1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Primerica

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just wondering, but does anyone have any experience with this company, either as a consumer or an employee?

Thanks.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a friend who works for them. They are also handling the retirment investments for my wife's company. They were getting no returns from their former company(can't remember who it is) and since they switched the returns have been much better.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i used to be an agent with Primerica. If you don't do business with them, at least listen to what they have to say about life insurance. Buying Term Insurance instead of Whole Life is one of the best decisions you will ever make.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I forgot that. My wife and I both have really good policies with them.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'm in the Life and Health Insurance business. In general, I'd say you can find better Term Life Insurance products-- underwriting issues aside.

Their agents are "captive" meaning they can write for Primerica and no one else. They approached me a few years ago and would have had me terminate all my other company appointments to join their team. Perhaps this policy has changed... I doubt it though.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks, guys.

I have an opportunity to become an agent for them, but it's not feeling right, so I don't think I'm going to do it.

7. moomoo

moomoo Member

Several years ago, I purchased a "distributorship"from Primerica and, I guess I became an agent. My roommate convinced (pressured) me into it and I bit.

Only later on did I start to become more familiar with Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) companies, which is what Primerica was at the time, don't know if that's still the case.

I've come to the conclusion that all MLM's are quasi-legal pyramid scams, until someone can convince me otherwise.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's exactly the feeling I get. Not gonna do it.

Thanks again, guys.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

there's quite a difference b/t pyramid schemes and MLMs, but I'd rather not going into detail about it. as for Rocketman95, if you don't do business with them, i recommend you to at least listen to what they have to say about life insurance (well, i'm assuming that's the reason you looked into them in the first place). i USED to be an agent so it's not like i'm trying to sell their product to you. i just think it's well worth your time.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm definitely going to, but that's not how I came into contact with them. My resume's posted at a certain job seeker (won't say which one since some posters like to look up info on me) and one of the RVPs gave me a call. I didn't like how they left some of the stuff out at the original interview, so I'm not too excited about starting a job there.

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Rocketman95-
    Do a google search on them. I know a friend a mine got approached by them and we did some research and lots of people have bad things to say about them (their are websites that talks about some of their practices).

One of my clients are in the same office they are in and they are recruiting heavily (not sure if that is anything new but they just moved into the building). They have "recruits" come in on Saturdays and a couple evenings a week. Like you mentioned there are rumors they pull up resumes on Monster.com and call to get people to come to their sessions.

So I would be leery, but it apparently works for some people.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

4chuckie,

Yeah, that's the first thing I did. I didn't see too many complaints, but I did see some.

Funny that you should appear in this thread as I think I've decided to go back to school to do what you do. :)

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Well you can never go too wrong with additional certifications. Helps you get your foot in the door and the job market should be outstanding since the 150 hour rule has come into play.

One bit of advice - Spend alot of time prepping for the exam. I know too many people who spent what they thought was sufficient time preparing for it, fail all 4 parts and are too frustrated to do it all over again. Good luck to you!

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks man. I'm gonna go get a second degree in accounting first, then obviously take the exam. I should finish in December of next year.

15. moomoo

moomoo Member

Oh well, here goes nothin'.

GERONIMO!!!!

http://www.falseprofits.com/MLM Lies.html

More on MLM's here:
    http://www.themlmfile.com/

And plenty more on Google. Just search for 'MLM,' or 'MLM Statistics.'

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

You don't strike me as the accounting type.

If you start coming on here telling FIFO jokes, there will be hell to pay.

17. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

There are FIFO jokes?........ ah.................. at least it's not LIFO

18. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

They aren't funny or anything.

One of my accounting professors (my first degree was in accounting) liked to tell bad jokes at the beginning of every class. Many of them were accounting-related.

19. moomoo

moomoo Member

RM95,

Apparently your recent experience with Primerica is not uncommon.

A Google search on Primerica MLM uncovers this thread:

http://sastools.com/b2/post/79393875

(first post in the thread):
    (and further down)

20. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

I had an ex co-worker once call me up with "an exciting new job oppurtunity" I asked him what the job was, and he said "It's just too exciting to tell you over the phone." Me being an idiot, I said "sure, come on by my place tonight"

Later that night, he came by with a briefcase, an easel, and a huge roll of posterboards. I asked him "what kind of job is this?" Then the Primerica pitch started. My wife almost kicked his a$$.

Primerica is a total waste of time, unless you are a sleazy door to door sales type