1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Immigration Crisis in Europe - what should be done?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 3, 2015.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Kudos to Germany. Saudi UAE Qatar etc can EAD

2. malakas

malakas Member

Don't be surprised if in the next days you hear of serious riots and police arrests in Greece. Right now there are an incredible amount of immigrants stranded on some islands and can't get out.
    Hopefully now that Germany has opened their borders they can pass straight to Bulgaria from Turkey and no through the sea.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Which island are you on? I'm in Crete right now. Spinalonga is uninhabited. Could probably host quite a few people.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Now that winter is coming, I'm wondering how the refugee camp situation will play out.

I guess when you got no choice, you got no choice

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Anybody who expects KSA or UAE or Kuwait or Qatar to take Syrian refugees is utterly clueless as to how those countries operate.

1 person likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

ISIS has actually been funded out of these countries.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UTIt's been predicted for a while that 21 century resource shortages and resultant wars combined with relative ease of transit will equal an explosion of refugees.

This is just a small taste of what's coming down the line.

I'm guessing that in 15-20 years, Europe (and a bunch of other places) is going to be much less welcoming.

#67 Ottomaton, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Many Germans have a sour taste from unassimilated Turkish immigrants. Maybe they'll use those lessons learned to try to accelerate assimilation. Big hope.

A flashpoint is likely, but many western countries need immigrants to stem population decline, so this may be out of necessity in future years despite the cultural upheaval.

I think laws have to change for this to happen, but I'm one who thinks assimilation should be actively encouraged by the host country.

1 person likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I agree.

1 person likes this.
  10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ATW, I have a family member who moved to Germany after marrying a German man and is in the process of taking (I believe) state-funded language courses as part of her assimilation. Is this common? Are there plans to put some of these migrants through similar programs to avoid sequestering them in immigrant communities isolated from German society?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Well it's telling that millions of Muslims in the Middle East have to trek all the way to Europe find safety when all these particular ME countries have huge bankrolls and the ability to take in these people.

12. Buck Turgidson

The global, or even regional, outlook of the Gulf States is sadly totally ****ed up.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I feel like these refugees would be forced into slave labour in these Wealthier Middle Eastern countries

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes. Understanding/speaking the language of the country one is in seems to be a prerequisite to me to become a functioning member of society and to have opportunities in it. I don't think it's force on people, it's offered as an opportunity. Many Turkish immigrants (especially the wives) didn't take that opportunity.

It will be a huge challenge to integrate that many people, and whether it will succeed depends largely on the willingness to take advantage of the opportunities offered. A significant percentage of those coming to Germany now are illiterates, so that will not make it easier.

A friend of mine is working on integrating immigrants personally, by going running with two of them every day, and teaching them the language, just as a volunteer.

15. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

We should be taking as many as possible.

Unfortunately, our current immigration policy is an embarassment, and I always feel the need to apologise for the cold hearted b*stard leaders of this country.

16. Nook

Nook Member

What do you make of the large number of asylum seekers converting to Christianity and atheism? I know it can help get asylum but supposedly Syrians are also leaving Islam at a rate higher than was expected.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Haven't heard about this. But if your family was slaughtered in the name of Islam, I find it logical to question whether you still want to be part of that club...

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

SaudI Arabia maybe the only country that stood by the Syrians people who were crushed by Iran,Russia and shiea' militants .

19. Faust

Faust Member

I think overpopulation and globalization has played the biggest part here. Also I think European countries like UK and France are setting themselves up to fail. Are there enough jobs for the next 50 years, enough welfare benefits, enough housing that doesn't have crime and poverty, enough people to teach the language and customs very well, and a promise to accept the culturel values of the host country?

This is like my neighbor's kid taking so many stray cats without having the time, energy, and money to care for them all. It's cruel to the kittens to give them false hope.

Taking in so many immigrants and refugees will be very expensive. Better to save that money by doing a proper invasion and nation building of Syria and Iraq and other African countries. Europe is too afraid of fcking it up like America, but the countries where people are migrating from need to be improved.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member