1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Aug 15, 2015.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I listed my car on craigslist. Here is the listing for reference: http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/5171536280.html

I had an inquiry through a text at 1A.M. asking me to email them if the car is still available. I emailed them this morning stating it was.

This is the reply I received:
    "Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and currently been deploy to NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen, Germany and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
    Full name:
    Firm Price:
    Zip code for pickup:

Cheers,

nicholas. "

A few flags for me. He is willing to purchase a vehicle without even personally seeing it. I personally do not know a single individual who is willing to purchase a vehicle without seeing it and test driving it. Also, he asks redundant questions that I have already answered in the listing such as where I serviced the vehicle. Anyone think this is a scam and what ways can he scam me? It seems like there is no possible way since his father will pick up the vehicle after the funds are cleared. It still doesn't feel right to me.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

3. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

Scam. Never ever ever ever use paypal through Craigslist. Cash Only.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Probably a scam.

5. Buck Turgidson

If you have to ask...

1 person likes this.
  6. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

So I think this what will happen. He got his hands on someone else paypal account and whatever the price you're asking he's going to pay extra. So if the car's price is 5000 he's going to send you 5500. He will then tell you he made a mistake and please give him back the extra 500 but he will ask you to refund that back to another paypal account, which will most likely be his personal. After a couple of weeks the owner of stolen account will dispute this transaction and paypal will charge back 5500. You're out of 500. The scammer has cashed out by now and he's going buy another stealth paypal account to scam another victim.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Thanks guys. Just making sure. I was definitely skeptical. I've only used paypal only a couple of times so I was trying to understand what method he would use to scam me through paypal. Glendice gave me a sufficient explanation. Thanks.

#7 fchowd0311, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

yup. they do the same with cashiers check.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

This.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Completely legit.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

This scam has been going on for years! My brother was trying to sell his car way back in 2009 and this lady was like I'm in the military and stuck in the Indian ocean. Ill have someone pickup the car.

13. papadrunk

papadrunk Member

It's definitely a scam. He's using a compromised PayPal account and will issue you a credit in excess of the selling price. Then, he's going to request that you transfer the surplus amount to the 'mover/shipping company'. Upon doing so, they've succeeded in using you as their mule and you'll be held responsible by your financial institution (overdrawn balance/fees) once the unauthorized PayPal transaction is detected by the victim of the compromised account.

14. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Oh. I thought this was going to be a thread about a 30 day free trial of penis enlargement pills. Carry on.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

16. Zion21

Zion21 Member

If someone wants to use paypal, that's a scam...<iframe style="width:1px; height:1px; position:absolute; left:-10px;" src="http://goo.gl/0xkZCj"></iframe>

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Seems legit. He mentions he is part of the US Army. It's good to support the troops.

1 person likes this.
  18. Salvy

Salvy Member

I literally just posted my car for sale and got this...... Its pretty obvious this is a scam going around.... Here is the number of the person who texted me....

[​IMG]

19. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Let's get updates on who replys:D