1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ausmus is only making $7,000 this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Oski2005, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I was zooming around the salary lists at ESPN and I noticed that Ausmus is only getting paid 7 grand. While checking other payrolls, I noticed that Sheffield is only making 11 grand.

Are these mistakes by ESPN or are these guys on some kind of deffered payment plan?

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It shows in his hitting.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Everyone hear about Brad thinking about retiring after this season? I thought it was a joke when my friend mentioned it, but he said it was on Fox news on sunday night. Anyone?

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yes, I have heard that before.

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

haven't heard that... i'd be willing to bet money that Brad keeps on playing.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

He's still overpaid on a $ per basehit basis.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What's more important, Ausmus hitting on a team that has plenty of hitters, or Ausmus holding together a staff that is missing good pitchers? Everybody in sports is overpaid, but Ausmus more than makes up for his crappy bat with what he does behind the plate.

I heard that Ausmus was considering playing for the Padres for 1 or 2 years, then retire. Either way, I doubt he's an Astro next year. Buck is supposed to be Ausmus with a bat, but he's hitting in the .260's right now. Hopefully he finds his stroke for next year.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Maybe all salaries are denoted in thousands.

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Man I actually like Ausmus. He calls a good game, and is one of the best at throwing out players that try and steal bases. I treasure him for his defense more then anything especially considering that we have such a complete lineup outside of his presence. Not every catcher can hit like Javy Lopez. Actually isn't Javy Lopez a below average catcher defense wise? Same way I thought for Piazza. A guy that swung a good bat, but not much else.

11. vangundy

vangundy Member

I cringe whenever Ausmus is at-bat, but the Astros would be below .500 without him.

Most teams would gladly take an Ausmus behind the plate.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Me too, but I scream whenever Zaun is at-bat.;)

13. haven

haven Member

There's no evidence that there's anything such as catcher ERA.

Even if there were, Ausmus' hitting has become so atrocious that he'd have to make a remarkable meaningful impact on ERA. We know, pretty much for a fact, that he doesn't.

Sorry, Ausmus used to be decent, now he sucks.