1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans reportedly wanted Melvin Gordon in the 2015 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

What if they got Johnson, Dorsett, and Perryman?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Carr was there too, I think they just didn't want to sink that high of a pick into a QB that probably wouldn't be that good. We'll be able to judge these drafts a lot better in 3 or 4 years after we have a better idea of what everyone is going to turn into and where the franchise sits.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Texans would have made the Playoffs with Bridgewater last year. Now they still have a questionable QB situation (top 5 worse in the league) and are hoping on career backups like Hoyer and Mallett to perform.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, they'd have done amazing with a QB who was throwing more interceptions than TD's for most of the season...a guy who threw 3 fewer TD's and 4 more interceptions than Fitz in 1 more game than Fitz.

Yeah, that guy would have taken us all the way.....smh crazy Bridgewater fans never stop with that nonsense.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Your hatred toward Bridgewater has become irrational. Like it or not he's FAR better than the two doorknobs BoB is planning to go with this season.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd probably take him over Hoyer, but so far Bridgewater hasn't even outplayed Fitz from last year....which is sad.

Personally I think Mallett's ceiling is a lot higher than Bridgewater's....but we'll see. Maybe Bridgewater comes out this year a totally different player, one that isn't a sack or interception waiting to happen and finally lives up to being the player his fans think he already is.

7. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

All of this hindsight/player admiration is getting out of hand. Everything points to the Texans trading back/not up. They weren't taking a RB in the 1st. The Chargers didn't jump ahead of us to snag Melvin, the jumped ahead of us to block a potential trade back by Houston to a team that was potentially RB needy. Gordon was the Chargers main focus and they were going to make sure they had their guy, so they jumped ahead to insure no team the Texans would potentially trade back with could get him.

I've stayed out of the Bridgewater discussion this whole time because I don't see him being a game changing franchise QB, but nor do I see him being a complete bust. I think he's a shorter Alex Smith (good game manager) but not much else. The Aaron Rodgers comparisons I've heard from media and people before/after draft is outrageous. Rodgers is far more athletic and although the same height, overall larger. Rodgers strength is one of main attributes that Bridgewater can't ever touch.

The Texans had their plan set in place to continue building the defense to help protect a weak offense, in order to give O'brien time to overhaul offensive players to meet his scheme and to hold out as long as possible in finding a QB. O'brien isn't going to tie himself to anyone he doesn't feel will be a franchise guy. It's a career ending decision when you tie yourself to a guy that just isn't good enough. He'll wait it out as long as he possibly can before the FO forces him to do something about it.

I do feel however that if either Hoyer/Mallet show him nothing, they will draft a guy next year. Hopefully by then Savage has developed far enough to compete for QB1 with a rookie and/or be good enough to be QB2. Tired of carrying 2 de facto starters and a 3rd stringer.

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

If he was not David Carr's brother, there would have been less trepidation about him.
    I think he will be a good QB in this league.
    He was on my radar in the second round.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He is better than Hoyer, Mallett, and Clowney so far though. Fact.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, but he hasn't been better than Fitz last year so far though. Fact.

11. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

I wanted the Skins to draft this guy so badly last year. Alot of our fans are making a huge deal out of experimenting Brandon Scheriff at RT not working out = he is a bust at pick #5. When in reality hes a beast at RG and someone we drafted last yr in the 3rd round is fitting the RT mold nicely.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I have it on pretty good sources that Bridgewater was not even on the Texans radar. They did not want him. So we can stop with the "what would be if we traded up or didnt let vikings trade up"

On that note, he was worse than Fitz, and say what you will about Hoyer, but not understanding the immediate hate of Mallett already. He has played 2.5 games in his career, and was hurt for one of them.. give the guy a chance.