1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Primerica...heard of it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GraingerGuy, Mar 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Hey...I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with this company? I did a bit of research online and it looks like a sort of pyramid scam type thing....but there are also sites that say it's a legit company.

Thought? Insults? Random musings?

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's a legitimate company but they are a multi level marketing one also, i.e. "pyramid scheme".

here's my experience: i joined with back in 2000 along with couple of friends. only two of us passed the license test, including myself. the other dropped out within a few months b/c he never passed. anyhow, i was there for a couple years, made some sales, recovered all the money i had put in and made some more. i was never able to recruit much.

however, the other guy who passed the test, was a machine. that guy got promoted over and over and was gung ho from the beginning. now nine years later, he's what they call a regional vice president and has established a big network. he had definitely made it. but he's like the 5-10% who will actually do anything with something like this.

the company isn't a scam really. they serve their clients well. they just have a bad reputation b/c they have to recruit.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Primerica is at the heart of the economic mess we're in when it comes to deregulation. Its a comglomerate of Insurance, banking, and investing services under the citi Umbrella.

it was formed by citi after banking deregulation, they used to hit the college campuses hard recruiting in the late nineties when it was first formed. I guess if you mean pyramid like amway, its a bit like that also.

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Oh crap now it rings a bell. My friend told me he was going to a recruiting meeting after class so I decide 'why not?' It ended up being Primerica, and they spent 20 minutes talking about how much money you could/would make. Not a single mention about what the job entailed or what they were looking for in candidates. I walked out...maybe they got to the point, I didn't care.

That's just my experience, and that was a few years ago, so take that fwiw.

5. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

not to be too nosy, but do you still sale securities?

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I did the same thing as the Professor. I got suckered into one of the meetings. I left though, when they started passing around the forms.

I had an exam the next day anyways.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What's that? One nation under Seinfeld?

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i never sold securities. i never took the securities test. all i had was my insurance license. all the business i took in was life insurance sales.

10. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

http://kramerica.tv/

11. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Some old guy at Wal-Mart approached me the other day, trying to recruit me. He called me like 3 times until he finally realized I wasnt interested.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I actually stayed for one their whole session, i was fresh out of college. drove all the way to clear lake from the northside. must have been free food.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I used to have a Primerica account that was setup by my Grandma, originally under a Van Kampen before Citi took it over through Primerica. Then they moved my money into a mutual fund whose largest holding was Citi. Primerica reps received money for getting investors to invest back into Citi. When I tried to get my account transferred to Edward Jones, Primerica would have none of it. They just keep asking me to provide them with more and more information. My Edward Jones broker said its the only company that he has dealt with that does that. I ended up cashing out the account and getting taxed on my gain and then buying a new investment at Edward Jones.

Stay far away from Primerica.