1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson DUI Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Aug 20, 2015.

1. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Based on this I'll guess 3-5 games for two offenses, just don't see how they can justify any more than that.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This list also clearly indicates Adam Silver has a different standard than David Stern.

PJ Tucker has no previous record of DUI or troubles with law enforcement and still got a 3 games suspension.

4. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Ha, when I was in college I worked valeting cars for a while and did a prom party at a hotel. One of the cars I had to retrieve had a blow machine in it so to start the car I had to blow to get it started. High schooler with an alcohol monitor, nice. By the way, he was sober when he got in the car.

5. PJ86

PJ86 Member

JB Bickerstaff, which one?? :grin:

6. bmd

bmd Member

Well, PJ Tucker was in trouble for a "Super Extreme DUI".

Tucker was sentenced to three days in jail and 11 days' home detention following his plea last week.

"Super extreme" DUI under Arizona law is for persons whose blood alcohol level exceeds .20 percent. Police say that just after his May 10 arrest in Scottsdale, Tucker had a blood alcohol level of .222. The legal limit in Arizona is .08.

So that may be why he got an extra game...

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

DWI #3. I had to serve 30 days in jail , mandatory in patient rehab , license suspended for two years , multiple mandatory substance abuse courses and 5 years probation .... I consider myself very fortunate with that result as the judge could have sent me to jail for up to 10 years.

I got my first in 1984 , second in 2000 and last in October of 2013.

I can definitely relate to everything Lawson is going thru now .... It can destroy your life. It has really complicated mine in more ways than I can count.
    That in home monitor was a nightmare , having to blow at specific times throughout the day (3-5am , 5-7pm & 10pm-12am) scheduling your entire day around that thing 7 days a week. If you miss they can lock you up & the thing sends information instantly to the authorities via satellite.

Which is why I have totally given up drinking. October 29th will be two years since I've had a drink. I have no intention nor desire to resume consumption of alcohol. It just isn't worth it. Wish I had gone thru that rehab after the first one ....

DWI #2 .... I had TWO beers. Rather than fight the case , on the advice of an attorney I chose to take a slap on the wrist plea and get it behind me , in hindsight that was a huge mistake as it made the 3rd one a felony.
    I refused to blow .... and probably should have , at 6'3" 235 two beers wouldn't have put me even close to the limit of 0.08.

Live and learn ....

An interesting side note for those of you that are 420 friendly.

If you are pulled over - BLOW. If you refuse and they take blood (They Will) and you smoked a day or week before , its still in your system and they will convict you based upon that. I saw several people in that exact situation while in rehab.

1 person likes this.
  8. Remlap

Remlap Member

Have to disagree. Lawson is a top 10 PG.
    How many ahead of him are out there for the picking?

I think he's gonna be dynamite running our point. Quick as a cat, great penetrator and assist guy.
    Watch the highlight vid and see what we are getting. The HL vid I saw was
    him putting up 30 on GS. Not a slouchy opponent, but also playing with a ho-hum team.
    Pair him with other weapons and lookout!
    Can't wait for the season to start

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Very serious stuff. People's lives are forever changed/cursed in most cases because of alcohol related driving.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

lawson has had 2 dwi's where he hasnt gotten games right?

so will he 4-6 games or something??

11. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

I just hope when hes back to himself and hes at the practices, some fan doesnt say something stupid like "Hey Ty, you look like you needs a drink"...

12. theREALDEALkid

He's paid his debt to Society in my Opinion. Shoukd be no further action taken by the NBA, and if anything 1 Game at Most.

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm a binge drinker and an alcoholic and I don't drink anymore. Kudos to you for quitting. I know it isn't easy.

Every lawyer I've ever known has always told me whether you've had anything to drink or not, never never never never blow. I never heard the 420 angle though, even though probably most of my lawyer friends are 420-friendly. That's an interesting wrinkle.

I don't mean to chastise you as you've done the right thing and quit and I expect you know this yourself, but DUI's didn't ruin your life as you said. If anything, they saved it. Killing someone with your car would have ruined your life. And you can be the best drunk driver in the world and still kill someone with your car. But I'm pretty sure you get that. I am everlastingly grateful that my many incidences of driving drunk when I was young and dumb(er) only ever cost me damage to my cars and a night in jail. Because I took countless lives in my drunken hands on countless occasions and really I should be in prison for that.

I'm not sure everybody gets the fact that Lawson doesn't just need to stop driving drunk; he needs to stop drinking. Forever. For someone that finds all his fun in drinking and is in his 20's and impossibly wealthy, I do not envy him having to give up a thing that is probably his favorite thing and forever.

Hopefully basketball can be his new favorite thing and it can help him to locate meaning in his life outside of partying. Because the party is over for him. And I'm not just talking about court orders. If a guy like Ty Lawson tastes alcohol he is taking a massive risk with his life, the lives around him, his career, and our team. Dude is an alcoholic. Alcoholics cannot drink responsibly. That is what makes us alcoholics.

And it is not easy to quit, especially at that age with that kind of money. He's going to want to celebrate once in a while and up to now, in his life, that has included alcohol. It doesn't anymore. It can't. I'm really, really rooting for him. It will not be easy.

1 person likes this.
  14. Chamillionaire

If there ever was a place for him to quit, this is a great opportunity. He's got James here, James can help look out for him. There's John Lucas too. If Ty gets his personal life sorted out, it'll reflect on the court. He can focus his energy from partying to something worthwhile. Winning a chip.

1 person likes this.
  15. RESINator

RESINator Member

Any history with a repeat offender of what the consequences have been?

16. Batman Jones

I hope so too but I'm a little more wait-and-see as to whether Harden will be a good influence. He loves the game but he loves his drinks too. I'm encouraged that he'll be working with Lucas and I'm going to be optimistic until there's a reason not to. I know he can beat this and he has great motivation to do so -- which most alcoholics don't have at all -- so I am hopeful. I just happen to have personal experience with just what a profound effect it has on an alcoholic's life (if Lawson is one - I'm presuming and I shouldn't) to take away alcohol forever. It is as life-changing as anything one could imagine. And it is a challenge. I think he's up to it but I don't know him so what do I know. I certainly hope he's up for it. Many ex-drinker/alcoholics I know miss drinking but it is even more true that most of them are glad that they quit and have seen their lives drastically improve as a result. That's what I want for Ty and for The Rockets and I think he can do it. I hope he can.

1 person likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Honestly, I want Lawson back too, as much as anybody, but I want him to take care of HIMSELF first, get himself right.

If he needs time during the season to do it, then fine by me, let's get him right for his own good before we get him on the floor for our team.

DD

18. Batman Jones

Playing the game, doing something that matters to him and to so many other people, would be a healthy part of his recovery I think. The stress isn't great but basketball has the power to provide meaning in his life, to do something that counts. I can't imagine a healthier thing for him to be doing than practicing and playing.

19. omgTHEpotential

Jonas Valanciunas was arrested for DUI but hasn't been suspended. I guess because charges were dropped later on.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ty's cases are still not resolved. At this point he is still innocent wrt the Union.

We've been saying for quite awhile that nothing will happen until his case is done.

It's not when he is charged, but when he pleas.