1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans-Broncos 8/9 7:30

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FLAGRANT1, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Last year we got by with a lot of smoke and mirrors. Hell, Gannon completed something like 20+ straight against us one game, and we were God awful on third downs. Add to the fact that we lost Denard Walker, and kept Deltha O'Neal around, and our DB's are a LOT weaker. We still have a HUGE hole at RDE as well. At least our DT's are deep.

Well, considering the fact you're the fattest city in the country, YES!
    :p

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Thanks for the cap..they were saying that they were playin a real basic defensive scheme tonight, so I hope that things look better when the season starts.

Helluva nice run huh? Impressive...:D

Ya bastig...I aughta...;)

3. oscuro

oscuro Member

it was a pretty good game we could have won if andre would have caught the pass from carr in the first quarter

4. lnghrn4life

lnghrn4life Member

DAmn the fight song...they had the creators of it come out b4 the game started i wanted to hurt them seriously...and then they played after we scored each time and just randomly. That has to be the most annoying song ever. AHHHHHHH

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

J.J. Moses a Pro Bowler?? Hey it can happen:cool:

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

Did anybody see Tony Banks take up a whole chunk of grass when he slid? I thought that could've been dangerous.

Also that Eric Brown hit had me rolling. I was surprised to see him smiling.

7. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

The game had some good moments tonight. Only if Andre had held on to that pass, it woulda been so sweet! J.J. Moses is wearing the number Jermiane Lewis did last year and he's looking a lot better in that number then Jermaine did. Mack did great, had some good gains and catches....I can't really remember our running backs catching passes last year and I saw all 16 games. I love our cheerleaders so much!!! I might have spent more time watching them than I did the game. They are the best in the NFL, gots to be!

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That'd be Jay Foreman, son of former NFLer Chuck Foreman, and my favorite Texan from last year.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

The Texans O-Line will continue to be a problem this year...

The D should be good, but Coleman (?) got beat bad Saturday...

10. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I thought the O line did good that game. David Carr didn't get sacked once and Stacey Mack was running the ball well cause the line was doing good. And Marcus Coleman getting beat bad Saturday? I didn't see that, and I watched the whole game.It was probably someone else.

#30 BmwM3, Aug 11, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2003
  11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Why oh why did Channel 13 hire that Spurs homer Joel "you got that right padnah" Meyers as the commentator? What happened to that Terry Gannon guy from last year?

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hey, just thought I'd chime in (late, as usual). I was actually in Houston this weekend, and I got the opportunity to go to my first Texans game (albeit a preseason one). My parents and sister have season tickets (visitor's side, 50 yard line, 10 rows up -- it's nice to have connections :) ). Let me just say that the stadium is freaking huge! Makes the Astrodome look tiny, and that's no small feat...

I thought our team did just okay. Andre Johnson missed an easy catch, and that had me stewing for a long period (biggest knock on him before the draft was his hands, and I KNOW that's going to be an issue this year with the power Carr puts behind his passes). Other than that, I really can't comment much on the team. Mack looked decent, Wells looked awful, Portis looked DAMN good, Ragone pleasantly surprised me, and Plummer was just "meh."

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So the catch Johnson missed was an easy one, then? I didn't get to see any of the game.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're number one reciever should have good hands. I know some are going to say I'm being negative or its only his first preseason game, but if the guy doesn't become a sure handed receiver, this will not be a good pick down the road. Guys like Moss, Harrison, Moulds, Holt and Owens, as much they can out run, out muscle, and out jump opponents, they catch the ball. Again, I'm not panicking, this was his weakness in College.

That being said, I don't know who else the Texans could have taken, they needed to take an offensive player, there was no Offensive Tackle good enough to take with the third pick, and there were no running backs, and we already have David Carr. So we will see.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, there was no excuse for him dropping it. At first glance, I thought the defender got a finger on the ball, but from a different angle it was clear his hand wasn't even anywhere near the ball, and it dropped right in Johnson's arms, he just muffed the catch. It's not all that big of a deal...it happens to the best of them. I just hope it doesn't become a trend (I really don't think it will).

You know, everyone keeps focussing on that particular play and the fact that Johnson dropped a TD pass...but has anyone bothered to point out yet that the throw Carr made on that play was absolutely picture perfect? (someone might have, and I just missed it). I just felt like saying that, since it is easy to forget when we are all focusing on Andre and his hands right now. I am really going to enjoy watching Carr and Johnson grow and develop together.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Here is an interesting tidbit from mid November of last year (this is from a Savannah newspaper article about the Falcons receiver- Brian Finneran):

"At least Finneran can take comfort in knowing he's not alone. Among the league leaders in dropped passes are Arizona's David Boston (10), Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison (eight), Buffalo's Eric Moulds (seven) and four stars with six each -- Minnesota's Randy Moss, Oakland's Jerry Rice, Jacksonville's Jimmy Smith and St. Louis' Torry Holt."

Every receiver drops passes.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Of those guys were any of them questioned for their hands coming out of College.