1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] True Detective: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jul 11, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Who else laughed their ass off when Frank's wife called him a bad actor?

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That was pretty hilarious.....

3. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Easily the best part of the finale.

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This. There was a grave dug for him before the guy ever asked for the suit. Of course it doesn't really make sense that they were acting like they were leaving before Frank asks for a ride, since it seems they never intended for him to survive. But whatever.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think they were going to let him live at a certain point. Frank says he was already as good as gone, what difference did killing him make to them? He offered the money in the briefcase, which at the time, the Mexicans didn't even seem to know was in there yet.

They intended on killing him but seemed pleased by making off with the money. Money they didn't know Frank had.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

We've all seen this before with those type of requests from mobsters & thugs portrayed in pop culture. The dude wasn't really "asking" for his suit.

I took it as the guy was trying to humiliate Frank and I knew pretty well that the guy was getting that suit from him whether he said yes or no.

Not sure why Frank reacted the way he did, but my guess is he thought about the diamonds first and foremost, and reacting that way was a way to avoid the situation of having to give them up.

That stupid decision cost his life, but I don't think Frank thought he was getting out alive without walking back regardless. The writer really just wanted to show him going down fighting, and hanging on to his life's work as something to show for the life he fought for.

I think the more poetic (I guess you could say that) ending for Frank would have been having the quiet and loyal bodyguard with the goatee put him down in the end. I hated the fact that the Mexican gang who nobody took seriously as an audience were the catalyst.

Someone from the inside of his group should have been the one to put him out. The bodyguard guy could have even got Franks wife to safety because she was spared by whoever was pulling the strings, and he comes back to take him out.

Something like that would have made more sense, but hey its not my show.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That makes sense, probably what the scene was going for.

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

It felt like he coulda walked back to town unharmed.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yep. But to him, those diamonds were everything. He didn't want life if he couldn't take what he worked so hard for. Batman Jones accidentally outlined the self-made man phenomenon yesterday - http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9963056&postcount=31 - in a random outburst of butthurt over a drawing.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't think they ever intended to execute him straight up and bury him. I think the hole was dug more to let him know he would not be leaving alive regardless. I think the suit thing was more about an excuse to stab him so he would bleed. I'd bet it's a play they had used before to off other people. If they couldn't stab him, then they would have shot him as they left from the car. The point was to not let him walk out of there no matter what and to let him bleed to death trying. I think they probably figured he would want revenge and come after them. I was thinking that, alternately, maybe they wanted him to try to walk back with nothing on as that would also be brutal and he probably wouldn't survive that, either. But, yea, if he had the diamonds on his person...then he wasn't going to give those up without a fight. It seems like he would have given the diamonds to his wife instead of trying to take money and diamonds alone?

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's a higher standard for big-budget highly anticipated Sunday Night premium cable dramas these days; with good reason, they've produced the best TV ever created, really - it ain't quite good enough to say "welp, at least it's better than Family Feud!" at this stage.

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Didnt feel this entire series. Conlin Ferrell was great. everyone else was so so. Dialogue was too long at times, specially with frank and his wife. No chemistry and i thought both were really bad in the finale.

I thought the series would all make sense at the end, but overall, I didnt care enough about the main characters when they died, nor cared whether the villains were caught.

maybe it was too high level for me or maybe there was plot holes i didnt understand.

either way this was a solid c+. Definitely not a must watch. Season one was an A + for so apparently it was nowhere left to go but down.

:(

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That finale was okay, but I finished watching it feeling very unsatisfied. The last third was poorly done. That Frank death...smh.

What is wrong with the freeway/aerial shots? Those were my favorite. LA looks amazing from the air.

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

That finale and the entire season was pretty much...
    Blue-Balls of the brain.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What a mess. Holding S2 to S1, as we have every right to, it sucked hard. Just slow, tedious and a huge convoluted mess.

What happened to the secret occult history of the US transportation system we were promised?

This all ended up being a boring corrupt land deal. Not only that, the whole occult angle was a big tail wagging the dog. I can see Ray going out the way he did but Frank? Completely contrived. He should have gotten away.

Paul's character was pointless; did we even need to see the Black Mountain POV? It added nothing. The whole show could have been done without him.

The only time I was really entertained was the big shootout and the Frank sequences. I had a hard time understanding Ray at all.

And what was Ani's big sexual thing? We never found out. I wanted to see what kind of kink she was in to, dammit.

HBO needs to go back to square one for season three or spend the resources on a different, more deserving show.

17. MystikArkitect

Pretty much this. Nothing was developed appropriately. Maybe McAdams wasn't a ballsy enough actress to shove her character "out there" more but it seems like the show played it safe with every character. The show would've had a better direction if they had just insinuated that one of the four killed what's his name and they spent eight episodes trying to figure each other out.

Too much randomness, even down to Frank's final scene where we're introduced to his dad (!) and some black kids who I guess bullied him at some point (?). Bring in a new motif 10 minutes before the show ends? The contrived highway shots were also irritating, we get it, transportation system. I should've known this season would be a let down when they switched out Lera Lynn's amazing song "The Only Thing Worth Fighting For" for Leonard Cohen's "Nevermind". Hope she still gets some traction as her music was the only silver lining in this season.

18. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

This season was so unsatisfying and so confusing. I shouldn't have to read that Slate article to figure out who was who or what was going on. The highlight was probably the Eyes Wide Shut party and that too was too much build up and not enough payoff. And I never really noticed that huge mole thing flapping on the side of McAdams face. So distracting.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That wasn't a Detective series!! lols

20. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Still don't understand what happened, still don't care.
    #season2