1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are we really going to sign Cp3 to a supermax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenMvp, May 21, 2018.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I’m not a big fan of the idea, he hasn’t done anything he was brought here to do when it counted most. He’s injured sure, which is another reason to be careful. Having two guys who don’t handle the biggest stage well get max dollars is a bit foolish. Now Lebron, you pay the max since he delivers. Let’s see how he does the rest of the play-offs, but I’d say he should take a paycut to keep Mbah and Capela, and Ariza.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is a big dilemma long term.

If he wins that championship with the way he has been playing, he deserves even a Super Max

but if you give him that, there is less chance of getting young, top talent.

3. threepointshot3

He and Harden have become a huge success story. My issue is his age and continues injuries.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

It doesn't matter, it's clear that the Rockets will pay whatever it takes to bring him back. That was already the deal when he came here and everyone knows it even if they won't admit it publicly.

5. BigO

BigO Member

He is going to get what he wants to get. If he wants supermax, i don't see us throwing a fist, if he wants to help us bring some pieces by taking less, we'll gladly do it. Ball is in his hands.

dlite316, ChumpCity, Mazulis and 2 others like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hope we don't, I mean Paul has been decent as the 2nd banana but he is old and will be injury prone in a couple years. As we have seen just Harden and Paul are not enough to get it done so we still need capsoace for other pieces.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Pay the man his money and hope for the best.

8. BigO

BigO Member

Tell me more.

joshuaao, hakeem94 and felixng2012 like this.
  9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

CP3 is worth the money, supermax I don't think he will get it. He is involved in our community and cares about it. I would hope CP3 allows the Rockets match whatever offers he gets, but there is a chance that CP3 wants to play with Lebron in any teams more than CP3 wanting more money from us.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

People talk about the decision the Rockets have to make. But, what about CP3?

If CP3 insists on the max it makes it hard for the Rockets to build a strong team around its two superstars. If CP3 takes significantly less than max, then the Rockets have a chance to build a dynasty. What does CP3 want more, money or rings?

11. hakeemthagreat

IMO, you gotta sign CP3 to the max. Not only is he the type player that'll produce on the court in big games, but he just takes more pressure off of Harden. More importantly he's the guy that creates the right culture in the lockeroom. The type that you want in a front office position when he retires. The Rockets found a gem in CP3. This guy is special on the court and also in the communities of Houston

12. Fantasma Negro

Me personally, I wouldn't give him more than three years 80 mil, he is in serious decline, but I have a feeling Daryl promised him the max to get him to agree to the trade.

roslolian, Mazulis and J.R. like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It took Morey a decade of tinkering to finally build a title worthy team.

But I'm sure we can just tell Paul to go away and have another championship ready team in no time. Lets waste a few more of James Harden's prime years. When you have a title window, you f**king take it, these are nearly impossible to come by in this league. Worry about a few years in a few years.

I think some of you guys are more concerned with staying good than actually trying to win it all. Luckily, our GM isn't satisfied with a participation trophy.

14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Super max.

He’s in love with the city and culture.

ChumpCity likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

We have Capela, Gordon, Tucker and bunch of guys who are better than your average role players, meaning Harden and Cp3 by themselves won't get it done.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

The title can be done as soon as you sign Cp3 to the super max. Even this year he has signs of breaking down. That's the problem you may not have "a few years". Remember the YaoMac era?

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

just opened this thread and see that OP actually typed the words “convince CP3 to take the vet min”

How dumb can u be? Why even bring up stuff that will never happen?

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

i don't think anyone above 31 should get a max contract, unless you're lerbon. but sipithree has been vocal about players getting the most they can get so...

roslolian likes this.
  19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Rockets do not have cap space to go get a player the caliber of Chris Paul, who is still an NBA superstar. He’s also a leader that James Harden respects, which is a major reason the team is having this type of season. Finally, his skillset paired with Harden makes D’Antoni’s offense absolutely lethal.

You don’t worry about 4 years down the road when you have a championship window now. Maximizing that window means keeping CP3. Other great players will line up to play with a team that won 65 games and has two superstars on it, also. Lose CP3, and the Rockets aren’t an attractive FA destination.

everyday eddie and BigO like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not saying 4 years down the road, 4 years down the road his contract will be up. I'm saying as early as next season Cp3's age is catching up to him he hasn't been dominant in the playoffs this year and he will only get worse. The trap here is signing someone to big money only to have the guy fall off remember when the Bulls signed Ben wallace or OKC signed Perkins or even Lakers signed Luol Deng?

Harden is what makes Houston an attractive destination and not Cp3, thats the main reason Cp3 came in the first place. I would give Paul George the max than Cp3 at leadt you have a longer window.

#120 roslolian, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018