1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheap Smartphone recommendation.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jan 22, 2020.

1. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

2. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I vote for any Galaxy, it seems to be very durable. I'm using S6 as I type this and will reading this on IPhone- for real.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I wouldn't trust any galaxy before S8. Those ones came with the bad Samsung skin which slowed down your phone down and made it laggy. They were still working through it on S6 and S7 and it seems they didn't finally figure it out until S8.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'm using an S6, it has been at least 3-4 years and I have no hiccups except for screen problems likely from age. At the same time, I'm not like a lot of people that carry it 24/7. I've only used it for working out (1 hour) and listen to youtube music. I guess any phone would probaly last a long time for me because I've never had a crack screen ever, in any phones.

5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

S9 - $256 with tax

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B07VV9HSGL/ref=olp_twister_all?ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&mv_color_name=all&mv_pattern_name=0&mv_size_name=all&mv_style_name=all&qid=1579989007&sr=8-4

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can you fix the link?

7. Sooty

Click me

Second from the top, it says "Used - Good", majority of the time I've bought stuff directly from Amazon Warehouse it's basically new.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

good to know there are still folks using old, cheap phones

9. Sooty

Google Pixel 3, $253 + tax

Click me

10. SuraGotMadHops

Samsung Galaxy A20. It's basically a "light" version of the S series that retails for only $250. I've been using the precursor to the A20 (the J7) for about 3 years with no issues.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got the 3a XL over Christmas on Google Fi and have enjoyed it. I normally wait to upgrade phones, but I wanted to give my Pixel 2 XL to my mom to replace her old Nexus 6P. The 3a's cost and camera sold me on the phone over the regular 3 XL. So far I have not noticed a difference in performance at all which is good.

I've never used Android outside of the Nexus/Pixel lines, but I continue to read reviews that stock Android is preferable to other versions.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Second the Motorola phones. King of the bargain phones.

I'm using a Nokia 7.1, also a bargain phone. I don't recommend it, it gives me trouble, but it is a pretty looking phone.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good price but I need that infinity screen tho.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is 250-300 dollars a cheap phone?

Its sad to know that people will spend 1000 dollars or more on a phone they will only use 25% of its capability.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have looked at the 7.1 glad you gave a review.

16. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

If you opt for galaxy s8. Make sure you get a rock solid case. Went thru 2 otterbox commuter and both failed to prevent cracks from minor falls. Settled on this one here and it worked best. Ripped out the screen protector film and it worked well

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I have a Galaxy S7 for work and an LG V20 as my personal phone -- I bought the LG primarily for the removable battery and a longer life to get out of the 2 year cycle. There have been some bumps and glitches but the phone generally still works well but it's time for an upgrade. I'd like to get a top of the line phone but at least a year old or two old which would be a huge improvement over the LG but still reasonably priced.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I was swapping phones rapidly previously, but currently on the note 9 (as mentioned before), and I'll probably wait for the note after the next one (so the 12 or whatever assuming the trend continues) or buy the 11 (assuming that's the name) at that time for a big discount... I use mine for a lot of car and tech work (as mentioned so I don't use it for social media really, hahah), family pictures of course... But yeah, Def agree it's getting to the point where the next incremental jump isn't worth paying the premium price.

It's honestly become stagnant and I'm not buying my phone as a status symbol, I used to hack/root phones (even repair them like I mentioned), but honestly the new UI on Samsung, I don't even bother even putting a different launcher (Nova etc).

I will tell you, the reason I got the note 9, was the whole BOGO deal, I got my wife to move to Android and it made sense since it was 2 phones for the 1k, I honestly am passed the point of spending crazy money for small incremental upgrades so I def agree on your route trying to get a 9 or what ever you decide on.

I think you're absolutely right though, average users aren't using close to the potential of their phones, ie if it's not for work or making you money, you probably don't need it. I will say I did like the speed boost for the 9 for working on some of these newer cars (again this is side work but it pays good)

#38 CCity Zero, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member