1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Aug 15, 2015.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hey OP, I'm the guy who sent you that message. It's completely legit.

PS. I also need your credit card number and social security number.

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

Should I ask him if he can pay me in Yayo or Bitcoin?

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bro what's it like to live in Germany???? Is it cool?!? I bet it's cool.

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Dude yay for sure. Only ask for Bitcoin if he can throw in a sweet wallet

5. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

This thread has potential.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Only take a wire. Of course it's a scam so they won't send a wire.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Like I said before I have little to no experience with pay pal and did not understand what mechanisms or avenues someone would have to scam someone through pay pal. I knew something was wrong when the dude was willing to purchase the car without even physically looking at it or driving it.

Now if there are anymore fishy requests I would have a sneaking suspicion that someone from Clutchfans is the culprit because I made the mistake of posting the listing here:grin:.

I might need to drop the price a bit since I haven't received any inquiries in the past couple of days. Any posters here think my listing price is fair with the mileage and bent rim?

8. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Just do it and don't send the refund of overpayment.

9. fchowd0311

The problem is that the owner of the compromised account would request his or her funds to be returned(rightfully so).

10. papadrunk

papadrunk Member

^^^ This - ask for a wire transfer.

If you find a buyer who you feel comfortable with and they're unwilling to wire you the funds, be leery of accepting personal checks and bank official checks. There's a ton of counterfeit bank official checks floating everywhere. Banks will release the funds the next day after the deposit, but counterfeit checks can still be returned 5 - 7 days later by the maker bank - after determining the check has been counterfeited. By now , victims typically have released the car and/or spent the funds derived from the counterfeit item and again, will be held responsible for any overdrawn balance created on the bank account.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Since you dont seem to be in Houston area and thus talking about it here wont hurt your sale, I am going to go ahead and say it.

VWs suck when it comes to reliability and that particular model you have has a bad track record. Your car itself has already had a major replacement within its warranty period. Hardly confidence inspiring and this is just the beginning.

As such you will have to be a little patient when it comes to selling it.

You should not have bought it but at least you are doing the smart thing now and getting rid of it.

If your car was a Honda or a Toyota with the same mileage that your car has, it would have had several inquiries, couple of solid offers, and would have already been sold by now. There is a reason those cars command premium resale value.

12. fchowd0311

The MK6(2010-2014) GTI doesn't really have a bad track record. Yes, obviously it isn't as reliable as a Civic or Corolla but then those do not have something as complicated as a dual clutch transmission. There is a market for people who want fun affordable cars and those people know that dual clutch transmissions require more maintenance. I would say the transmission swap is actually a positive since the new transmission only has 20,000 miles instead of 57,000 miles.

The GTI had a bad track record with reliability when it first introduced dual clutch in their MK5 generation. I think I might need to lower the price anyways because of some minor issues such as the bent rim and some scrapes under the bumper. Similar GTIs with similar mileage and model year are going for $17,000+. Also, keep in mind I'm giving away two full sets of tires, one of them being Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are highly praised.

#32 fchowd0311, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015