1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon vs Klay Thompson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wylo, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Wylo

Wylo Member

[​IMG]

Both are pure scorers and great 3-point shooters, but lack in rebounds and assists.

Both are probably better defenders than the numbers suggest, but in terms of total defensive impact both players are far from huge contributing factor (reputation wise, Eric is probably more underrated and Klay overrated.)

Klay score 4.5 points more per game, but shoots 4 times more and plays about 3 minutes more per game.

In terms of efficiency, Eric has been a better 3-point shooter and more efficient scorer in general, as indicated by TS%. Also, both players have about the same PER, which are slightly above league average.

When on court, it seems like Eric is more of a positive force than Klay is, as indicated by WS, WS/48, RPM, etc.

Overall, I still think Klay is a slightly better player, not because Klay has greater impact on the game, but merely by virtue of durability (we all know Eric's injury history.) But when healthy, I would argue both players are about the same tier, and considering Harden is having a better season than Curry so far, Harden-Gordon pairing is actually not too shabby compared to the Splash Brothers.

And GSW won 73 games last season on the backs of these guys, with additional help from Draymond and other quality role players. And the thing is, we do have very good, quality role players. Of course, I don't expect this team to win as many games as 15-16 GSW, but if we could manage to avoid major injury, I'd say we have a good chance of winning close to 60 games.

#1 Wylo, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Gordon

But maybe I should say Klay, so we can continue saying Curry has 3 teammates better than any of Harden's teammates.

3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

@daywalker02 won't like this comparison. Klay Thompson is like better than Harden, remember that.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

daywalker02's Harden vs Klay thread is going to lose traction to this one. lovin' it.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Klay only because he can get crazy hot.

6. trilliamz

trilliamz Member

Add in off the bench for Gordon too.

7. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Points for EGO/Against Klay:
    In his Clippers days, was considered to become one of the top SG in the league. With the lack of SG depth back then, he was being touted as a top 3 SG behind Kobe and Wade. Who isn't to say that the only thing holding him back were the injuries? Now he's healthy. So if he is realizing the potential from so many years ago, he could be better than Klay.

Points for Klay/Against EGO:
    MDA simply makes his shooters look better. Sure EGO and Klay's numbers aren't far from each other, but put Klay on our team, and he will average 25 ppg in the MDA system with improved efficiency. Also, his numbers are down because Durant has taken touches from him. Compare Klay's numbers last year, to EGO now for a fairer comparison. What would EGO's numbers be like playing next to Durant and Steph? Anywhere near as good as now?

FanSince93 likes this.
  8. HTM

HTM Member

Seems like Gordon is a better creator for his teammates driving the lane and dishing.... from Klay it seems like he just stands still and shoots.... so Gordon is more valuable because he creates and is somewhat of a point guard with the second unit.

I think Thompson scored like 60 the other week and he only dribbled a few times? It's an extreme luxury to play on a team that gives you those opportunities. I don't think he would do as well having to be a creator and "the" guy.

#8 HTM, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Nivos, Dgn1, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  9. dream2franchise

I'm just glad the nonsense that is, and always was Klay v Harden is over. It was never a discussion.

Also, the statistical pile of nothingness that is Klay Thompson outside of his scoring is incredible. Has this ever been seen from an All-Star?

D-rock likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dumb argument, and one I see the talking heads on ESPN make a lot. The performance of EVERY player in the league is a combination of that player's skills, the system in which he plays, and the teammates who surround him. That especially applies equally to Klay Thompson, who plays in a similar system under a coach (Kerr) who learned it from the guy who invented it (MDA). If we played at a faster pace than the Warriors, you could argue that the pace inflates Gordon's statistics, but we don't. Simply, Kerr makes his shooters look just as good as D'Antoni does.

People can argue about Thompson being a more talented player than Gordon (I'm not so sure about that), but it's really futile to try to claim that his performance this season has been better. The stats just don't bear it out.

11. jogo

jogo Member

For me it comes down to: Would you trade one for the other?

Would I trade EGO for Klay? Yes. He's a year younger, better defender, better career 3 point shooter.

Would GSW trade Klay for EGO? No.

Would the Rockets trade EGO for Klay? I think yes.

Don't get me wrong, they are similar players and they seem to do the same things well. But Klay is better IMHO (and less injury prone).

12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

He can also go crazy cold.

D-rock and topfive like this.
  13. Wylo

Wylo Member

Well, the Warriors system also makes their shooters look better too. And yes, Klay is capable of putting up 25 PPG, but his efficiency will definitely drop, because he's not the kind of a player who can create scoring chances by himself. He has to play in a system where his teammates constantly set good screens and move the ball around with multiple capable passers on the court, and not every team has that system. Playing with Durant & Curry shouldn't be considered a minus, if anything it should mean Klay is reaping benefits of various opportunities that result from opponent's defense more focused on stopping Durant & Curry.

For example, Harrison Barnes is averaging more PPG as a Maverick this season, but his efficiency has declined quite a bit. This inverse relationship between volume and efficiency is a well known fact, and there is no reason to assume this law wouldn't apply to Klay if he chooses to play for an another team.

Absolutely, absolutely yes.

topfive likes this.
  14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Gordon is playing better this year. Klay is awful this year. But on the whole, Klay has been a better defender and more consistent scorer. But I'm glad Gordon is on our side for a while. Kudos, Morey.

15. Rockets4Life13

THIS.
    Everybody says MDA inflates stats. What? I mean are 20 ppg less impressive under MDA ? Because of what? Blowing enemy teams out? Doesn't make any sense and is really annoying.
    I would btw even argue that gordon is far more talented than klay. If not for the injuries, im sure he would be the guy right next to harden in the discussion "who is the best SG in the league".
    He has a better handle and i also saw some very good dishes in the last game against the mavs. You could argue that klay can get extremely hot - well so can gordon - maybe not that hot, but still.

heypartner, Dgn1, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  16. joomba

joomba Member

Now this is a fair comparison, and the numbers do look extremely similar.

The whole Harden vs Klay thing was just ridiculous, when Harden vs Westbrook comparison would have been far more appropriate.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

GSW plays the MDA system too. Where do you think their coach got it? When he was with Suns, certainly not from his days with Bulls.

18. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Biggest difference: Gordon's handle is way better than Klay's! He can be a legit play maker. Klay cannot.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Or as some Clutchfans say (see the 1000 page Klay vs Harden thread): "Golden State has 3 players as good as / better than James Harden."

This offseason I was telling people that Gordon was at one point a top-flight prospect and could've been in the conversation for best 2 guards in the league. At that point, I didn't really believe it myself, I just liked the shiny potential we got with that signing. Man has he been a revelation. Having two fronts of attack is how we were able to punch GSW in the mouth with their own game.

Dgn1 likes this.
  20. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Those minutes though, he's in the perfect role right now. Everyone including me had forgotten how talented Gordon is, he has more combined talent that Klay. Yes, I'm serious.

Houstunna and DonKnock like this.