1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boston Globe: Austin Rivers at peace with how his career has turned out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Mar 9, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dammit, part of me still hates not hating Austin Rivers.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Rivers is an odd player to figure out. So cocky that’s for sure. I’m a Duke alumnus and I disowned him even when he was playing for us, but even I have to admit his hot streak to beat Carolina in the last minute was something else.

On the Rockets he seems like a tailor-made slumpbuster. When no one else on the team can make shots, he nails them. Conversely, when everybody else is hot is his time to go cold. It's like the reverse card in Uno, or any other game where do something that radically shifts the momentum. He's a great piece to have off the bench at this stage of his career, and I hope we can re-sign him this offseason even more-so than Faried. Never thought I'd say that. His trash talking down the court after making a 3 still rankles my soul, but at least I know it hurts the opposing fans worse.

3. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

The dude has mocked Harden (GIF posted by Clutch), been reported to have spats with CP3, kid who grew up to have it all, reported favoritism by his dad, never lived up to the hype from high school, etc.

Many reasons for us to not have liked him when he first came here, and rightfully so.

But the dude is so incredibly well-spoken, appeared at the right time when we needed him most once CP3 was injured, and has fit in seamlessly in our system. Add in the fact that we have this guy at the minimum this year, it's hard to continue to hate him. Glad he's a Rocket.

Relativist and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. alethios

alethios Member

Being on the Rockets is a chance for him to reverse his narrative, from being a throw-away to being a legit contributor on a playoff team. I think he values that more than anything at this point in his career....besides being a father, of course.

5. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Sh** organization... Also highly doubt that he wanted to stay there, despite what he said about not wanting to be waived.

BamBam and roslolian like this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member