1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pops Mensah-Bonsu to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaronMalakian, Jan 5, 2009.

1. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

Just a rumor from a spanish newspaper. Spanish club 'CAI Zaragoza' is interested in the player since his past club (Joventut Badalona) and him rescinded the contract. But sources say that he maybe is going to the NBA, specifically Houston Rockets.

Link

Also I heard it from the radio this mourning.

The source (Heraldo) is usually a reliable source, rumors from Heraldo are the most respected along the newspapers in Zaragoza. But this time the rumor is hard to believe. We have aleady 3 PFs in Scola, Landry and Hayes and I don't know if this could give us something different. At least he's 6-9/6-10. Maybe a trade coming involving a PF??

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Big effort guy. Loved him coming out of college. Always root for the underdog-- unless they are playing your favorite team!

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

After Francis trade and Mutombo signing, Rockets still have something like $1.3 million below the tax limit, and a free roster spot. I am thinking this is a maneuver to fill up that spot, and see what this guy can do. May be a 10-day contract, so that they can try someone else if this one doesn't work out.

4. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

No way he signs a 10-day contract in the NBA if he can get a guaranteed contract in Spain.

5. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

I forgot the best part. Its said that the player left Joventut Badalona due to disagreements over the recovery of an injury on his right shoulder.

Club wanted the operation to health the injury, with its consequent months of rehabilitation, but the player stated could be health with rest and a physiotherapeutic plan (like that, not missing the European championship that he wanted to play to find an NBA contract).

Sources also say he din't fit very well on the team plan, and maybe thats the main reason for his departure.

¿?

6. worzel gummidge

I've only seen him play in Summer League. I think he was one of the reasons why Landry had an ordinary SL.

If they pick him maybe it's as an audition as Deke's replacement for 2009-10? They lock him up to a 2yr non-guaranteed deal like the ones they gave Mike Harris and Loren Woods last season?

Even if he doesn't play C for the Rockets his combination of shotblocking and athleticism isn't something the Rockets have at PF. If he catches on it could be bad news for Dorsey's future as a Rocket.

7. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

I saw him too in SL in that Dallas team along with Brandon Bass. Similar players. I don't know about his defense at NBA level. Offensively he's between Landry and Bass. Anyway, sick athlete.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

of course, why dont the rockets just pick up jay williams if they want another injured player

9. worzel gummidge

http://thehoop.blogspot.com/search?q=bonsu

10. ced

ced Contributing Member

He will be here. ;)

The questions is who will not :eek:

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

hmm...

12. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

112 posts, this somebody else with insider information?

13. worzel gummidge

Rockets have an open roster spot and might be around $484,926 under LT. So they can afford to sign Pops to a pro-rated minimum contract without moving anyone?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he does come here, then maybe a trade is in the works for Hayes, Landry or Scola.

DD

15. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just what we need.... an NBA reject coming to save the day..

Reminds me of the scene in Major League, where the batter, Haywood from the Yankees, asks Jake Taylor

Haywood ~ "Taylor, what are you doing back up here?"

Taylor ~ "Ahh, I couldn't cut it in the Mexican League."

16. AXG

AXG Member

Good enough for me.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

if so...hopefully it's Hayes. I like the scolandry duo.

18. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Finally, another British forward to fill the void left by manboobs

19. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

i don't understand why, if we still have a roster spot open, we don't take another look at Barrera (first name = Gustavo?) from the summer leagues. homeboy was a hoss for us. he's a legit PG, and a much better handler than luther head.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Does Adelman speak British, or will they need an interpeter?

DD