well the role players are just that..role players. Since they make role player money if they get too old we can replace them. But if we sign Cp3 and he gets old there's nothing we can do.

I agree the Rox get worse if we take out Cp3 and add PG...for this year. Next year, who knows? A lot of your estimation on Cp3 is assuming he will remain at superstar level next 3 years, I'm really iffy about that.

10. bmelo

bmelo Member

I changed my mind. CP is already declined athletically but... but he still is one of the best. His skills won't decline. He may be up and down in RS following years but in Playoffs alongside James Harden.. Man we will be in the conversation through the whole deal. Just flip Anderson for someone playable

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If CP3 leaves disgruntled, so will Harden. This is something people are overlooking.

Knowing Morey, the deal is: find an offer in the market and we will match it. Simple as that.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think Morey should stay true to his word that he likely gave CP3 and his agent to convince them to opt in and be traded.

The Rockets will want that option with other big time star free agents in the last year of their deal in the future. If they pull a fast one and try to save money, it will be a bad look for the credibility of our front office.

Maybe he doesn’t demand the super max, but either way, you cannot offer him a stingy deal even if it’s what he’s worth at his age and athletic decline. You just better hope you win it all this year or next because the Rockets window will be likely ending next year as CP3 probably has one or two superstar level years left in him and they won’t have any flexibility because of his contract and Hardens.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Any contract you give will be a super value in comparison to andersons. Do it.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It’s no secret the two biggest games of the season that CP3 has stepped up.

Game 5 Utah/Game 4 GSW.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is because Lebron could take virtually any team to the Finals or CFinals ......He can go to any team.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

CP3 should be a very strong reason for Lebron to consider coming to Houston. LBJ will have to adjust more to Harden's presence, and vice versa too. I think it can work.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is a popcorn film. Drama or Championship.

18. DVauthrin

Look, I agree with you that it’s a risk to give CP3 a 4 or 5 year deal. But the Rockets could structure it with one or two team options to protect themselves if he declines.

As for my estimation that PG13 instead of CP3 makes the Rockets worse next year, it’s very simple. Chris Paul is one of the best passers in NBA history and can get his own shot while setting up his teammates. PG13 is only a pure scorer. It’s not his skillset to get the PJ Tucker’s of the world wide open corner threes. And outside of Paul, Harden and Gordon, every other Rocket cannot create their own shot. The Rockets offense would suffer dramatically with PG13 instead of CP3, and not having an elite 2nd facilitator would show.

19. DVauthrin

Not really sure what you are trying to say here, other than LeBron is still the best player in the world. I can guarantee you that LeBron didn’t have Houston on his radar until his good buddy CP3 became a Rocket. Then, the team backed it up with a 65 win season.

LeBron wants to win championships in his quest to be thought of as the greatest player ever. There’s no way he thinks a team with himself and James Harden as the only stars is enough to beat Golden State.

20. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Didn’t read the last 7 pages but... a huge thing for CP3 is the fact that his game is not predicated on athleticism. His decline will not be the same as others due to his bbiq- injury History is the only concern regarding his physical decline